Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Ships

  • Peter Nolan
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
      Both kits and finished models. I've been happy with the way these cut and
      go together. There is a lot of plastic in these, and a lot of parts, But
      the structure itself isn't that complicated, as far as ships go.

      On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Smith <smithflsmith@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Will these be offered as kits or finished models? Being in Michigan I
      > would like to be able to have a great lakes freighter on my layout. Isn't Z
      > scale the greatest. We can have models that would be almost impossible for
      > other scales.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nolan wrote:
      > >
      > > The Laker will be initially offered as a 730' ship with 18 hatches. I
      > would
      > > think that shortening it by about 27' increments, or one hatch each
      > > increment, wouldn't be hard. I think I'm not going to drive myself nuts
      > > offering kits of different lengths, although I will take the razor saw to
      > > built-ups.
      > >
      > > Also, the first of my Lakers has a 75' beam. Earlier ships had a 60' beam
      > > and were in the vicinity of 475' long. Once I finalize the 730'--well,
      > it's
      > > finalized, so it's now a matter of cutting it--I'll look at the earlier
      > 60'
      > > beam ships. That will require some redesign, rather than just a scaling.

    • dr strangelove
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
        What about those big loaders, rotary dumps, and other things found in the bigger scales. Some actually work. Be nice to see more river barges, loaders ect, too.
      • Peter Nolan
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
          It takes me about a month to fully develop a ship and get all the parts
          together. I'm not very familiar with the larger loaders and dumpers, so
          that might take a little longer.

        • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
            Folks,

            Somebody asked about the era of the harbor tug that I have plans for. It is modern, looks like most modern harbor tugs except it does not have the usual twin exhaust stacks. Think the exhaust is vented through the hull. It wouldn't be hard to add vertical exhaust stacks.

            CheerZ,
            -- Malcolm Z
            MCZ Models