Marklin's 5 3/4 inch (#8510) curve track

  • southridge90
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16 9:15 PM
      Hello,

      I'm new to Z trains and do not have a dealer anywhere close to me for guidance or purchases. Do you think Marklin's 5 3/4 inch (#8510) curve track , making a half circle, will fit in an area which is 12" wide? I want to make a portable train lay out in a 12 3/4 inch wide by 34 inch long case.

      I have Marklin #81865 train set. The engine is pretty long. Not even sure the engine can handle the curve.......
    • BAZ
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17 8:08 AM
        Not really. The 5-3/4" (145mm) is the radius so 2x. is 11-1/2". The track is 1/4" between the rails but 7/16 across the ties (call it a 1/2") so now it is 12". When you run trains, especially on the curves, the loco and rolling stock will easily exceed this.

        The attaché and Kibri type layouts use that same radius to make their over/under double oval. Most everything will run on it, even the steam locos. But it looks funny.

        Jeff

        On Feb 16, 2013, at 9:15 PM, "southridge90" <southridge90@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm new to Z trains and do not have a dealer anywhere close to me for guidance or purchases. Do you think Marklin's 5 3/4 inch (#8510) curve track , making a half circle, will fit in an area which is 12" wide? I want to make a portable train lay out in a 12 3/4 inch wide by 34 inch long case.
        >
        > I have Marklin #81865 train set. The engine is pretty long. Not even sure the engine can handle the curve.......

      • Eddie Hen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17 1:39 PM
          Jeff,
            Thank you so much for your response. Guess it's back to looking for another case.....  Eddie

          ________________________________

          On Feb 16, 2013, at 9:15 PM, "southridge90" mailto:southridge90%40yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm new to Z trains and do not have a dealer anywhere close to me for guidance or purchases. Do you think Marklin's 5 3/4 inch (#8510) curve track , making a half circle, will fit in an area which is 12" wide? I want to make a portable train lay out in a 12 3/4 inch wide by 34 inch long case.
          >
          > I have Marklin #81865 train set. The engine is pretty long. Not even sure the engine can handle the curve.......

        • Nathan Leon
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19 9:24 AM
            Eddie,

            Just a thought, but it sounds like if the track is flush with the opened case, then the cars can exceed the wall of the case while the track just squeaks in.

            Nathan
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 19 12:26 PM
              If you build into a case, put it on the lower profile lid (upside down case).
              This allows for much better visual, instead of looking down inside.  Similar to
              Nathan's comment.
               Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z

              ________________________________

              wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I'm new to Z trains and do not have a dealer anywhere close to me for guidance
              >or purchases. Do you think Marklin's 5 3/4 inch (#8510) curve track , making a
              >half circle, will fit in an area which is 12" wide? I want to make a portable
              >train lay out in a 12 3/4 inch wide by 34 inch long case.
              >
              > I have Marklin #81865 train set. The engine is pretty long. Not even sure the
              >engine can handle the curve.......

            • Kevin Brady
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 19 12:51 PM
                Hi all,
                Eddie, have you considered building you own case?
                Jeff,agreed.Having the the lower half(and the baseboard above that
                will make the layout look bigger.To make a scene/layout look bigger the
                background rises(hills,trees,etc.) Smaller, the layout slopes down,scenery
                wise.
                In any case*cough* I would still hinge the baseboard so it can be lifted
                for wiring/maintenance/gremlins.

                Best,Kev

                Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

              • Eddie Hen
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 19 8:13 PM
                  Thank everone for your comments. I'm starting to go down the road of building my own case. It will be awhile, just had shoulder surgery.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 20 7:22 PM
                    Thanks Nathan.