Re: Ships

  • pnolan48
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 15, 2013
      see these ships. Perhaps you could create an album on the Z_scale
      yahoogroup?<br>> <br>> You do not specify what scale these would be,
      but I assume Z scale. I'd love to see more and would be a
      customer.<br>> <br>> At present I have plans for a number of ships.
      Recently I bought plans for an modern tug and a modern bulk freighter.
      The tug is a single sheet at 1:64, but I plan to reduce it to 1:220.
      The bulk freighter is 1:250, which could be enlarged to 1:220 (but it's
      6 sheets).<br>> <br>> I also have plans for the Sidney Express and the
      Atlantic Conveyor class of ships. Anyone interested?<br>> <br>>
      differently than the forums I'm used to, but I'll try. First is a photo
      from my Alabama winter home, where I was able to make prototypes, in Z
      scale, for a 375' feeder container ship of 550 TEUs; a 614'
      near-Panamax container ship of 2200 TEUs; and sitting on the deck, a
      125' Active-class cutter just in the early
      stages.<br><br>[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WwaiQgwEd2U/UQCrd\
      vP0C7I/AAAAAAAABmE/BMmPgft_GP8/s1538/4152ZScaleContainerShipsCompare.jpg\
      [/IMG]<br><br>I was also able to prototype, also in Z, a 730' Great
      Lakes Bulk Carrier. I don't have a photo setup down in 'Bama, so excuse
      that these all are
      rough:<br><br>[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4QNByhtnV6E/URG-R3\
      0rTlI/AAAAAAAABqM/eV69rlDy1zU/s1538/4168LakerLength.jpg[/IMG]<br><br>[IM\
      G]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ShKZiMeXPuo/URAtt1SWKzI/AAAAAAAABp4\
      /Gvw45NQH3yU/s849/4174LakerBowPainted.jpg[/IMG]<br><br>[IMG]https://lh6.\
      googleusercontent.com/-ShoBhy3JKH4/URAtthNal_I/AAAAAAAABpc/PfmqqoZJ10E/s\
      1150/4173LakerStern.jpg[/IMG]<br><br>Let's see if this post works, then
      I'll show the other ships. I'm back in Ohio, so I can put these into
    • Peter Nolan
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 15, 2013
        Well, I tried a response, and don't know where it went. Am I still under
        moderation as a new member? So, let's try again.

        In Z scale this winter in Alabama, I drew, cut and made the prototypes for
        a 375' feeder container ship of 550 TEUs, a 614' near-Panamax of 2200 TEUs,
        a 730' Great Lakes bulk freighter, and a Z scale version of my N scale 125'
        USCG Active class cutter.

        Here's the container ships and the cutter (sitting on the deck):

        [IMG]
        https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WwaiQgwEd2U/UQCrdvP0C7I/AAAAAAAABmE/BMmPgft_GP8/s1395/4152ZScaleContainerShipsCompare.jpg%5b/IMG]

        I'm going to stop here for now and see how this posts.

      • Peter Nolan
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
          For now, you can see a non-annotated album over at google:

          https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115398431295896291774/albums/5564355664136605137?hl=en

          This is just my storage space, and the ships in N and Z are near the end of
          the album.

          I'll try to move them over to Yahoo in the future. I am busy making ships
          most of the time, so I sometimes neglect showing them properly on the
          various forums and groups. While I spent my entire career in marketing, I'd
          now rather build ships than market them.

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
            Pete,

            I don't think you quite realize the size of the sleeping giant you may have
            awakened? You may be the answer to the guys who want ship and boat models
            in Z scale. Your workmanship is excellent and you have the skills to bring
            Z scale craft to life. Might be spendy for those who want to bite, but I
            can tell, they would get a prize of a fish if they were to cast their line
            in your direction.

            Very nice work.

            Loren

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
              Ummmmm--yep!

              I'll confess that I've been dribbling announcements out because I did not
              know if I could actually make these ships in a timely manner. As I've
              gotten more experienced in making ten ships rather then one, I'm getting
              more confident. Complicating the matter has been my wife's eye problem,
              which turned into a one year tour through medical facilities three hours
              away, and other family issues that have had me split time between Ohio and
              Alabama.

              Since things have settled down, I'm ready to announce and ship. Yes, the
              ships are pricey, but the amount and quality of the details account for
              that. I call these "near-museum quality." In some details they exceed
              museum quality; in the quality of workmanship (mine) they may fall short in
              other details.

              I've been pleasantly surprised at the orders coming in. And local sales
              have been extraordinary. I brought five 125' Active class cutters to a
              local club meeting, and sold four of them at $775 each (with a local
              discount, a little less). It seems, once a person has actually held one of
              them in his hands, it's his (or hers). They are pricey, and some of that is
              the parts themselves. Good lifeboats are expensive, as are good fittings,
              and they are a lot of fittings on these ships.

              The Z scale container ships and Lakers don't have so many fittings, but
              they eat up an enormous amount of PE brass. I'll have a firm price soon.

            • proverbs30789
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
                I would like to encourage the development and sale of the Great Lakes ships! I for one would be very interested since part of my planned layout will incorporate the Iron ore industry in Duluth! (circa 1940-1960) Also would be interested in smaller ocean-going cargo ships of the same era.

                Eric
              • Peter Nolan
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
                  The Laker will be initially offered as a 730' ship with 18 hatches. I would
                  think that shortening it by about 27' increments, or one hatch each
                  increment, wouldn't be hard. I think I'm not going to drive myself nuts
                  offering kits of different lengths, although I will take the razor saw to
                  built-ups.

                  Also, the first of my Lakers has a 75' beam. Earlier ships had a 60' beam
                  and were in the vicinity of 475' long. Once I finalize the 730'--well, it's
                  finalized, so it's now a matter of cutting it--I'll look at the earlier 60'
                  beam ships. That will require some redesign, rather than just a scaling.

                • Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                    Will these be offered as kits or finished models? Being in Michigan I would like to be able to have a great lakes freighter on my layout. Isn't Z scale the greatest. We can have models that would be almost impossible for other scales.

                    Thanks

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Both kits and finished models. I've been happy with the way these cut and
                      go together. There is a lot of plastic in these, and a lot of parts, But
                      the structure itself isn't that complicated, as far as ships go.

                      On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Smith <smithflsmith@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Will these be offered as kits or finished models? Being in Michigan I
                      > would like to be able to have a great lakes freighter on my layout. Isn't Z
                      > scale the greatest. We can have models that would be almost impossible for
                      > other scales.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nolan wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The Laker will be initially offered as a 730' ship with 18 hatches. I
                      > would
                      > > think that shortening it by about 27' increments, or one hatch each
                      > > increment, wouldn't be hard. I think I'm not going to drive myself nuts
                      > > offering kits of different lengths, although I will take the razor saw to
                      > > built-ups.
                      > >
                      > > Also, the first of my Lakers has a 75' beam. Earlier ships had a 60' beam
                      > > and were in the vicinity of 475' long. Once I finalize the 730'--well,
                      > it's
                      > > finalized, so it's now a matter of cutting it--I'll look at the earlier
                      > 60'
                      > > beam ships. That will require some redesign, rather than just a scaling.

                    • dr strangelove
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                        What about those big loaders, rotary dumps, and other things found in the bigger scales. Some actually work. Be nice to see more river barges, loaders ect, too.
                      • Peter Nolan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                          It takes me about a month to fully develop a ship and get all the parts
                          together. I'm not very familiar with the larger loaders and dumpers, so
                          that might take a little longer.

                        • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                            Folks,

                            Somebody asked about the era of the harbor tug that I have plans for. It is modern, looks like most modern harbor tugs except it does not have the usual twin exhaust stacks. Think the exhaust is vented through the hull. It wouldn't be hard to add vertical exhaust stacks.

                            CheerZ,
                            -- Malcolm Z
                            MCZ Models