Re: [Z_Scale] Ships

  • Randall Smidt
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 15, 2013
      Malcolm,

      I've seen these models posted on TrainBoard and they are NICE.

      I still haven't gotten anywhere with my projects due to too much stuff going on at home and at work, but maybe next year.  ;-)

      Can you describe the tug plans you have?  Modern, transition era, pre-war steam tug?

      Thanks,
      Randy

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 15, 2013
        I am interested, could you please show pictures on what you have today and what you plan to be convert to Z scale 1/220

        Thank you
        Henri

        Sent from my iPad

        On Feb 15, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Malcolm Kent Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > pnolan, I'd love to see these ships. Perhaps you could create an album on the Z_scale yahoogroup?
        >
        > You do not specify what scale these would be, but I assume Z scale. I'd love to see more and would be a customer.
        >
        > At present I have plans for a number of ships. Recently I bought plans for an modern tug and a modern bulk freighter. The tug is a single sheet at 1:64, but I plan to reduce it to 1:220. The bulk freighter is 1:250, which could be enlarged to 1:220 (but it's 6 sheets).
        >
        > I also have plans for the Sidney Express and the Atlantic Conveyor class of ships. Anyone interested?
        >
        > CheerZ,
        > -- Malcolm Z
        > MCZ Models

      • pnolan48
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 15, 2013
          see these ships. Perhaps you could create an album on the Z_scale
          yahoogroup?<br>> <br>> You do not specify what scale these would be,
          but I assume Z scale. I'd love to see more and would be a
          customer.<br>> <br>> At present I have plans for a number of ships.
          Recently I bought plans for an modern tug and a modern bulk freighter.
          The tug is a single sheet at 1:64, but I plan to reduce it to 1:220.
          The bulk freighter is 1:250, which could be enlarged to 1:220 (but it's
          6 sheets).<br>> <br>> I also have plans for the Sidney Express and the
          Atlantic Conveyor class of ships. Anyone interested?<br>> <br>>
          differently than the forums I'm used to, but I'll try. First is a photo
          from my Alabama winter home, where I was able to make prototypes, in Z
          scale, for a 375' feeder container ship of 550 TEUs; a 614'
          near-Panamax container ship of 2200 TEUs; and sitting on the deck, a
          125' Active-class cutter just in the early
          stages.<br><br>[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WwaiQgwEd2U/UQCrd\
          vP0C7I/AAAAAAAABmE/BMmPgft_GP8/s1538/4152ZScaleContainerShipsCompare.jpg\
          [/IMG]<br><br>I was also able to prototype, also in Z, a 730' Great
          Lakes Bulk Carrier. I don't have a photo setup down in 'Bama, so excuse
          that these all are
          rough:<br><br>[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4QNByhtnV6E/URG-R3\
          0rTlI/AAAAAAAABqM/eV69rlDy1zU/s1538/4168LakerLength.jpg[/IMG]<br><br>[IM\
          G]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ShKZiMeXPuo/URAtt1SWKzI/AAAAAAAABp4\
          /Gvw45NQH3yU/s849/4174LakerBowPainted.jpg[/IMG]<br><br>[IMG]https://lh6.\
          googleusercontent.com/-ShoBhy3JKH4/URAtthNal_I/AAAAAAAABpc/PfmqqoZJ10E/s\
          1150/4173LakerStern.jpg[/IMG]<br><br>Let's see if this post works, then
          I'll show the other ships. I'm back in Ohio, so I can put these into
        • Peter Nolan
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 15, 2013
            Well, I tried a response, and don't know where it went. Am I still under
            moderation as a new member? So, let's try again.

            In Z scale this winter in Alabama, I drew, cut and made the prototypes for
            a 375' feeder container ship of 550 TEUs, a 614' near-Panamax of 2200 TEUs,
            a 730' Great Lakes bulk freighter, and a Z scale version of my N scale 125'
            USCG Active class cutter.

            Here's the container ships and the cutter (sitting on the deck):

            [IMG]
            https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WwaiQgwEd2U/UQCrdvP0C7I/AAAAAAAABmE/BMmPgft_GP8/s1395/4152ZScaleContainerShipsCompare.jpg%5b/IMG]

            I'm going to stop here for now and see how this posts.

          • Peter Nolan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
              For now, you can see a non-annotated album over at google:

              https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115398431295896291774/albums/5564355664136605137?hl=en

              This is just my storage space, and the ships in N and Z are near the end of
              the album.

              I'll try to move them over to Yahoo in the future. I am busy making ships
              most of the time, so I sometimes neglect showing them properly on the
              various forums and groups. While I spent my entire career in marketing, I'd
              now rather build ships than market them.

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
                Pete,

                I don't think you quite realize the size of the sleeping giant you may have
                awakened? You may be the answer to the guys who want ship and boat models
                in Z scale. Your workmanship is excellent and you have the skills to bring
                Z scale craft to life. Might be spendy for those who want to bite, but I
                can tell, they would get a prize of a fish if they were to cast their line
                in your direction.

                Very nice work.

                Loren

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
                  Ummmmm--yep!

                  I'll confess that I've been dribbling announcements out because I did not
                  know if I could actually make these ships in a timely manner. As I've
                  gotten more experienced in making ten ships rather then one, I'm getting
                  more confident. Complicating the matter has been my wife's eye problem,
                  which turned into a one year tour through medical facilities three hours
                  away, and other family issues that have had me split time between Ohio and
                  Alabama.

                  Since things have settled down, I'm ready to announce and ship. Yes, the
                  ships are pricey, but the amount and quality of the details account for
                  that. I call these "near-museum quality." In some details they exceed
                  museum quality; in the quality of workmanship (mine) they may fall short in
                  other details.

                  I've been pleasantly surprised at the orders coming in. And local sales
                  have been extraordinary. I brought five 125' Active class cutters to a
                  local club meeting, and sold four of them at $775 each (with a local
                  discount, a little less). It seems, once a person has actually held one of
                  them in his hands, it's his (or hers). They are pricey, and some of that is
                  the parts themselves. Good lifeboats are expensive, as are good fittings,
                  and they are a lot of fittings on these ships.

                  The Z scale container ships and Lakers don't have so many fittings, but
                  they eat up an enormous amount of PE brass. I'll have a firm price soon.

                • proverbs30789
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
                    I would like to encourage the development and sale of the Great Lakes ships! I for one would be very interested since part of my planned layout will incorporate the Iron ore industry in Duluth! (circa 1940-1960) Also would be interested in smaller ocean-going cargo ships of the same era.

                    Eric
                  • Peter Nolan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
                      The Laker will be initially offered as a 730' ship with 18 hatches. I would
                      think that shortening it by about 27' increments, or one hatch each
                      increment, wouldn't be hard. I think I'm not going to drive myself nuts
                      offering kits of different lengths, although I will take the razor saw to
                      built-ups.

                      Also, the first of my Lakers has a 75' beam. Earlier ships had a 60' beam
                      and were in the vicinity of 475' long. Once I finalize the 730'--well, it's
                      finalized, so it's now a matter of cutting it--I'll look at the earlier 60'
                      beam ships. That will require some redesign, rather than just a scaling.

                    • Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                        Will these be offered as kits or finished models? Being in Michigan I would like to be able to have a great lakes freighter on my layout. Isn't Z scale the greatest. We can have models that would be almost impossible for other scales.

                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                          Both kits and finished models. I've been happy with the way these cut and
                          go together. There is a lot of plastic in these, and a lot of parts, But
                          the structure itself isn't that complicated, as far as ships go.

                          On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Smith <smithflsmith@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Will these be offered as kits or finished models? Being in Michigan I
                          > would like to be able to have a great lakes freighter on my layout. Isn't Z
                          > scale the greatest. We can have models that would be almost impossible for
                          > other scales.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nolan wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The Laker will be initially offered as a 730' ship with 18 hatches. I
                          > would
                          > > think that shortening it by about 27' increments, or one hatch each
                          > > increment, wouldn't be hard. I think I'm not going to drive myself nuts
                          > > offering kits of different lengths, although I will take the razor saw to
                          > > built-ups.
                          > >
                          > > Also, the first of my Lakers has a 75' beam. Earlier ships had a 60' beam
                          > > and were in the vicinity of 475' long. Once I finalize the 730'--well,
                          > it's
                          > > finalized, so it's now a matter of cutting it--I'll look at the earlier
                          > 60'
                          > > beam ships. That will require some redesign, rather than just a scaling.

                        • dr strangelove
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                            What about those big loaders, rotary dumps, and other things found in the bigger scales. Some actually work. Be nice to see more river barges, loaders ect, too.
                          • Peter Nolan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                              It takes me about a month to fully develop a ship and get all the parts
                              together. I'm not very familiar with the larger loaders and dumpers, so
                              that might take a little longer.

                            • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                                Folks,

                                Somebody asked about the era of the harbor tug that I have plans for. It is modern, looks like most modern harbor tugs except it does not have the usual twin exhaust stacks. Think the exhaust is vented through the hull. It wouldn't be hard to add vertical exhaust stacks.

                                CheerZ,
                                -- Malcolm Z
                                MCZ Models