Re: For fun, Z scale up and down helix solar powered

  • gordini94
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
      Thank you for the info, drawing also helpfull but Z-helix is not using turn outs to connect the inner and outer cycles. If you take a look at the link:
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/gordinir8/track2_zpsc8f5fe0f.jpg
      I have upload a photo and note that particular part of the track which seems to using also a small straight part, probably 8588, i am looking for the rest piece

      If such a part is available for 195mm curve with 220mm curve instead of 195mm i can go a little bigger or as i said how about using a part of flexi track and do what i like? Do you think flexible track can do the connection? I think i must go and buy some tracks and experiment.

      Thomas

      www.thomasworkbench.com

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann wrote:

      > Hello Thomas,
      >
      > > I am planning to use marklin 8510,145mm radius and 8520, 195 mm radiu
      > > so I will have an inner 29cm cycle and an outer 39 cm cycle. The most
      > > ''difficult' thing will be the track part that will connect the outer
      > > with the inner cycle, I don't know if marklin has such a curve that
      > > will fit or i will need to use a flexi track.
      >
      > there are no curved turn outs that will connect a 145mm curve with a
      > 195mm curve directly.
      > The 195mm curve will connect with the 220mm curve by using the curved
      > turnouts 8568 and 8569. You will need one of each for each connection.
      > However, those curved turn outs are known to be a kind of a problem for
      > derailments if not set perfectly.
      >
      > The combination will look like this:
      >
      > outer curve in a 180° turn to the right:
      >
      > 8531 - 8568 - 8521 - 8521 - 8569 - 8531
      >
      > inner curve in this turn_
      >
      > 8569 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8568
      >
      > If you want to connect those lines in a straight you have two options:
      >
      > With a 25 mm gap as will result from using the 195mm and the 220mm curve
      > radii, you just need two right or two left turn outs. They will connect
      > the lines perfectly. When you want just to merge the two lines just
      > replace one turn out with a 8591 490mm curve.
      >
      > If you have a 50mm gap between the lines, as you will in your example
      > then you need to set the two turn outs and fill in a 8507 112.8mm
      > straight to get the right distance.
      >
      > GreetingZ
      >
      > Uwe

    • thomas cipelle
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
        hi uwe  I divied mine  into 2complete separate double helix separated  they run very  well fact one double helix has figue  eight running under it thom c.  0nes using MTL. track  other using  new roukhan with  90 degree  cross over.

        ________________________________
        > I am planning to use marklin 8510,145mm radius and 8520, 195 mm radiu
        > so I will have an inner 29cm cycle and an outer 39 cm cycle. The most
        > ''difficult' thing will be the track part that will connect the outer
        > with the inner cycle, I don't know if marklin has such a curve that
        > will fit or i will need to use a flexi track.

        there are no curved turn outs that will connect a 145mm curve with a
        195mm curve directly.
        The 195mm curve will connect with the 220mm curve by using the curved
        turnouts 8568 and 8569. You will need one of each for each connection.
        However, those curved turn outs are known to be a kind of a problem for
        derailments if not set perfectly.

        The combination will look like this:

        outer curve in a 180° turn to the right:

        8531 - 8568 - 8521 - 8521 - 8569 - 8531

        inner curve in this turn_

        8569 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8568

        If you want to connect those lines in a straight you have two options:

        With a 25 mm gap as will result from using the 195mm and the 220mm curve
        radii, you just need two right or two left turn outs. They will connect
        the lines perfectly. When you want just to merge the two lines just
        replace one turn out with a 8591 490mm curve.

        If you have a 50mm gap between the lines, as you will in your example
        then you need to set the two turn outs and fill in a 8507 112.8mm
        straight to get the right distance.

        GreetingZ

        Uwe

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
          Hello Thomas,

          > note that particular part of the track which seems to using
          > also a small straight part, probably 8588, i am looking for the rest piece
          >
          > If such a part is available for 195mm curve with 220mm curve
          > instead of 195mm i can go a little bigger...

          I just checked it out with my track planing software:

          the short straight is a 55mm section, probably a short terminal track
          like the one's used in those small suitcase boxes. But anyway, if you
          take a circle of 8510 (145mm radii) sections and include a 55mm straight
          (8503) before the last quarter turn then you can go on with 8520 (195mm
          radii) for the outer circle. The middle of both circles will be 5mm of
          center, but since those two helixes are not on the same base, it don't
          show much. But you can see it on your picture. The center of the inner
          circle is a little to the left of the center of the outer circle.

          For the same result in a combination of 8520 (195mm radii) for the inner
          circle and 8530 (220mm radii) for the outer circle you just have to
          exchange the 8503 straigth (55mm) with a 8504 straight (25mm), In this
          case the two circle lines will be apart only 25mm, but they will have
          the same center.

          I don't know about MTL and Rokuhan tracks if they have those short
          sections, but then you just have to customize a longer straight section.

          On another thought with flextrack you can do anything you want too... ;-)

          > www.thomasworkbench.com

          hey, I love your F104...

          GreetingZ

          Uwe
        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
            Hello Thomas,

            well, I'm a bit slow lately... ;-)

            I didn't realized that you meant a helix going up and then down again.
            My thought was a helix with a double line. I also mixed your idea up
            with the message from the other Thomas = thomasc600...

            But as I wrote the helix you showed will go with those Maerklin sections
            I named.

            About track planning software. I use Raily 4.0, which I bought many
            years ago. Now the current version is Raily 4 SE. You can get a demo
            version here:

            http://www.enigon.com/raily/en/

            another one that you can get fee is SCARM:

            http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html

            and then there is XTrackCAD which also runs under Linux and MacOSX:

            http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

            GreetingZ

            Uwe
          • thomas cipelle
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
              working  new lay out 30inches by 4ft  have no typical rentangle  shape lots S curves  3main lines 2are  more triangle has grade just est>40mm goes down flat area  3 switches  for storage using new 55mm roukhans then main line has  1 double slip marklin and 1 roukhan 13degreee 60% track is roukhan 35% mtl and55 MARKLIN works well track just temp down all main  lines engines capable pulling 15 car trains engines choice sd70  gp=35 and gp-38 due you have any Ideas pass to me make it interesting??? board is blue  pink  builders foam yours  Thomas trying make nice lay out for NMRA show in july.