For fun, Z scale up and down helix solar powered

  • Greg Elmassian
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
      Check out the video link on the right side..

      http://www.c-modell.de/presse.html

      Greg
    • Ell
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 8, 2013
        Any idea what it costs? I tried the Contact section on the site but kept getting an error message.

        Ell

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Elmassian" wrote:

        > Check out the video link on the right side..
        >
        > http://www.c-modell.de/presse.html
        >
        > Greg

      • pierrefv2005
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
          Try this site:

          http://www.c-modell.de/pdf/CMODELLPreise_201210.pdf

          More expensive then I thought.

        • ralph.scott@xtra.co.nz
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
            The double helix would be very useful! without the solar power and remote control. Check out the space age car carrier wagons he made for it.
            Ralph

          • Willy Fritz
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
              Well, what did you think? These are NOT model railroaders, this is a design
              business. They'd like to earn money with that.

              But the business-side aside:
              The idea of a smal z-layout as a show piece in the living room or the
              hallway seems attractive to me. Naturally I'd make it myself :-)

              Kind regards
              Willy

              > Any idea what it costs? I tried the Contact section on the site but kept
              > getting an error message.
              >
              > Ell
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Elmassian" wrote:
              > >
              > > Check out the video link on the right side..
              > >
              > > http://www.c-modell.de/presse.html
              > >
              > > Greg

            • gordini94
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                Ok as i was discussing with Ell earlier (I can't find my previous posts anyway)
                I am planning to use marklin 8510,145mm radius and 8520, 195 mm radius so I will have an inner 29cm cycle and an outer 39 cm cycle. The most ''difficult' thing will be the track part that will connect the outer with the inner cycle, I don't know if marklin has such a curve that will fit or i will need to use a flexi track. If someone knows please let me know about the track.

                Regarding the plexiglass i hope a friend of mine will design it in autocad and then go somewhere and cut it in 3-4mm plexiglass.

                Thomas

                Www.thomasworkbench.com

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                > The double helix would be very useful! without the solar power and remote control. Check out the space age car carrier wagons he made for it.
                > Ralph

              • Uwe Liermann
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                  Hello Thomas,

                  > I am planning to use marklin 8510,145mm radius and 8520, 195 mm radiu
                  > so I will have an inner 29cm cycle and an outer 39 cm cycle. The most
                  > ''difficult' thing will be the track part that will connect the outer
                  > with the inner cycle, I don't know if marklin has such a curve that
                  > will fit or i will need to use a flexi track.

                  there are no curved turn outs that will connect a 145mm curve with a
                  195mm curve directly.
                  The 195mm curve will connect with the 220mm curve by using the curved
                  turnouts 8568 and 8569. You will need one of each for each connection.
                  However, those curved turn outs are known to be a kind of a problem for
                  derailments if not set perfectly.

                  The combination will look like this:

                  outer curve in a 180° turn to the right:

                  8531 - 8568 - 8521 - 8521 - 8569 - 8531

                  inner curve in this turn_

                  8569 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8568

                  If you want to connect those lines in a straight you have two options:

                  With a 25 mm gap as will result from using the 195mm and the 220mm curve
                  radii, you just need two right or two left turn outs. They will connect
                  the lines perfectly. When you want just to merge the two lines just
                  replace one turn out with a 8591 490mm curve.

                  If you have a 50mm gap between the lines, as you will in your example
                  then you need to set the two turn outs and fill in a 8507 112.8mm
                  straight to get the right distance.

                  GreetingZ

                  Uwe
                • Uwe Liermann
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                    Hello Thomas,

                    I just remembered I had uploaded this some time ago. Perhaps it might be
                    helpful:

                    www.famliermann.de/TrackGeometry.jpg

                    GreetingZ

                    Uwe
                  • gordini94
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                      Thank you for the info, drawing also helpfull but Z-helix is not using turn outs to connect the inner and outer cycles. If you take a look at the link:
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/gordinir8/track2_zpsc8f5fe0f.jpg
                      I have upload a photo and note that particular part of the track which seems to using also a small straight part, probably 8588, i am looking for the rest piece

                      If such a part is available for 195mm curve with 220mm curve instead of 195mm i can go a little bigger or as i said how about using a part of flexi track and do what i like? Do you think flexible track can do the connection? I think i must go and buy some tracks and experiment.

                      Thomas

                      www.thomasworkbench.com

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann wrote:

                      > Hello Thomas,
                      >
                      > > I am planning to use marklin 8510,145mm radius and 8520, 195 mm radiu
                      > > so I will have an inner 29cm cycle and an outer 39 cm cycle. The most
                      > > ''difficult' thing will be the track part that will connect the outer
                      > > with the inner cycle, I don't know if marklin has such a curve that
                      > > will fit or i will need to use a flexi track.
                      >
                      > there are no curved turn outs that will connect a 145mm curve with a
                      > 195mm curve directly.
                      > The 195mm curve will connect with the 220mm curve by using the curved
                      > turnouts 8568 and 8569. You will need one of each for each connection.
                      > However, those curved turn outs are known to be a kind of a problem for
                      > derailments if not set perfectly.
                      >
                      > The combination will look like this:
                      >
                      > outer curve in a 180° turn to the right:
                      >
                      > 8531 - 8568 - 8521 - 8521 - 8569 - 8531
                      >
                      > inner curve in this turn_
                      >
                      > 8569 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8521 - 8568
                      >
                      > If you want to connect those lines in a straight you have two options:
                      >
                      > With a 25 mm gap as will result from using the 195mm and the 220mm curve
                      > radii, you just need two right or two left turn outs. They will connect
                      > the lines perfectly. When you want just to merge the two lines just
                      > replace one turn out with a 8591 490mm curve.
                      >
                      > If you have a 50mm gap between the lines, as you will in your example
                      > then you need to set the two turn outs and fill in a 8507 112.8mm
                      > straight to get the right distance.
                      >
                      > GreetingZ
                      >
                      > Uwe

                    • thomas cipelle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                        hi uwe  I divied mine  into 2complete separate double helix separated  they run very  well fact one double helix has figue  eight running under it thom c.  0nes using MTL. track  other using  new roukhan with  90 degree  cross over.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                          Hello Thomas,

                          > note that particular part of the track which seems to using
                          > also a small straight part, probably 8588, i am looking for the rest piece
                          >
                          > If such a part is available for 195mm curve with 220mm curve
                          > instead of 195mm i can go a little bigger...

                          I just checked it out with my track planing software:

                          the short straight is a 55mm section, probably a short terminal track
                          like the one's used in those small suitcase boxes. But anyway, if you
                          take a circle of 8510 (145mm radii) sections and include a 55mm straight
                          (8503) before the last quarter turn then you can go on with 8520 (195mm
                          radii) for the outer circle. The middle of both circles will be 5mm of
                          center, but since those two helixes are not on the same base, it don't
                          show much. But you can see it on your picture. The center of the inner
                          circle is a little to the left of the center of the outer circle.

                          For the same result in a combination of 8520 (195mm radii) for the inner
                          circle and 8530 (220mm radii) for the outer circle you just have to
                          exchange the 8503 straigth (55mm) with a 8504 straight (25mm), In this
                          case the two circle lines will be apart only 25mm, but they will have
                          the same center.

                          I don't know about MTL and Rokuhan tracks if they have those short
                          sections, but then you just have to customize a longer straight section.

                          On another thought with flextrack you can do anything you want too... ;-)

                          > www.thomasworkbench.com

                          hey, I love your F104...

                          GreetingZ

                          Uwe
                        • Uwe Liermann
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                            Hello Thomas,

                            well, I'm a bit slow lately... ;-)

                            I didn't realized that you meant a helix going up and then down again.
                            My thought was a helix with a double line. I also mixed your idea up
                            with the message from the other Thomas = thomasc600...

                            But as I wrote the helix you showed will go with those Maerklin sections
                            I named.

                            About track planning software. I use Raily 4.0, which I bought many
                            years ago. Now the current version is Raily 4 SE. You can get a demo
                            version here:

                            http://www.enigon.com/raily/en/

                            another one that you can get fee is SCARM:

                            http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html

                            and then there is XTrackCAD which also runs under Linux and MacOSX:

                            http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

                            GreetingZ

                            Uwe
                          • thomas cipelle
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                              working  new lay out 30inches by 4ft  have no typical rentangle  shape lots S curves  3main lines 2are  more triangle has grade just est>40mm goes down flat area  3 switches  for storage using new 55mm roukhans then main line has  1 double slip marklin and 1 roukhan 13degreee 60% track is roukhan 35% mtl and55 MARKLIN works well track just temp down all main  lines engines capable pulling 15 car trains engines choice sd70  gp=35 and gp-38 due you have any Ideas pass to me make it interesting??? board is blue  pink  builders foam yours  Thomas trying make nice lay out for NMRA show in july.