Re: [Z_Scale] Re: When will the time come for Switchers?

  • Nathan Leon
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
      90% of a model is still better than 0.

      --- On Mon, 2/4/13, publickarl wrote:

      From: publickarl
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: When will the time come for Switchers?
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, February 4, 2013, 10:03 AM

      > I want a GE 70 tonner in Z scale.

      That might be a tight fit. The truck of the 70T extends a bit beyond the back of the cab; the PowerMAX truck might not fit under the frame there--certainly not with the pivot mounting shown in the drawings. Of course, one could cheat a bit and move the truck forward some.
    • dr strangelove
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
        I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?
      • Nathan Leon
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
          A GE 70 Tonner would be my primary Engine (Actually 3 would pull 18 box cars at a time) for my model of the M&ET.   It's a business park in Modesto, CA and I worked in the supply chain of a major Winery that utilized its services.  That is my primary motivation.  But almost every main line is serviced by a switcher somewhere and I would think it would be highly desirable since at this time there seems to be zero affordable switchers in Z scale.
        • Kevin Brady
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
            Hi Doktor,all,
            It's trying to move forward, :-) Which US Z has done.
            It also depends on the RR. US and German roads have used prime motor power
            for switching/shunting and used these same locos still roamed the branch
            lines and main lines.

            Dr Dirt

            On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM, dr strangelove <kaiserwillieii0815@...

            --
            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
              For me it's really a matter of the road and era and how much you want to model a prototype. I model the WP in the early diesel era. They ran F units on the road and SW units in the yards, later replacing units with road switchers (gp7 & gp9) over time. Also if you are modelling a small yard, an SW1000 series fits better than than the larger sd7.

              Mark

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dr strangelove" wrote:

              > I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?

            • BAZ
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                Many factories, short lines, shops, etc. used the smaller locos, especially early on but you see them now too as modern hybrids, etc.

                I do switching on my side yard and would do more with a smaller loco. It just looks right ;)

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                Sent 'from the road'

                On Feb 4, 2013, at 12:39 PM, "dr strangelove" <kaiserwillieii0815@...> wrote:

                > I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?

              • Thomas Creighton Sr
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                  I live 100 yards from the IHB mainline that services the south suburbs of
                  chicago. I normally see 10/15 sw1500's during the day most with a work caboose.I
                  also see some conrail with a gp7 or bigger using that mainline. I have lived
                  here over 50 years so I have seen progress but yet the IHB still continues to
                  use and buy rebuilt SW1500's. so why not I have already ordered one for my new
                  12" layout instead of osing my f7
                • ddechamp71
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                    Myself I'm doing my switching with a good old GP9 - still wearing its NH paintscheme as I've still not decided how I will repaint it. If one day I can find a SW1500 or a MP15 I will take one but I'm not in a hurry for that. As so many industries and shortlines indeed perform their switching operations with 1st generation road diesels I'm very happy with my Geep.
                    Dom

                    Ce message a �t� envoy� depuis un terminal BlackBerry de Bouygues Telecom

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                      Times changed. When i started as engineer we used old british 3 axles shunters for switching and branch line transport, while using French and US license Loco´s on our mainlines. Later, the old stuff went to the shredder or was sold to foreign companies, or, after cleansing of Asbestos, sold to new freight operators and railmaintenance llc´s.
                      Our Cargocorp was sold to Deutsche Bahn and is nowadays known as DB Schenker. Schenker uses mainly BR189 and NS1800 ( BB7200 ), aswell as MaK 6400 ( DE 1002 ).
                      Almost both 6400 series are bunkered at Amersfoort Freight Station and Amersfoort Army Yard.

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_600
                      http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_2200
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_1600_Class

                      also see here:

                      http://www.nicospilt.com/index3.html

                      There is a variety of Maerklin switchers:
                      BR V60
                      BR V100
                      BR 89
                      BR 94