Re: [Z_Scale] Re: When will the time come for Switchers?

  • Joe C
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
      Either Pennsylvania or New Haven would work for me.
      Joe
    • publickarl
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
        > ... it will be some time before we add additional wheelbase models of the PowerMAX...

        Will you be using the current 7'11" Z PowerMAX on the Model 40, or will there be a new 13' wheelbase version just for this critter?

        A 9'2" wheelbase would be close enough for modeling various Alco, EMD, and FM road units.

        Karl
      • publickarl
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
          > I want a GE 70 tonner in Z scale.

          That might be a tight fit. The truck of the 70T extends a bit beyond the back of the cab; the PowerMAX truck might not fit under the frame there--certainly not with the pivot mounting shown in the drawings. Of course, one could cheat a bit and move the truck forward some.
        • Nathan Leon
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
            90% of a model is still better than 0.

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
              I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?
            • Nathan Leon
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                A GE 70 Tonner would be my primary Engine (Actually 3 would pull 18 box cars at a time) for my model of the M&ET.   It's a business park in Modesto, CA and I worked in the supply chain of a major Winery that utilized its services.  That is my primary motivation.  But almost every main line is serviced by a switcher somewhere and I would think it would be highly desirable since at this time there seems to be zero affordable switchers in Z scale.
              • Kevin Brady
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                  Hi Doktor,all,
                  It's trying to move forward, :-) Which US Z has done.
                  It also depends on the RR. US and German roads have used prime motor power
                  for switching/shunting and used these same locos still roamed the branch
                  lines and main lines.

                  Dr Dirt

                  On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM, dr strangelove <kaiserwillieii0815@...

                  --
                  Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

                • mark2playz
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                    For me it's really a matter of the road and era and how much you want to model a prototype. I model the WP in the early diesel era. They ran F units on the road and SW units in the yards, later replacing units with road switchers (gp7 & gp9) over time. Also if you are modelling a small yard, an SW1000 series fits better than than the larger sd7.

                    Mark

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dr strangelove" wrote:

                    > I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?

                  • BAZ
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                      Many factories, short lines, shops, etc. used the smaller locos, especially early on but you see them now too as modern hybrids, etc.

                      I do switching on my side yard and would do more with a smaller loco. It just looks right ;)

                      Jeff
                      SF Bay Area Z

                      Sent 'from the road'

                      On Feb 4, 2013, at 12:39 PM, "dr strangelove" <kaiserwillieii0815@...> wrote:

                      > I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?

                    • Thomas Creighton Sr
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                        I live 100 yards from the IHB mainline that services the south suburbs of
                        chicago. I normally see 10/15 sw1500's during the day most with a work caboose.I
                        also see some conrail with a gp7 or bigger using that mainline. I have lived
                        here over 50 years so I have seen progress but yet the IHB still continues to
                        use and buy rebuilt SW1500's. so why not I have already ordered one for my new
                        12" layout instead of osing my f7
                      • ddechamp71
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                          Myself I'm doing my switching with a good old GP9 - still wearing its NH paintscheme as I've still not decided how I will repaint it. If one day I can find a SW1500 or a MP15 I will take one but I'm not in a hurry for that. As so many industries and shortlines indeed perform their switching operations with 1st generation road diesels I'm very happy with my Geep.
                          Dom

                          Ce message a �t� envoy� depuis un terminal BlackBerry de Bouygues Telecom

                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                            Times changed. When i started as engineer we used old british 3 axles shunters for switching and branch line transport, while using French and US license Loco´s on our mainlines. Later, the old stuff went to the shredder or was sold to foreign companies, or, after cleansing of Asbestos, sold to new freight operators and railmaintenance llc´s.
                            Our Cargocorp was sold to Deutsche Bahn and is nowadays known as DB Schenker. Schenker uses mainly BR189 and NS1800 ( BB7200 ), aswell as MaK 6400 ( DE 1002 ).
                            Almost both 6400 series are bunkered at Amersfoort Freight Station and Amersfoort Army Yard.

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_600
                            http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_2200
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_1600_Class

                            also see here:

                            http://www.nicospilt.com/index3.html

                            There is a variety of Maerklin switchers:
                            BR V60
                            BR V100
                            BR 89
                            BR 94