Re: Today In History

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 768 , Jan 29, 2013
      Well, technically speaking he patented the version of the knuckle coupler that was accepted by the U.S. and the railroads. And you're right nobody died unless you count the animal whose skin provided the vellum for the patent.

      Mark

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thompson" wrote:

      > I got a train trivia calendar for 2013. The Sat/Sun listing (without
      > specifying the exact date) reads:
      >

      > In 1873, Eli H. Janney patented the automatic "knuckle coupler" (U.S. Patent
      > 138,405).
      >

      > Near as I can figure, no one died.
      >

      > Jeff
      >
      > ZoCal

    • FT. Dewey
      Message 768 of 768 , Jan 31

        1855 Western railroads blocked by snow
        1874 Jesse James gang robs train at Gads Hill MO
        1932 US railway unions accept 10% wage reduction

        _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`