Re: Seeking assistance with Marklin #8800 loco

  • Jeff Faust
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
      A reference to my original post, Kev. I couldn't get the shell off. I discovered that the cylinder block is a separate cast-plastic part. Once I separated it a little from the frame, the shell slipped easily off the tab.

      Issues resolved!!! Thanks to everyone in the group who helped my through my first Z scale crisis. (Let's hope it's the last.)

      With the engine reassembled, I was able to test the Arduino-based throttle I'm building for the layout. Further details when I make a little more progress.

      --Jeff

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady wrote:

      > Hi Jeff,all,
      > What about the shell?
      >
      > Kev
      >
      > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Jeff Faust wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Of course--the Big Magnet on a Stick from my mechanic's toolbox! Why
      > > didn't I think of that before? Seven seconds of sweeping with that monster
      > > recovered the screw.
      > >
      > > Now, about that shell...suggestions, anyone?
      > >
      > > --Jeff
      > >
      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Mother always said; "work smart.......not hard"
      > > >
      > > > Take a piece of steel, ruler etc., flat bar..............throw some
      > > magnets onto it................now hover over the area that you think the
      > > lost screw is, you should pick it up quickly.
      > > >
      > > > If you need it brought back to life and a new screw, contact me.
      > >
      > > > Don
      > >

      > --
      > Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2013
        Jeff,
        You might want to check out: http://www.z-world.com/instructions/
        for the instructions that go with the 8800.
        Also I'll be interested in reading about your Arduino-base throttle. I did one years ago using the Parallax Basic Stamp, similar to their online app note. Haven't done much with the Arduino yet, but I see some interesting opportunities with the on-chip analog.

        Mark

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2013
          Hi Mark,all,
          Thanks for the link!

          Best,Kev

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 29, 2013
            Thanks for that link, Mark. Definitely bookmarking that one.

            Arduinos are great. I've already used them for N scale semaphores. For the throttle, I'm using an L293D driver chip to handle track current, and so far, so good. The Arduino makes it easy to add some features that otherwise would be difficult to do, like one-knob speed/direction control, and a motion sensor to shut the layout off in an unattended room. Stay tuned.

            --Jeff