Re: [Z_Scale] Today In History

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 768 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi Don,

      4 to 6 B. At the time that was the amount projected for the East Bay
      to San Francisco service. But as time went by, other cities (South Bay)
      wanted in on the action... soo... that costs money! Right of way, etc.

      Reynard

      On Jan 27, 2013, at 5:37 PM, Don Avila wrote:

      > Reynard
      >
      > What was the original bid vs the 8 billion expense?
      >
      > ...don
      >
      > On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Reynard Wellman micron@...>wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Ft. Dewey,
      > >
      > > I worked for the sub-contractors to Westinghouse who
      > > installed the entire electrical system for BART. Walked
      > > through, measured and surveyed most of the stations,
      > > tunnels and aerial facilities. BART track is not standard
      > > gauge, it is a wider gauge (as I recall, 5' 2") for high speed
      > > curves and comfort. The system passes through two major
      > > faults; the San Andreas Fault and the Hayward Fault.
      > > Clever flexible joints in the tunnels and track design allow
      > > for an up to 6' displacement of the earth along each fault
      > > line without too much damage for getting the system up
      > > and running again.
      > >
      > > Most of the SF major stations are deep underground. The
      > > Montgomery Station is three stories below Market Street.
      > > (And people wondered why it took 8 billion dollars
      > > to complete the system !! ;>)
      > >
      > > Cheers!
      > > Reynard
      > >
      > EDITED FOR LENGTH
      > > >
      > > > 1971 Montgomery St Station, last link in BART, `holed thru'
      > > >
      > > > Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
      > > > o o o o o o o . . . ______________________________
      > > > o _____ || |
      > > > .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
      > > > _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

      > --
      > *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

    • FT. Dewey
      Message 768 of 768 , Jan 31

        1855 Western railroads blocked by snow
        1874 Jesse James gang robs train at Gads Hill MO
        1932 US railway unions accept 10% wage reduction

        _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`