Signals and placement and 1 more Q.

  • proverbs30789
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
      Hey all!

      It has been quite a while since I posted anything. I was wondering if anyone knows of a publication that would show what types of signals would be used trackside and where they would be placed. I would love to add some Z scale signals to my layout but I am completely lost. If it helps, I am modeling GN, NP, SP&S and BN.

      Second question:

      I recently saw some American steam shells for sale on E-Bay that use Marklin guts. I know that republiclocomotiveworks.com use to carry some. Anyone have any idea where a 0-6-0, 0-8-0 or any other Z scale steam shells could be found?

      Thanks!

      Eric
    • Don Fedjur
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
        Eric,

        Look up Micron-Art for their signals, great steam era stuff as well. http://www.micronart.com/ZSCALE_Accessories.html

        On your Steam Engine "Shells" that you viewed were from a defunct company called; InService Miniatures. Good product if you can find them second hand. Otherwise look at Aspen Model (they were in Colorado, but moved back to Germany) Also Westmodel.
        http://aspenmodel.de//index.php/cat/c60_Steam-Locomotives-Gauge-Z.html/XTCsid/ks17om8rcn12qlloq1c31h2jc0

        Happy hunting and careful soldering those LED's for your signals.

        Don

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
          Eric,
          Check out the D9g series of datasheets from the NMRA, they cover signal types and usage.
          Also check the rslaser site for the steam shells. They're the U.S. rep for Aspen.

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "proverbs30789" wrote:

          > Hey all!
          >
          > It has been quite a while since I posted anything. I was wondering if anyone knows of a publication that would show what types of signals would be used trackside and where they would be placed. I would love to add some Z scale signals to my layout but I am completely lost. If it helps, I am modeling GN, NP, SP&S and BN.
          >
          > Second question:
          >
          > I recently saw some American steam shells for sale on E-Bay that use Marklin guts. I know that republiclocomotiveworks.com use to carry some. Anyone have any idea where a 0-6-0, 0-8-0 or any other Z scale steam shells could be found?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Eric

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
            Hello Eric,
            We make two types of (non-electrical) RR track signal kits:
            http://www.micronart.com/1024_triple_searchlight.html
            http://www.micronart.com/1022_double_searchlight.html
            These use Swarovski� colored crystals to simulate lighted signals.

            Here is an article on railroad signals that may be of interest to you:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_railroad_signals

            Feel free to ask any questions. Thank you.

            Reynard Wellman
            http://www.micronart.com

            On Jan 24, 2013, at 4:09 PM, proverbs30789 wrote:

            > Hey all!
            >
            > It has been quite a while since I posted anything. I was wondering if anyone knows of a publication that would show what types of signals would be used trackside and where they would be placed. I would love to add some Z scale signals to my layout but I am completely lost. If it helps, I am modeling GN, NP, SP&S and BN.
            >
            > Second question:
            >
            > I recently saw some American steam shells for sale on E-Bay that use Marklin guts. I know that republiclocomotiveworks.com use to carry some. Anyone have any idea where a 0-6-0, 0-8-0 or any other Z scale steam shells could be found?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Eric

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
              Hi Reynard,

              What's the news regarding the detailing kits for the AZL GP 38s? Almost
              ready?

              Loren

              We make two types of (non-electrical) RR track signal kits:
              http://www.micronart.com/1024_triple_searchlight.html
              http://www.micronart.com/1022_double_searchlight.html
              These use Swarovski™ colored crystals to simulate lighted signals.

              Here is an article on railroad signals that may be of interest to you:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_railroad_signals

              Feel free to ask any questions. Thank you.

              Reynard Wellman
              http://www.micronart.com

              On Jan 24, 2013, at 4:09 PM, proverbs30789 wrote:

              > Hey all!
              >
              > It has been quite a while since I posted anything. I was wondering if
              anyone knows of a publication that would show what types of signals would be
              used trackside and where they would be placed. I would love to add some Z
              scale signals to my layout but I am completely lost. If it helps, I am
              modeling GN, NP, SP&S and BN.

              > Second question:
              >
              > I recently saw some American steam shells for sale on E-Bay that use
              Marklin guts. I know that republiclocomotiveworks.com use to carry some.
              Anyone have any idea where a 0-6-0, 0-8-0 or any other Z scale steam shells
              could be found?

              > Thanks!
              >
              > Eric

            • Edward Scullin
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                I'll second the motion.Ed Scullin

                From: Reynard Wellman

                Date: 1/25/2013 6:23:21 AM

                To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

                Hello Eric,

                We make two types of (non-electrical) RR track signal kits:

                http://www.micronart.com/1024_triple_searchlight.html

                http://www.micronart.com/1022_double_searchlight.html

                These use Swarovski™ colored crystals to simulate lighted signals.

                Here is an article on railroad signals that may be of interest to you:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_railroad_signals

                Feel free to ask any questions. Thank you.

                Reynard Wellman

                http://www.micronart.com

                On Jan 24, 2013, at 4:09 PM, proverbs30789 wrote:

                > Hey all!

                > It has been quite a while since I posted anything. I was wondering if

                anyone knows of a publication that would show what types of signals would be

                used trackside and where they would be placed. I would love to add some Z

                scale signals to my layout but I am completely lost. If it helps, I am

                modeling GN, NP, SP&S and BN.

                > Second question:

                > I recently saw some American steam shells for sale on E-Bay that use

                Marklin guts. I know that republiclocomotiveworks.com use to carry some.

                Anyone have any idea where a 0-6-0, 0-8-0 or any other Z scale steam shells

                could be found?

                > Thanks!

                > Eric

                ------------------------------------

              • Reynard Wellman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Hi Loren, Ed, Everybody,

                  Great news. The final iteration of the GP38-2 Handrails & Super-details,
                  kit #1201, is being manufactured next Monday thru Friday and will ship to us by the
                  first week of Feb. 2013. From here I will then start shipping to all purchasers
                  and dealers. Also, the instructions are now complete and are ready for packaging.
                  MSRP is $23.88

                  Manufacturing stainless requires more time to cure & etch than brass
                  and we had to make important design adjustments until the parts met
                  my exact design parameters. Sorry it took a little longer than I anticipated.

                  There is also another big surprise waiting in the wings --- also made
                  of stainless steel. But that rabbit wont come out of the hat until he's darn
                  good and ready!

                  regardZ to all !

                  Reynard
                  http://www.micronart.com

                  On Jan 25, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Edward Scullin wrote:

                  > I'll second the motion.Ed Scullin

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                    Great news Reynard,

                    Just one more question. Can we order direct from you or do we need to go
                    through dealers? Any price difference?

                    Loren

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                      Hi Loren,
                      Sure, you can order direct. There is a link.
                      http://www.micronart.com/1038gp.html
                      But our dealers are the only one's allowed to discount.
                      I can not undercut my dealers -- ever!

                      regardZ,
                      Reynard
                      On Jan 25, 2013, at 7:39 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

                      > Great news Reynard,
                      >
                      > Just one more question. Can we order direct from you or do we need to go
                      > through dealers? Any price difference?
                      >
                      > Loren

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                        Understood, I just didn't know what the situation was. I'm happy to order
                        from Anthony, a great dealer by anyone's measure.

                        Looking forward to getting four sets as I have four undecs just begging to
                        be custom detailed and painted into two CORP for me and two ARR for Karin.

                        Best regards,