When will the time come for Switchers?

  • tpalex
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
      Hello all,

      I entered this hobby "only" in 2000 and chosen Z also for its
      characteristics of being a niche making everything more difficult and
      requiring inventive thinking.
      Unexpectedly so many things happened along last years in this scale as
      probably never before... but... why even now that the Big Boy is
      availabale the offer of US Diesel Switchers is almost zero (or _it is_
      zero?).
      After the SW1 by Zthek years ago (using a modified Marklin chassis if i
      remember correctly, and not so realiable in movement) small switchers
      have been neglected in favour of a long (yay!) series of GPs SDs and
      even F59 and RDC.
      Are switchers less interesting for you potential buyers? For me to
      model yards switching is the core of this hobby and, since in this scale
      new products come in lustrums I really hope to live enough to play with
      some new switchers on my never completed layout.

      Your thougths?

      Alex

    • Joop Grutter
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
        Micro-Trains announced SW switchers at last year's Zscaleconvention....
        From what I recall it was for end of this year or early next year.

        Greetz,

        Joop

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        From: tpalex@...
        Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:55:58 +0100
        Subject: [Z_Scale] When will the time come for Switchers?

[...]

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
          Hi Alex. I understand your concern, however many switching operations in yards or spurs are done with old worn Geeps or U-boats. And now that we have GP7, GP9 and GP38 available, I consider mysel as a lucky man as all these fit perfectly for switching on my own layout.

          OK, when a RTR SW1500 or MP15 is available, I will purchase a sample for my future layout, provided it shows the same smooth running caracteristics than my Geeps and SDs, but for the time beeing I would be more in a hurry for non-roadbeded, non powered, non point-hinged and electrofrog equipped turnouts, for example. Such as Peter Wright delivered, such as is available with Fast Tracks or such as is available from Atlas or Peco for N scale.

          But sorry, I'm out of subject....

          Dom

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
            Hello Alex,
            I received a beautifully etched SW-00 r.t.r
            from Laos Thek last year. I have to disagree with you.
            It runs beautifully right out of the box! And most
            satisfying of all, it runs very smoothly at slow speeds.

            All of the products that Laos and his wife make are of the
            highest quality. I just wish that more of his items (trees
            and roadbed) were more widely available as well.

            AZL is also doing great in providing smaller Z diesels
            that are as charming as anything you would find
            in the larger scales.

            The Micron Art GP38-2 Handrails & Superdetails kit (#1201)
            has now gone through our 3rd iteration of prototyping and
            design adjustments and will go to the final production run at
            the end of this month. With luck, they begin shipping in
            early February.

            Reynard
            http://www.micronart.com
            On Jan 20, 2013, at 4:55 AM, tpalex wrote:

            > After the SW1 by Zthek years ago (using a modified Marklin chassis if i
            > remember correctly, and not so realiable in movement) small switchers
            > have been neglected in favour of a long (yay!) series of GPs SDs and
            > even F59 and RDC.
            > Are switchers less interesting for you potential buyers? For me to
            > model yards switching is the core of this hobby and, since in this scale
            > new products come in lustrums I really hope to live enough to play with
            > some new switchers on my never completed layout.
            >
            > Your thougths?
            >
            > Alex

          • tpalex
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
              Hello Reynard,

              far from me to criticise Lajos' work or any other producer, what he
              produces is amazing,
              courageous and innovative, I would buy more SW-01 if available, with a
              Lajos made chassis possibly if R4-11-8 runs as you say :-)

              Alex

              On 20/01/2013 14:48, Reynard Wellman wrote:
              > Hello Alex,
              > I received a beautifully etched SW-00 r.t.r
              > from Laos Thek last year. I have to disagree with you.
              > It runs beautifully right out of the box! And most
              > satisfying of all, it runs very smoothly at slow speeds.
              >
              > All of the products that Laos and his wife make are of the
              > highest quality. I just wish that more of his items (trees
              > and roadbed) were more widely available as well.
              >
              > AZL is also doing great in providing smaller Z diesels
              > that are as charming as anything you would find
              > in the larger scales.
              >
              > The Micron Art GP38-2 Handrails & Superdetails kit (#1201)
              > has now gone through our 3rd iteration of prototyping and
              > design adjustments and will go to the final production run at
              > the end of this month. With luck, they begin shipping in
              > early February.
              >
              > Reynard
              > http://www.micronart.com
              > On Jan 20, 2013, at 4:55 AM, tpalex wrote:
              >

              >> After the SW1 by Zthek years ago (using a modified Marklin chassis if i
              >> remember correctly, and not so realiable in movement) small switchers
              >> have been neglected in favour of a long (yay!) series of GPs SDs and
              >> even F59 and RDC.
              >> Are switchers less interesting for you potential buyers? For me to
              >> model yards switching is the core of this hobby and, since in this scale
              >> new products come in lustrums I really hope to live enough to play with
              >> some new switchers on my never completed layout.
              >>
              >> Your thougths?
              >>
              >> Alex

              We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public

            • tpalex
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
                Hello Dom,

                I am more than happy with the new Rokuhan productions :)
                I love power routing on turnouts !! Great to see so different priorities

                Alex

                On 20/01/2013 13:40, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

                > Hi Alex. I understand your concern, however many switching operations
                > in yards or spurs are done with old worn Geeps or U-boats. And now
                > that we have GP7, GP9 and GP38 available, I consider mysel as a lucky
                > man as all these fit perfectly for switching on my own layout.
                >
                > OK, when a RTR SW1500 or MP15 is available, I will purchase a sample
                > for my future layout, provided it shows the same smooth running
                > caracteristics than my Geeps and SDs, but for the time beeing I would
                > be more in a hurry for non-roadbeded, non powered, non point-hinged
                > and electrofrog equipped turnouts, for example. Such as Peter Wright
                > delivered, such as is available with Fast Tracks or such as is
                > available from Atlas or Peco for N scale.
                >
                > But sorry, I'm out of subject....
                >
                > Dom

              • tpalex
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
                  Great Joop ! Thanks for the news. I start to cross fingers that my
                  favourite railroads will be part of the first productions :)

                  Alex

                  On 20/01/2013 12:25, Joop Grutter wrote:
                  > Micro-Trains announced SW switchers at last year's Zscaleconvention....
                  > >From what I recall it was for end of this year or early next year.
                  >
                  > Greetz,
                  >
                  > Joop

                • Reynard Wellman
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
                    Hi Alex,
                    I understand and thank you. We all go through
                    some minor glitches when working in our diminutive scale,
                    (Z, a scale which has been growing by leaps and bounds!)

                    The Z group of folks have become, through patience,
                    very lucky in having at least 95% of the products
                    produced able to fulfill a very satisfying model railroading
                    experience.

                    Marklin got us off to a very good start!

                    Reynard

                    On Jan 20, 2013, at 9:23 AM, tpalex wrote:

                    > >EDITED FOR LENGTH
                    > >
                    > >.

                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
                      Too good, Alex! Happy quest of Z scale equipment to you as well!
                      Dom

                      I am more than happy with the new Rokuhan productions :)
                      I love power routing on turnouts !! Great to see so different priorities

                      Alex

                    • mompey
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
                        Hi Alex

                        I would be very interested in the MTL switches, I can see MTL doing the sw type as they could release it just about every road name and starter sets as did Marklin, then get value for the tooling investment, I hope that they dont rush the release as they may have done with the SD40-2's (wider bodies than prototype) wasnt marklins best seller the 0-6-0 switcher? I have one and it still breaks the sound barrier, my other concirn would be due to the size if it would be heavy enough?, hence the layos ones in brass, will it be able to switch slowly & smoothly and still pull 6+ cars, that would be my interest.

                        Mike.
                      • publickarl
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
                          > ... the offer of US Diesel Switchers is almost zero (or _it is_ zero?).

                          I came across this recently:

                          http://Searails.com/newproducts/emdzscaleswitcher.html

                          It's to use a pair of Thek style power trucks under a cast brass SW-1500 body.

                          This is an exciting prospect. If such a chassis works out at the price planned, they might be able to supply a variety of smooth running diesels at a cost between cast plastic models and the current brass models (such as the AZL E units).
                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 21, 2013
                            Interresting, but I need to know how they will set 2 of their power trucks in such a tiny shell.....
                            Dom

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 21, 2013
                              > ... how they will set 2 of their power trucks in such a tiny shell

                              Their power truck measures about 10 scale ft tall and 6 ft wide, so it should be possible. With a body of cast brass, it would still have some heft to it.

                              Their site clearly states this project is in development. I for one will be watching their progress. I have no Z equipment, yet I'm tempted to jump in on this. It's a spiffy idea, and I do hope it works for them.

                              Karl
                            • Harbormaster
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
                                Hi,

                                Please look at our website again, we are now taking reservations (not orders/reservations).

                                Jim

                                > ... the offer of US Diesel Switchers is almost zero (or _it is_ zero?).

                                I came across this recently:

                                http://Searails.com/newproducts/emdzscaleswitcher.html

                                It's to use a pair of Thek style power trucks under a cast brass SW-1500 body.

                                This is an exciting prospect. If such a chassis works out at the price planned, they might be able to supply a variety of smooth running diesels at a cost between cast plastic models and the current brass models (such as the AZL E units).
                              • Joe C
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
                                  Either Pennsylvania or New Haven would work for me.
                                  Joe
                                • publickarl
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
                                    > Please look at our website again...

                                    Tempting is that SW-1500, but I haven't yet decided on Z vs N.

                                    The Model 40 switcher is equally tempting. The wheelbase for that is much longer than used in the SW-1500. How many different wheel bases are you thinking of offering in the PowerMAX?
                                  • Harbormaster
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                      Since both axles are driven, it will be some time before we add additional wheelbase models of the PowerMAX!. Certainly we will add a 9mm model within a short time, and that addition will also require a new wheelbase.

                                      Tempting is that SW-1500, but I haven't yet decided on Z vs N.

                                      The Model 40 switcher is equally tempting. The wheelbase for that is much longer than used in the SW-1500. How many different wheel bases are you thinking of offering in the PowerMAX?
                                    • Nathan Leon
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                        Looks great.  I want a GE 70 tonner in Z scale.   I'll take 3.
                                      • publickarl
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                          > ... it will be some time before we add additional wheelbase models of the PowerMAX...

                                          Will you be using the current 7'11" Z PowerMAX on the Model 40, or will there be a new 13' wheelbase version just for this critter?

                                          A 9'2" wheelbase would be close enough for modeling various Alco, EMD, and FM road units.

                                          Karl
                                        • publickarl
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                            > I want a GE 70 tonner in Z scale.

                                            That might be a tight fit. The truck of the 70T extends a bit beyond the back of the cab; the PowerMAX truck might not fit under the frame there--certainly not with the pivot mounting shown in the drawings. Of course, one could cheat a bit and move the truck forward some.
                                          • Nathan Leon
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                              90% of a model is still better than 0.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                                I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?
                                              • Nathan Leon
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                                  A GE 70 Tonner would be my primary Engine (Actually 3 would pull 18 box cars at a time) for my model of the M&ET.   It's a business park in Modesto, CA and I worked in the supply chain of a major Winery that utilized its services.  That is my primary motivation.  But almost every main line is serviced by a switcher somewhere and I would think it would be highly desirable since at this time there seems to be zero affordable switchers in Z scale.
                                                • Kevin Brady
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                                    Hi Doktor,all,
                                                    It's trying to move forward, :-) Which US Z has done.
                                                    It also depends on the RR. US and German roads have used prime motor power
                                                    for switching/shunting and used these same locos still roamed the branch
                                                    lines and main lines.

                                                    Dr Dirt

                                                    On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM, dr strangelove <kaiserwillieii0815@...

                                                    --
                                                    Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

                                                  • mark2playz
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                                      For me it's really a matter of the road and era and how much you want to model a prototype. I model the WP in the early diesel era. They ran F units on the road and SW units in the yards, later replacing units with road switchers (gp7 & gp9) over time. Also if you are modelling a small yard, an SW1000 series fits better than than the larger sd7.

                                                      Mark

                                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dr strangelove" wrote:

                                                      > I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?

                                                    • BAZ
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                                        Many factories, short lines, shops, etc. used the smaller locos, especially early on but you see them now too as modern hybrids, etc.

                                                        I do switching on my side yard and would do more with a smaller loco. It just looks right ;)

                                                        Jeff
                                                        SF Bay Area Z

                                                        Sent 'from the road'

                                                        On Feb 4, 2013, at 12:39 PM, "dr strangelove" <kaiserwillieii0815@...> wrote:

                                                        > I know all you guys want switch engines, but could anyone tell me why? Is it because they are small and cool looking? ( I do like them because they are small and cool looking) Is it becasue you have big train yards? Myself, I am working on a particular RR at a particular time, and though they did switching, it was always with a road engine. GP7, SD7, ect. I am always interested in new things in Z and any new engine type is welcome, but I am just wondering if there are folks out there that think they can only do switching operations with a switch engine?

                                                      • Thomas Creighton Sr
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                                          I live 100 yards from the IHB mainline that services the south suburbs of
                                                          chicago. I normally see 10/15 sw1500's during the day most with a work caboose.I
                                                          also see some conrail with a gp7 or bigger using that mainline. I have lived
                                                          here over 50 years so I have seen progress but yet the IHB still continues to
                                                          use and buy rebuilt SW1500's. so why not I have already ordered one for my new
                                                          12" layout instead of osing my f7
                                                        • ddechamp71
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                                                            Myself I'm doing my switching with a good old GP9 - still wearing its NH paintscheme as I've still not decided how I will repaint it. If one day I can find a SW1500 or a MP15 I will take one but I'm not in a hurry for that. As so many industries and shortlines indeed perform their switching operations with 1st generation road diesels I'm very happy with my Geep.
                                                            Dom

                                                            Ce message a �t� envoy� depuis un terminal BlackBerry de Bouygues Telecom

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                                                              Times changed. When i started as engineer we used old british 3 axles shunters for switching and branch line transport, while using French and US license Loco´s on our mainlines. Later, the old stuff went to the shredder or was sold to foreign companies, or, after cleansing of Asbestos, sold to new freight operators and railmaintenance llc´s.
                                                              Our Cargocorp was sold to Deutsche Bahn and is nowadays known as DB Schenker. Schenker uses mainly BR189 and NS1800 ( BB7200 ), aswell as MaK 6400 ( DE 1002 ).
                                                              Almost both 6400 series are bunkered at Amersfoort Freight Station and Amersfoort Army Yard.

                                                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_600
                                                              http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_2200
                                                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_1600_Class

                                                              also see here:

                                                              http://www.nicospilt.com/index3.html

                                                              There is a variety of Maerklin switchers:
                                                              BR V60
                                                              BR V100
                                                              BR 89
                                                              BR 94