Re : [Z_Scale] hello from a newbie

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
      >2. track feeders: what's the recommendation for how far apart to space >feeders? I was planning to solder them to the rail joiners every 2 ft or >so.

      More than a distance, one should consider a number of track sections. Most modellers indeed recommand to solder feeders every two track sections. Myself (using MTL flextrack) I soldered feeders to EVERY track section. Furtermore I soldered every track sections between each other, of course except at the locations where a gap is necessary (spurs, and line sections where a train has to hold when I'm completing switching elsewhere - I'm DC). May be some will consider it's too much, however I'm very happy with the reliability of what I've done, and 5 years after the completion of track laying I've not the least short or bad contact problem.

      Dom
    • John D. Duino
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
        You can't have too much, other than creating more work for yourself. Similar to Dom, I solder my rails together, but I only put feeders roughly every two MTL flex tracks. I don't solder to the joiners as I find it difficult to make the track, drill the holes accurately, and lay the track...I'm just not that good. I lay the track then solder the wire to the outside of the rail. With a good flux, tinned ends, and a little practice, they practically disappear. I use 22-24ga for my feeders, 18ga for buss. Nothing magic, just what I have and it seems to work.

        John

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
          John,

          I do about the same, but I don't worry about every two sections. I've never
          noticed a power drop even with over 12 feet of track off one feeder.

          We both must be doing something right. Maybe holding our lips right?
          Anyway, it works fine.
          Loren