Re: [Z_Scale] hello from a newbie

  • Lee Barry
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
      welcome to the group and to Z scale. You will find we are a pretty helpful group and those that have been in the scale a long time will gladly help you with your questions, although there will be pro and con answers sometimes. Lee Barry Z_SCALE2@...
    • Lee Barry
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
        forgot to ask. what is the size of your layout?

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
          We are NOT!!!!

          Do not listen to Lee, Marty.

          Reason?

          We are too busy playing with our trains...

          Heh-heh-heh -- LOL !!!

          Seriosuly, welcome to the clan, Marty

          :-)

          - Mark H.

          On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

          > welcome to the group and to Z scale. You will find we are a pretty helpful
          > group and those that have been in the scale a long time will gladly help you
          > with your questions, although there will be pro and con answers sometimes.
          > Lee Barry Z_SCALE2@...

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
            Playing? We don't play around with our trains........this is very serious
            business. But somehow we manage to smile through it all.

            Yes, welcome to the insane world of Z scale. Best dang scale in the whole
            world.......even if we are off track most of the time.

            Loren

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
              Marty,

              Welcome!!

              I use cork. I like it better than other materials. It gives a good firm base. I use LiquidNails to hold the cork down. It helps dampen the sound a bit.

              I recommend every 3 feet.

              I use the Marklin reverse loop track sections. It works well. Rokuhan also has a reverse loop controller and system. But it is tied in with their track system. If you are using Marklin track, I would just go with the Marklin reverse loop system.

              I love my catenary, but it can be a pain! Marklin offers the only functioning catenary. If you add it, make it functioning. It is worth the extra effort. I blacken my catenary wires. This helps to hide them.

              Rob Kluz

              On Dec 6, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Lee Barry wrote:

              > forgot to ask. what is the size of your layout?

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              Distributor American Z Line
              Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
              and Tenshodo dealer
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              www.ztrackresale.com
              www.zscaletrack.com
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703

            • Lee Barry
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                Marty did you not get my humor? Lee Barry

                We are too busy playing with our trains...

                Heh-heh-heh -- LOL !!!

                Seriosuly, welcome to the clan, Marty

                :-)

                - Mark H.

                On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                > welcome to the group and to Z scale. You will find we are a pretty helpful
                > group and those that have been in the scale a long time will gladly help you
                > with your questions, although there will be pro and con answers sometimes.
                > Lee Barry Z_SCALE2@...

              • holdthefort57
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                  The size is 44 X 74 inches; the plan was published in a German-text book
                  on mini-club. The track arrangement is basically a pair of parallel over and under figure 8 loops, with a loop-to-loop branch line attached to the outer Figure 8, plus some spurs.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                    Thanks Rob,

                    If I put up some catenary, I was going to paint it a gray-green patina to help hide the oversize wire size. I've been a little leery of chemical blackening, since I've read about issues with that causing rusting. Have you had any issues with your blackened wire? And yes, it was going to be functional (I'll be running DC and not DCC).

                    By the way, our club HO modular layout has live catenary and everyone is always amazed that it works (we are too, considering how many times it's been set up and taken down for shows!)

                    Marty

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                    > Marty,
                    >
                    > Welcome!!
                    >

                    > I use the Marklin reverse loop track sections. It works well. Rokuhan also has a reverse loop controller and system. But it is tied in with their track system. If you are using Marklin track, I would just go with the Marklin reverse loop system.
                    >
                    > I love my catenary, but it can be a pain! Marklin offers the only functioning catenary. If you add it, make it functioning. It is worth the extra effort. I blacken my catenary wires. This helps to hide them.
                    >
                    > Rob Kluz

                  • Robert Kluz
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                      Marty,

                      I recommend the chemical blackening. By using the chemical blackening liquid, it maintains it's ability to conduct electricity. Paint would interfere with the conductivity. I have done quite a few sections of wire with the chemical solutions and only had a few small spots 'rust'. But it is all functional and works just fine.

                      Rob

                      On Dec 8, 2012, at 11:49 PM, holdthefort57 wrote:

                      > Thanks Rob,
                      >
                      > If I put up some catenary, I was going to paint it a gray-green patina to help hide the oversize wire size. I've been a little leery of chemical blackening, since I've read about issues with that causing rusting. Have you had any issues with your blackened wire? And yes, it was going to be functional (I'll be running DC and not DCC).
                      >
                      > By the way, our club HO modular layout has live catenary and everyone is always amazed that it works (we are too, considering how many times it's been set up and taken down for shows!)
                      >
                      > Marty
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Marty,
                      >>
                      >> Welcome!!
                      >>

                      >> I use the Marklin reverse loop track sections. It works well. Rokuhan also has a reverse loop controller and system. But it is tied in with their track system. If you are using Marklin track, I would just go with the Marklin reverse loop system.
                      >>
                      >> I love my catenary, but it can be a pain! Marklin offers the only functioning catenary. If you add it, make it functioning. It is worth the extra effort. I blacken my catenary wires. This helps to hide them.
                      >>
                      >> Rob Kluz

                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      Distributor American Z Line
                      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                      and Tenshodo dealer
                      www.ztrack.com
                      www.ztrackcenter.com
                      www.ztrackresale.com
                      www.zscaletrack.com
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd
                      Dublin OH 43016
                      (614) 764-1703

                    • Kevin Brady
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                        Hi all,
                        Are we speaking about BlackenIt?:
                        http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html

                        I have used this before on wheels,etc.,one should remember that after
                        dipping it in the solution you then dip it in water to stop the
                        process.Also,I pat it dry with paper towels and then use a hair dryer to
                        stop the water remaining from causing rust spots,even though prototype
                        catenary does rust ;-)
                        Painting: I do airbrush the wire(you can also use spray paint) I let the
                        paint 'tack' then wipe away any paint on the contact area with a Q-tip and
                        solvent.The ends/clips?,Using a round needle file and gently remove any
                        paint.Or one can use a fine grit sandpaper also,...

                        Best,Kev

                        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service