Re: [Z_Scale] hello from a newbie

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
      > 2. track feeders: what's the recommendation for how far apart to space feeders? I was planning to solder them to the rail joiners every 2 ft or so.

      More than sufficient - its thick clunky rail and very low current draw.

      > 3. reverse loops: any recommendations for auto-reversers?

      DC or DCC ?

      > 4. catenary: Is it more trouble than it's worth? Is Marklin the only supplier? I don't think Sommerfeldt or Viessman has Z catenary.

      The Märklin stuff works, but the wire vastly overscale in order to allow
      you to run locos on it. Some folks set the pantographs to just below wire
      height and either omit the wire or replace it with stretchy monofilament
      which is much easier for cleanign and the like.

      Rerailing under catenary is also a pain in the butt !

      Alan
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
        Hi Marty,all,

        >I've joined this group after acquiring a Marklin Z layout from my father,
        which is in the benchwork complete stage. I've had lots of Marklin HO
        experience, but none with Z. I'm in the Great Lakes ETE chapter with a HO
        module of my own. If you could indulge a few newbie questions regarding
        finishing the Z layout:<

        Did you call Carsten? :-)

        > >1. roadbed: cork roadbed is already mostly down, but I also have pieces
        > of a foam roadbed with ballast and molded depressions to fit the ties, not
        > sure of the brand as there is no packaging. Is this better than the cork?
        > Does the track just get inserted into this roadbed without adhesive? I was
        > going to use the cork and ballast it the usual way and skip the foam,
        > unless it's the best way to go (to avoid issues with loose ballast and
        > ballast cement maybe?) <

        Maybe form Busch or even Noch.
        And yes you can loose ballast Z with care,...

        > >2. track feeders: what's the recommendation for how far apart to space
        > feeders? I was planning to solder them to the rail joiners every 2 ft or
        > so.<

        You can solder to the rail.And you can isolate sections of track,what size
        is the layout?

        > >4. catenary: Is it more trouble than it's worth? Is Marklin the only
        > supplier? I don't think Sommerfeldt or Viessman has Z catenary.
        >
        > Depends,it gives you another circuit for E-loks.Not hard to set up.

        Email me off list if I can be of more help.

        Best,Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • Kevin Brady
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
          Hi Alan,all,

          > >The M�rklin stuff works, but the wire vastly overscale in order to allow
          > you to run locos on it.<

          Well to fair many things in Z are over scale,...

          > >Some folks set the pantographs to just below wire
          > height and either omit the wire or replace it with stretchy monofilament
          > which is much easier for cleanign and the like.<

          ,
          The HO guys do the same thing,egad! You buy E-loks break the bank on
          catenary and your pantos are NOT making contact!?

          > >Rerailing under catenary is also a pain in the butt !<

          Agreed bit a section of the layout should have NO catenary at all,....

          Best,Kev

          --
          Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

        • Lee Barry
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
            welcome to the group and to Z scale. You will find we are a pretty helpful group and those that have been in the scale a long time will gladly help you with your questions, although there will be pro and con answers sometimes. Lee Barry Z_SCALE2@...
          • Lee Barry
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
              forgot to ask. what is the size of your layout?

[...]

              Thanks,
              Marty
            • Mark H.
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
                We are NOT!!!!

                Do not listen to Lee, Marty.

                Reason?

                We are too busy playing with our trains...

                Heh-heh-heh -- LOL !!!

                Seriosuly, welcome to the clan, Marty

                :-)

                - Mark H.

                On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                > welcome to the group and to Z scale. You will find we are a pretty helpful
                > group and those that have been in the scale a long time will gladly help you
                > with your questions, although there will be pro and con answers sometimes.
                > Lee Barry Z_SCALE2@...

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
                  Playing? We don't play around with our trains........this is very serious
                  business. But somehow we manage to smile through it all.

                  Yes, welcome to the insane world of Z scale. Best dang scale in the whole
                  world.......even if we are off track most of the time.

                  Loren

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Marty,

                    Welcome!!

                    I use cork. I like it better than other materials. It gives a good firm base. I use LiquidNails to hold the cork down. It helps dampen the sound a bit.

                    I recommend every 3 feet.

                    I use the Marklin reverse loop track sections. It works well. Rokuhan also has a reverse loop controller and system. But it is tied in with their track system. If you are using Marklin track, I would just go with the Marklin reverse loop system.

                    I love my catenary, but it can be a pain! Marklin offers the only functioning catenary. If you add it, make it functioning. It is worth the extra effort. I blacken my catenary wires. This helps to hide them.

                    Rob Kluz

                    On Dec 6, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Lee Barry wrote:

                    > forgot to ask. what is the size of your layout?

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    Distributor American Z Line
                    Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                    and Tenshodo dealer
                    www.ztrack.com
                    www.ztrackcenter.com
                    www.ztrackresale.com
                    www.zscaletrack.com
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd
                    Dublin OH 43016
                    (614) 764-1703

                  • Lee Barry
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Marty did you not get my humor? Lee Barry

                      We are too busy playing with our trains...

                      Heh-heh-heh -- LOL !!!

                      Seriosuly, welcome to the clan, Marty

                      :-)

                      - Mark H.

                      On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                      > welcome to the group and to Z scale. You will find we are a pretty helpful
                      > group and those that have been in the scale a long time will gladly help you
                      > with your questions, although there will be pro and con answers sometimes.
                      > Lee Barry Z_SCALE2@...

                    • holdthefort57
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                        The size is 44 X 74 inches; the plan was published in a German-text book
                        on mini-club. The track arrangement is basically a pair of parallel over and under figure 8 loops, with a loop-to-loop branch line attached to the outer Figure 8, plus some spurs.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                          Thanks Rob,

                          If I put up some catenary, I was going to paint it a gray-green patina to help hide the oversize wire size. I've been a little leery of chemical blackening, since I've read about issues with that causing rusting. Have you had any issues with your blackened wire? And yes, it was going to be functional (I'll be running DC and not DCC).

                          By the way, our club HO modular layout has live catenary and everyone is always amazed that it works (we are too, considering how many times it's been set up and taken down for shows!)

                          Marty

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                          > Marty,
                          >
                          > Welcome!!
                          >

                          > I use the Marklin reverse loop track sections. It works well. Rokuhan also has a reverse loop controller and system. But it is tied in with their track system. If you are using Marklin track, I would just go with the Marklin reverse loop system.
                          >
                          > I love my catenary, but it can be a pain! Marklin offers the only functioning catenary. If you add it, make it functioning. It is worth the extra effort. I blacken my catenary wires. This helps to hide them.
                          >
                          > Rob Kluz

                        • Robert Kluz
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                            Marty,

                            I recommend the chemical blackening. By using the chemical blackening liquid, it maintains it's ability to conduct electricity. Paint would interfere with the conductivity. I have done quite a few sections of wire with the chemical solutions and only had a few small spots 'rust'. But it is all functional and works just fine.

                            Rob

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                              Hi all,
                              Are we speaking about BlackenIt?:
                              http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html

                              I have used this before on wheels,etc.,one should remember that after
                              dipping it in the solution you then dip it in water to stop the
                              process.Also,I pat it dry with paper towels and then use a hair dryer to
                              stop the water remaining from causing rust spots,even though prototype
                              catenary does rust ;-)
                              Painting: I do airbrush the wire(you can also use spray paint) I let the
                              paint 'tack' then wipe away any paint on the contact area with a Q-tip and
                              solvent.The ends/clips?,Using a round needle file and gently remove any
                              paint.Or one can use a fine grit sandpaper also,...

                              Best,Kev