Z scale model of "Burro" Schmidt's cabin in the CA desert

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
      I just posted a couple of pictures of a Z scale model of "Burro" Schmidt's cabin in the desert southeast of Ridgecrest, CA. He lived there for over 34 years, while he single-handedly tunneled over 2,000 feet through a mountain in search of the Mother Lode. I included pictures of the actual cabin for reference. My daughter put the model together for me for my birthday.
    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
        Going by an estimated taxable value of the shack, he never hit the Mother
        Lode. :o)

        The Z Scale cabin is surely nice though.

        ...don

        --
        *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
          I really like it too. When you compare it to the picture of the real thing,
          it appears that there is no way you could ever 'junk' it up too much. That
          is one trashy looking cabin and it just oozes of character.

          Good job on the model.

          Loren

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
            Looks good.  However, I'll bet "Burro" used both hands...

            On Dec 05, 2012, at 10:58 PM, Jeff <jthompson178@...> wrote:

            I just posted a couple of pictures of a Z scale model of "Burro" Schmidt's cabin in the desert southeast of Ridgecrest, CA. He lived there for over 34 years, while he single-handedly tunneled over 2,000 feet through a mountain in search of the Mother Lode. I included pictures of the actual cabin for reference. My daughter put the model together for me for my birthday.

          • Jeff Thompson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
              He certainly did not hit the Mother Lode. There are some theories that,
              after a couple of decades, tunneling through the mountain became his
              obsession, rather than the Mother Lode. He actually passed through veins of
              what might have been good ore, never changing the direction of the tunnel to
              follow them.

              Jeff

              ZoCal