Re: Marklin's Brown Crocodiles 8852, 88888, 81433, 81423

  • ZettZeit
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
      Robert,

      yes, the 8852 is too orange.

      But its important to know, that the manufacturer in the 1920s had no
      full standardized colours. And the depots, that made repaintings also not.
      And you know, weather, sun and dirt changed the colours and bleached
      them after short time in use.

      I think, hitting the correct colour of the brown crocodile espeially and
      the old SBB machines at all is a real challenge for each manufacturer. I
      have an H0 scale croc from ROCO, which has nearly the same colour than 8852.

      I put a picture into my album which shows different brown shades of
      swiss Z locos.

      My opinion: Marklins 8851 Ae 3/6 III hits it almost perfect.

      My Ae 3/6 III made by Harald Freudenreich has THE brown, how it should
      be. That's my opinion, but for that loco I'm shlightly biased ;-)

      Jens
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
        Hello Robert,
        Hello Jens,

        regarding to the correct color for the Swiss crocodiles this website
        might "help" (sorry it's only in German, but perhaps the Google
        translation won't kill it to much). The story told is from the RhB, but
        I believe that it wasn't that much different in other paces as well:

        http://www.voelklein-bodensee.de/kurios.htm (scroll down to the bottom).

        GreetingZ

        Uwe

        PS: The word "Nordlicht" (Northlight) is kind of a nick name for people
        from Northern Germany.
      • Bogdan Tudor
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
          Hi all,
          Some close pictures with Marklin 81433, I hope it helps...

          https://picasaweb.google.com/118125320621111805252/ZMarklin81433Be68SBBW?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCL-zhq6xnezIFw&feat=directlink

          Good to know about these color differences, I was thinking to buy also the 81423, now I will pass it...
          Regards,
          Bogdan

        • sbb_z
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
            Uwe, thanks for that!! So true . . .
            Thus I conclude that the Marklin technician responsible for the 8852
            drank a little too much of his paint-thinner, before he got to work.
            regardz
            Robert

            > http://www.voelklein-bodensee.de/kurios.htm (scroll down to the bottom).
            >
            > GreetingZ
            >
            > Uwe
            >
            > PS: The word "Nordlicht" (Northlight) is kind of a nick name for people
            > from Northern Germany.

          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
              Here is something that has yet to be mentioned. If you have eye cataracts
              removed you will see several magnitudes difference in color -- SO, What is
              the correct color?? What you see or someone else sees.

              Just remember, it is your layout. Go with it.

              ...don

              On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Bogdan Tudor <bogtudor@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi all,
              > Some close pictures with Marklin 81433, I hope it helps...
              >

              > https://picasaweb.google.com/118125320621111805252/ZMarklin81433Be68SBBW?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCL-zhq6xnezIFw&feat=directlink
              >
              > Good to know about these color differences, I was thinking to buy also the
              > 81423, now I will pass it...
              > Regards,
              > Bogdan

              *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
                On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:02:53 -0500
                Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                > Here is something that has yet to be mentioned. If you have eye cataracts
                > removed you will see several magnitudes difference in color -- SO, What is
                > the correct color?? What you see or someone else sees.

                Depends on the light shining on it too - you can get into a horrible mess
                colour matching under flourescent light and then seeing the match in
                sunlight!
              • sbb_z
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Hi Bogdan
                  Thanks for the pix; as I say, the color here on the 81433 appears more correct than on the 8852.