Marklin's Brown Crocodiles 8852, 88888, 81433, 81423

  • sbb_z
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2012
      Hi all
      Those who collect both Z and HO may share my long-standing dissatisfaction with the color of Marklin's BROWN swiss crocodile (8852). When you compare the Z 8852 or Z 81423 set to Marklin's HO versions (eg 3352), the Z-scale brown appears to be way too orange.

      There are other versions of the Z-scale brown crocodile than the 8852; the 88888 twin corocdile set ("150 yrs"), the 81433 Knie circus set, for example. I don't own either of the latter sets, but I have noticed that the brown crocs in these sets APPEAR in photos to be much closer to the HO versions and presumably to the prototype, ie browner than the 8852 or 81423.

      I'm curious to know whether anyone has these other Z sets or HO versions to compare, and whether the color is the same as the 8852, or less orange and more brown.
      Best
    • ZettZeit
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
        Robert,

        yes, the 8852 is too orange.

        But its important to know, that the manufacturer in the 1920s had no
        full standardized colours. And the depots, that made repaintings also not.
        And you know, weather, sun and dirt changed the colours and bleached
        them after short time in use.

        I think, hitting the correct colour of the brown crocodile espeially and
        the old SBB machines at all is a real challenge for each manufacturer. I
        have an H0 scale croc from ROCO, which has nearly the same colour than 8852.

        I put a picture into my album which shows different brown shades of
        swiss Z locos.

        My opinion: Marklins 8851 Ae 3/6 III hits it almost perfect.

        My Ae 3/6 III made by Harald Freudenreich has THE brown, how it should
        be. That's my opinion, but for that loco I'm shlightly biased ;-)

        Jens
      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
          Hello Robert,
          Hello Jens,

          regarding to the correct color for the Swiss crocodiles this website
          might "help" (sorry it's only in German, but perhaps the Google
          translation won't kill it to much). The story told is from the RhB, but
          I believe that it wasn't that much different in other paces as well:

          http://www.voelklein-bodensee.de/kurios.htm (scroll down to the bottom).

          GreetingZ

          Uwe

          PS: The word "Nordlicht" (Northlight) is kind of a nick name for people
          from Northern Germany.
        • Bogdan Tudor
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
            Hi all,
            Some close pictures with Marklin 81433, I hope it helps...

            https://picasaweb.google.com/118125320621111805252/ZMarklin81433Be68SBBW?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCL-zhq6xnezIFw&feat=directlink

            Good to know about these color differences, I was thinking to buy also the 81423, now I will pass it...
            Regards,
            Bogdan

          • sbb_z
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
              Uwe, thanks for that!! So true . . .
              Thus I conclude that the Marklin technician responsible for the 8852
              drank a little too much of his paint-thinner, before he got to work.
              regardz
              Robert

              > http://www.voelklein-bodensee.de/kurios.htm (scroll down to the bottom).
              >
              > GreetingZ
              >
              > Uwe
              >
              > PS: The word "Nordlicht" (Northlight) is kind of a nick name for people
              > from Northern Germany.

            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
                Here is something that has yet to be mentioned. If you have eye cataracts
                removed you will see several magnitudes difference in color -- SO, What is
                the correct color?? What you see or someone else sees.

                Just remember, it is your layout. Go with it.

                ...don

                On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Bogdan Tudor <bogtudor@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi all,
                > Some close pictures with Marklin 81433, I hope it helps...
                >

                > https://picasaweb.google.com/118125320621111805252/ZMarklin81433Be68SBBW?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCL-zhq6xnezIFw&feat=directlink
                >
                > Good to know about these color differences, I was thinking to buy also the
                > 81423, now I will pass it...
                > Regards,
                > Bogdan

                *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
                  On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:02:53 -0500
                  Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                  > Here is something that has yet to be mentioned. If you have eye cataracts
                  > removed you will see several magnitudes difference in color -- SO, What is
                  > the correct color?? What you see or someone else sees.

                  Depends on the light shining on it too - you can get into a horrible mess
                  colour matching under flourescent light and then seeing the match in
                  sunlight!
                • sbb_z
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Hi Bogdan
                    Thanks for the pix; as I say, the color here on the 81433 appears more correct than on the 8852.