Re: Z scale containers

  • Jeff Newburg
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
      Malcolm, this is extremely helpful – thanks for the information.
      Jeff N
    • FR.model@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
        Folks,

        in the years before 2000 Marklin containers were the only choice for Z
        intermodal traffic.
        At the very early beginning (in 1999 / 2000) I started with the
        production of simple decal
        lettered TTX 48" Gunderson Huskies loaded with Global Trans and Cosco
        40' containers
        from Marklin.
        When I continued with pad printed stack cars I had access to a
        compromised tool for
        a plastic smooth side, corrugated front 20' injection mould. About 600
        Huskies of different
        paint schemes were built with 20' ACL and CP Ships container until 2005.

        The 40' 42R1 style reefer was my first "big" injection mould investment.
        Several paint schemes
        were made for the Gunderson Maxi III production. In 2008 I made about
        200 Hapag Lloyd 40' reefers.
        Actually we have the sealand and the MAERSK in the MCZ and FR line.
        Others will follow.
        Today we mostly see the higher Hi-Cube 40' reefer versions at streets,
        rails and ships.

        The 56' Husky came with the all new 53' Hi Cube Jindo container
        (designed in the USA, art work
        done at my studios and produced in China). A 40' Hi Cube corrugated
        containers made in the
        same manner now completes this line. In the States these containers are
        available at MCZ retailers.

        Actually I see no sufficient desire for another American style hand
        crafted (higher priced)
        Z-scale container car. The old compromised 20' container mould was
        improved to an all
        corrugated style for European container cars. They have no stacking
        holes at the top since
        double stack service is not possible at most tracks due to the catenary
        at 6.00m height.
        The 20' regular height corrugated containers now come with two-axle
        Scandinavian style
        container cars painted and lettered for Tollpost Globe, Posten Norge AS
        and Volvo.

        Harald
        --
        FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK
        Harald Thom-Freudenreich

      • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
          On Thu Nov 8, 2012 Jeff Newburg wrote:

          > This is extremely helpful.

          Jeff,

          Glad that I could be of help. It really does hurt to see people running stuff that doesn't even come close to something that exists in the real world (aside from taking up the same space, of course). I have put together a summary of what's available in Z in the way of double stack cars as well as containers but it's a little long for the Z_scale list. E-mail me and I'll send it to you

          With new offerings such as Stonebridge Models' Maxi IVs (a 3 unit piece of rolling stock with 53' wells exquisitely detailed by Tim Buehring) we are making progress. Unfortunately, I believe they are now all sold out. AZL has brought out very nice 89' flatcars, but they are populated with the AZL containers instead of the 53' or 28' trailers they would normally carry. There are no RTR trailers available, just Shapeways' rapid prototyped items. The usefulness of these are severely limited by the necessity of degreasing, priming, painting and decaling them. Decals are a real problem.

          CheerZ,
          -- Malcolm Z
          MCZ Models

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
            >containers instead of the 53' or 28' trailers they would normally carry. There are no RTR trailers available, just Shapeways' rapid prototyped items.
            > The usefulness of these are severely limited by the necessity of
            > degreasing, priming, painting and decaling them. Decals are a real
            > problem.

            Clean them in white spirit, spray them directly with a good acrylic. They
            shouldn't even need priming. Still leaves the decal problem. Fortunately
            a lot of the more generic containers these days just seem to have black
            writing on plain backgrounds and black decals are easy to make at home.

            Alan