Cars & Pickups

  • thomascb2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
      About a year ago I bought a total of 38 cars and pickups to put on my layout. I bought them from E. L. Ruddick and they sat idle until about two weeks ago when I started to put them together.

      At first I was intimadated by the separate wheels but I glued the inside down to cardboard with 1/2 - 1/2 white glue then air brushed them with gray primer then flat black. I then put a dot of metalic silver one each for the hubcap -- then discovered the decals. After it was all dried out I soaked the cardboard to loosen the wheels. I caught them in a tea strainer and set them out to dry.

      Next I glued the bodies to cardboard like I had done with the wheels. After airbrushing with gray primer I picked out 5-6 colors and airbrushed 6-8 vehicles for each color. When all was dry I soaked the cardboard to release them. I washed wheels and vehicles to get any residual glue off.

      Once again I was intimadated by the decals because there were 5-6 for each vehicle. My first attempt was to put all the decals on each car at once. What a mess! The second decal loosened the first and so on. My second attempt was better since I applied one decal to all the vehicles, waited until dry then applied "Solvaset". Then one to the next decal until all were done.

      I then gave the vehicles a quick blast of Dullcoat to seal down the decales.

      Next I made sure the wheelwells were clean to the metal then CA glued one side of wheels in place the the othere side. I now have 38 beautiful cars and pickups to put on my layout...after a bit of weathering. to account for "Texas Dust".

      Tom in Dallas
    • Lindley Ruddick
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
        This is written with humor in mind.
        Yep, some model making skills required!
        No RTR here!
        That is why we give plenty of extras.
        Blue painter's tape doubled over its self and attached to a piece of cardboard saves the trouble of soaking.
        You have now learned a new skill that you will use many times in the future. You were able to perfect this skill on relatively inexpensive items so you are now ready to attack the next project.
        Please post some photos or at least send me some using elruddick at cox dot net
        Happy modeling. Thanks for the "testimonial".
        For anyone who is interested, I have plenty for sale using the above email address. Depending upon quantity price is $1.00 - $1.50 each plus postage and PayPal fees.
        Lindley (a.k.a. elruddick. E. L. Ruddick)

        On Oct 30, 2012, at 10:45 AM, thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@...> wrote:

        > About a year ago I bought a total of 38 cars and pickups to put on my layout. I bought them from E. L. Ruddick and they sat idle until about two weeks ago when I started to put them together.
        >
        > At first I was intimadated by the separate wheels but I glued the inside down to cardboard with 1/2 - 1/2 white glue then air brushed them with gray primer then flat black. I then put a dot of metalic silver one each for the hubcap -- then discovered the decals. After it was all dried out I soaked the cardboard to loosen the wheels. I caught them in a tea strainer and set them out to dry.
        >
        > Next I glued the bodies to cardboard like I had done with the wheels. After airbrushing with gray primer I picked out 5-6 colors and airbrushed 6-8 vehicles for each color. When all was dry I soaked the cardboard to release them. I washed wheels and vehicles to get any residual glue off.
        >
        > Once again I was intimadated by the decals because there were 5-6 for each vehicle. My first attempt was to put all the decals on each car at once. What a mess! The second decal loosened the first and so on. My second attempt was better since I applied one decal to all the vehicles, waited until dry then applied "Solvaset". Then one to the next decal until all were done.
        >
        > I then gave the vehicles a quick blast of Dullcoat to seal down the decales.
        >
        > Next I made sure the wheelwells were clean to the metal then CA glued one side of wheels in place the the othere side. I now have 38 beautiful cars and pickups to put on my layout...after a bit of weathering. to account for "Texas Dust".
        >
        > Tom in Dallas

      • Lee Barry
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
          place pictures of the cars on this site. We'd all like to get a good look at them