F7 Micro Train couplins

  • EricJ
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2012
      Just wondered if anyone makes the close couplings akin to the Marklin F7's A.B.A. They look great close coupled and wondered if I could do the same to the Micro Trains. Suggests welcome. Eric
    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 2012
        I think that most of us have just cut a short piece of strip styrene (that is narrow enough to fit in the coupler box), drilled holes on both ends for the coupler screws, and just made our own. It's quite easy. For added runnability, I also recommend wiring them together. This doubles the number of wheels conducting and greatly reduces stalls.
        Dan S.

        Just wondered if anyone makes the close couplings akin to the Marklin F7's A.B.A. They look great close coupled and wondered if I could do the same to the Micro Trains. Suggests welcome. Eric

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2012
          As far as I know there is no factory production of such devices. Not from Micro-Trains nor anybody else. You're committed to build your own drawbars. I guess they're easy to build with styrene stripes, matching the truck mounted coupler screw. And as said earlier, I also recommend a permanent coupling with cables linking all chassis halves in a same side together, in order to improve power pick-up.

          Dom

          Just wondered if anyone makes the close couplings akin to the Marklin F7's A.B.A. They look great close coupled and wondered if I could do the same to the Micro Trains. Suggests welcome. Eric

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2012
            On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 07:46:42 +0100 (BST)
            de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

            > As far as I know there is no factory production of such devices. Not from Micro-Trains nor anybody else. You're committed to build your own drawbars. I guess they're easy to build with styrene stripes, matching the truck mounted coupler screw. And as said earlier, I also recommend a permanent coupling with cables linking all chassis halves in a same side together, in order to improve power pick-up.

            I find metal is better for such things - in part because you then have to
            run less wires (one of them is the drawbar itself. It's also possible to
            make a metal or similar drawbar far thinner than a styrene or 3D printed
            one. You just need a bit of old guitar string and some fine pliers to turn
            a pair of loops on the wire then trim it.

            Alan
          • EricJ
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2012
              Thanks Alan for the info. I have some etched brass sheet that could be used. Great idea about the elecrtical pickup between the A & B units.
              Regards Eric

            • jmui@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 22, 2012
                If you going to do the electrical pickup, then do away with the couplers.
                The wires are going to couple the two engines together. I have a SD40 and
                slug unit, and they share a decoder and electrical pickup. The hard part is
                finding wires thin and flexible enough.

                John