Re: What is the status of z scale these days

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 97 , Oct 1, 2012
      There is a reason for MTL flex being shorter than 3 ft. I seem to recall there is a limit on how long a package can be when going by parcel post without paying a surcharge and so MTL can ship thier flex without this problem where as with 3 ft flex I have always had to pay extra to get it shipped to me when buying Peco or any other scale track in lengths 3 feet or longer.

      As to trouble with MTL loco OOTB I have yet to see it. I have 4 SD40-2 and 16 Gp chassis6 F 7 chassis and the only problem I had was when I dropped one with a motor with ceramic shafts and the shock of hitting the concrete snapped the shaft on one end. aside from that I had one of the geeps which ran slow out of the box and I backed off on the screws hoding the truck side rame in place and that solved that. I use the term chassis as I have used them to power things that were not intended to operate and things I created because there was nothing avaialble. I have done a fair bit of maintenace of locos Marklin, MTL and AZL and I find the MTL ones to be the toughest and easiest to fix, and the only one that I felt needed a fix out of the box was the original F7 and I have installed many of Glenn's wheel wipers to fix that pickup problem. I do not know if the newest version needs this help or if the cats whisker wiper on the gear tower has been modified to lessenor improve this problem. With all these engines they are pretty fine but you need to have some skill to work on,or modify them and I have done pletty of that and am still doing it at 70 and after surviving a stroke, so what more can I say, for some of us the joy of tinkering is probably more rewarding than taking it off the store shelf and putting it on the track and running it. However I find their are too many who find more joy in ownership and having sit on shelf than doing anything with it, and then complain when it does not run, these things are like a car you leave it sitting on the driveway to impress your friends and take it out once or twice a year on a sunny day after washing and waxing it and youwonder why it is blowing blue smoke. A little bit of maintenance and run it freqently and you will get a life time of joy from it. I like to run so have modified many cars and engines to make them run better and have even made things run that were not intended to run on 6.5mm track. My big thing is body mounted couplers which were a standard for MTL early on. With body mounts and metal wheels and good track switching is now possible, but mostly Z is run and when I look at it at shows, it is incredible how well this small scale runs and how dependabbly it runs for many of us on layouts with really good track work and with a bit of hand holding on layouts with track work that needs some work. Z requires patience most of all and if you have not got that then you are better off in another scale. If you have a great deal to complain about the scale then you are not in the right scale so, get over it and move to one that meets your expectations. Life is too short to be frustrated with a scale that is not meeting your needs and that goes for alott of other things in our lives. I came to Z scale from N scale at age 60. so nothing is impossible if it interests you. if it doesn't then pass it by.

      cheers Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Kent Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

      > On Sat Sep 29 2012 "dr strangelove" kaierwillie0815 wrote:
      >
      > > No respect from the big boys? Are we earning it???
      >
      > Folks,
      >
      > Dr. Strangelove (whoever he is, I strongly distrust anonymity) has some VERY good points. Not all of them; what's wrong with circus trains? The circus still does move by train and it is a fascinating subject to some. On the other hand, I would have to see actual sales and cost figures to convince me that MTL's Haunted Village initiative has ever made a profit for MTL. On the other hand, it might just be the thing that hooks a kid for life on our hobby, so there are several sides to this debate, like most.
      >
      > Don't know about spaghetti layouts in Z, but you can see plenty of them in other scales. Even a Z scale layout that had the proper ratio of scenery to RR would need a medium sized warehouse and wouldn't have much RR. The Northlandz HO layout in Flemington, NJ does occupy a warehouse with 7 miles of track and it still doesn't look like a prototype. Most people are interested in RRs, not primarily scenery.
      >
      > Is there really as much stuff out there that is completely unprototypical, as Strangelove claims? I know there are some like the IGC release that he cites and my favorite examples, MTL containers and the 48' well cars labeled 53'. Feel free to give other examples.
      >
      > The points about lack of spare parts should be taken to heart by AZL. I think MTL does a better job of providing spare parts for their locomotives and rolling stock.
      >
      > On the other hand, I have 4 GP35s and not one of them has run well out of the box (OOTB). They all required tender loving care by the Stiska's or someone else. I have an F7A unit now that does not run well and will require some TLC. So "Strangelove's" point about stuff that does not run well OOTB appears to be at least partially on target. I recently ran some of the tweaked GP35s at a train show and they ran well, but I was shocked at how poorly they pulled on a minimal grade. I calculate that you would have to MU at least 4 of them to get half way realistic train lengths on a layout with 1% grades.
      >
      > I have 16 or 17 AZL locomotives and most of them that would run ran well OOTB. However, 3 of them arrived DOA with bad motors. I am told that the Faulhaber motor is extremely sensitive to temperature changes that might be encountered in shipping, so that may be part of the explanation. Those locomotives are now in the hands of Don Fedjur for remotoring. I only hope they don't encounter big temperature changes on the way back to me.

> [...]
    • omg_joel
      Message 97 of 97 , Oct 8, 2012
        Hey Ray. I have done vancouver to montreal on via and its a scenery you cannot duplicate anywhere. And if anybody tells you food on trains is poor, they havent done this trip

            Regards ,     Joel