Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Why 1:220 ?

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2, 2012
      Hello Larry,

      thank you for your translation...

      > Please excuse all the errors. I did say rough

      that's ok with me, until I came to this line:

      > Meat man came 1968 first with a truck course...

      "Meat man" means the modeltrain manufacturer "Fleischmann":

      http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28Unternehmen%29

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28model_railroads%29

      ...but I have to admit that "Meat man" is the direct translation for the
      pure words. I don't know which translation software you used, since I
      got the correct result ("Fleischmann" = "Fleischmann") in Google.

      An interesting detail for Fleischmann can be found in the German
      Wikipedia text. Fleischmann also had a slotcar system from 1967 until
      1989, which is stated to be better then the market leader Carrera:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrera_%28slot_car_brand%29

      and that the model quality from Fleischmann slotcars were better then
      all other brands, except the Maerklin Sprint system.

      GreetingZ

      Uwe
    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
        All,
        Thanks for a lot of interesting info. I was hoping for an "interesting" story: a rational fraction of some obsure european scale (like "O" vs. "HO") or a story like David's that rolling stock had to fit in the pocket.

        Mark

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dks2855" <david@...> wrote:

        > And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.
        >
        > A few others:
        > Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.
        >
        > Regards,
        > David
        >
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
        > > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
        > > > and fertilizers ;>)
        > >
        > > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
        > > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
        > > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
        > > that space.

      • Rick Saviano
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
          Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
          switch CDs:

          Sony had initially preferred a smaller diameter, but soon after the
          beginning of the collaboration started to argue vehemently for a
          diameter of 120mm. Sony’s argument was simple and compelling: to
          maximize the consumer appear of a switch to the new technology, any
          major piece of music needed to fit on a single CD…Beethoven’s Ninth
          Symphony was quickly identified as the point of reference — according to
          some accounts, it was the favorite piece of Sony vice-president Norio
          Ohga’s wife. And thorough research identified the 1951 recording by the
          orchestra of the Bayreuther Festspiele under Wilhelm Furtwängler, at
          seventy-four minutes, as the slowest performance of the Ninth Symphony
          on record. And so, according to the official history, Sony and Philips
          top executives agreed in their May 1980 meeting that “a diameter of 12
          centimeters was required for this playing time.”

          http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/03/what-determined-the-length-of-an-audio-cd/

          - Rick Saviano

          On 9/4/2012 9:48 AM, mark2playz wrote:
          > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
          > particular classical piece.
        • FT. Dewey
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 5, 2012
            "Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
            switch CDs:"

            Good thing it wasn't Wagner's Ring Cycle !!
                                                                                                         DEWEY

            _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`