Re: [Z_Scale] Why 1:220 ?

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
      > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
      > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
      > and fertilizers ;>)

      But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
      particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
      looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
      that space.
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
        Hi Alan,all,
        Read 'Prey" by Michael Crichton.

        That might help or hurt. :-)

        Best,Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
          Here is a rough translation taken from the Koll's Intro portion of the
          book on Maerklin Z scale.

          Please excuse all the errors. I did say rough

          Quote:

          From the outset there were toy railways in different sizes. Also the
          tracks had different mass, so that the locomotives and car manufacturer
          on the tracks of the other one could not drive. That changed only, after
          Maerklin had standardized the track widths and most offerers had adapted.

          Already 1895 offered "l" (45 mm) to Maerklin apart from the then most
          common track width the larger systems "2" (51 mm) and "3"(72 mm), which
          were manufactured however in very small numbers of items after
          vorbestellung and therefore today are extremely rare. The track width
          "0" (32 mm), likewise already 1895 in the program, could be offered
          clearly more cheaply. Still smaller courses were offered to 1902 by the
          Nuernberger company Schoenner: "00" (30 mm) and "000" (23 mm). There
          were however in addition no switches. 1912 brought then a table course,
          the "Liliput railway" (23 mm) to Maerklin, which was offered to 1932.
          Also it did not possess switches, which did not promote its success. The
          production of smaller courses made problems, because one could make the
          drive smaller at that time not yet at will.1923 appeared then the first
          toy course in the track width 16.5 mm, of Bing in Nuernberg manufactured
          for the Englishman W. J. Bassett Bassett-Lowke. 1925 manufactured the
          French company JEP their "Mignon trains" with same track width. Only
          1935, ten years later, came the companies Trix and Maerklin nearly at
          the same time with its track width 00 (16.5 mm. Yardstick 1:87). Saving
          in material and thus a small price, as well as space saving, were the
          motives for the introduction on the market. The toy courses had not
          formed themselves as table courses angepriesen at that time and yet as
          model courses. This changed however in the run the time, when one was
          able to manufacture ever nature-more faithful models.

          The stationary model railway facility had become now the worthwhile goal
          of the railway friends, but it caused a very large space requirement,
          wanted one also only to some extent realistic railway facilities to
          develop. Also after that 2. World war was not missing it at attempts to
          make the toy railway smaller further. Thus the "Mignon" railway from
          1947 to 1950 (track width 10 mm became. Yardstick 1:150) offered,
          obviously their time too far ahead. 1950 saw many model railway friends
          in the track width "TT" (12 mm, yardstick 1:120) the chance to carry out
          a realistic model railway facility. The company Rokal developed within a
          short time a rich model course program, which however 1971 was stopped.
          In the GDR the track width "TT" came 1958 on the market and could create
          itself a large friend circle, which is still very active also today.

          1959 appeared Trix with unpowered soil runners "Minitrix" on a scale
          1:180. 1961 came Arnold with the electrical "Arnold Rapido" (9 mm.
          Yardstick 1:200), which was improved from year to year and then the
          yardstick 1:160, track width "N" received. 1964 brought also the company
          Piko a course in track width "N" and Minitrix electric appeared now with
          track system.

          Meat man came 1968 first with a truck course and one year later also
          with tracks into track width "N". In this yardstick now a large railway
          facility at small place could be realized very well. To today continuous
          success of the track width "N" appeared fast and led also in Goeppingen,
          with Maerklin to activities.

          one began 1962 with the development of a course in track width "N",
          which was final with production stage two years later. One was not
          convinced however of an economic success and began with the development
          of a still smaller model railway. Investigations on the dependence of
          the manufacturing costs on the yardstick had resulted in that a
          continuous lowering of the costs with the reduction took place. If one
          made smaller however too strongly, the costs rose again dramatically.
          Maerklin selected a yardstick, which lay still reliably in the range of
          economy: 1:220 (track width 6.5 mm).

          one cleared first the model course municipality in the magazine Miba for
          1968 up over the fact that Maerklin had the trace "N" in the drawer, but
          is evenly not convinced of this track width. That worked something
          disconcerting, where itself nevertheless straight only meat man had
          decided to mix together with "N" could not however success in the long
          run not stop.

          The considerations assumed with Maerklin

          1. should be obtained during the introduction of a new track width a
          maximum space gain. Here the yardstick 1:220 of the track width "Z"
          offers clear advantages in relation to the yardstick 1:160 of the track
          width "N".

          2. It would be more economical to create its own standard to be than an
          offerer under many with the track width "N".

          3. The however position with the superlativ "smallest electric train of
          the world" would offer large advantages in press and advertisement.

          4. It could not be correct for a market leader with large tradition to
          attach itself to a trend but one would have to make a trend.

          5. One would select children as a Kem target group not, but adults.

          6. The "mini club" should be positioned as gift.

          7. One the women strengthened to respond, because Mrs. small, nice
          things to like.

          Unquote.

        • dks2855
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
            And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.

            A few others:
            Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.

            Regards,
            David

            > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
            > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
            > > and fertilizers ;>)
            >
            > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
            > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
            > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
            > that space.

          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2012
              Hello Larry,

              thank you for your translation...

              > Please excuse all the errors. I did say rough

              that's ok with me, until I came to this line:

              > Meat man came 1968 first with a truck course...

              "Meat man" means the modeltrain manufacturer "Fleischmann":

              http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28Unternehmen%29

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28model_railroads%29

              ...but I have to admit that "Meat man" is the direct translation for the
              pure words. I don't know which translation software you used, since I
              got the correct result ("Fleischmann" = "Fleischmann") in Google.

              An interesting detail for Fleischmann can be found in the German
              Wikipedia text. Fleischmann also had a slotcar system from 1967 until
              1989, which is stated to be better then the market leader Carrera:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrera_%28slot_car_brand%29

              and that the model quality from Fleischmann slotcars were better then
              all other brands, except the Maerklin Sprint system.

              GreetingZ

              Uwe
            • mark2playz
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
                All,
                Thanks for a lot of interesting info. I was hoping for an "interesting" story: a rational fraction of some obsure european scale (like "O" vs. "HO") or a story like David's that rolling stock had to fit in the pocket.

                Mark

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dks2855" <david@...> wrote:

                > And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.
                >
                > A few others:
                > Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.
                >
                > Regards,
                > David
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
                > > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
                > > > and fertilizers ;>)
                > >
                > > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                > > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
                > > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
                > > that space.

              • Rick Saviano
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
                  Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
                  switch CDs:

                  Sony had initially preferred a smaller diameter, but soon after the
                  beginning of the collaboration started to argue vehemently for a
                  diameter of 120mm. Sony’s argument was simple and compelling: to
                  maximize the consumer appear of a switch to the new technology, any
                  major piece of music needed to fit on a single CD…Beethoven’s Ninth
                  Symphony was quickly identified as the point of reference — according to
                  some accounts, it was the favorite piece of Sony vice-president Norio
                  Ohga’s wife. And thorough research identified the 1951 recording by the
                  orchestra of the Bayreuther Festspiele under Wilhelm Furtwängler, at
                  seventy-four minutes, as the slowest performance of the Ninth Symphony
                  on record. And so, according to the official history, Sony and Philips
                  top executives agreed in their May 1980 meeting that “a diameter of 12
                  centimeters was required for this playing time.”

                  http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/03/what-determined-the-length-of-an-audio-cd/

                  - Rick Saviano

                  On 9/4/2012 9:48 AM, mark2playz wrote:
                  > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                  > particular classical piece.
                • FT. Dewey
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 5, 2012
                    "Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
                    switch CDs:"

                    Good thing it wasn't Wagner's Ring Cycle !!
                                                                                                                 DEWEY

                    _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`