Re: [Z_Scale] Why 1:220 ?

  • Lee Barry
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
      I thought you were. Boy how disheartened you made me, ha ha.

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
        thanks for the info Kevin

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
          Thanks for posting the link! I was looking for that...

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          Distributor American Z Line
          Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
          and Rokuhan dealer.
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          www.ztrackresale.com
          www.rokuhan-store.com
          6142 Northcliff Blvd
          Dublin OH 43016
          (614) 764-1703

        • Kevin Brady
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
            Hi Lee,all,
            Your most welcome!
            All the best,Kevin.

            --
            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
              Reynard,

              Some good and interesting info has been posted and I think we are all
              enjoying catching up on our Z history.

              We certainly have a wealth of product lines compared to the early days of Z.

              A great time to be modeling,

              Loren

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 14:53:09 -0400 (EDT)
                ztrack@... wrote:

                > I had heard that Marklin engineers looked at the smallest trains that was
                > feasible to produce with the technology at the time. Their calculations came
                > up with a track gauge of 6.5mm, which equated to 1:220. This was over 25%
                > smaller than N scale which was still in it's infancy.

                On the business side it's been said in several places they did it because
                they wanted their "own" scale or system so they could get more money out
                of it than joining the standards. Just as they've always done with their
                weird AC HO control systems.

                Alan
              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                  > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
                  > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
                  > and fertilizers ;>)

                  But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                  particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
                  looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
                  that space.
                • Kevin Brady
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                    Hi Alan,all,
                    Read 'Prey" by Michael Crichton.

                    That might help or hurt. :-)

                    Best,Kev

                    --
                    Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

                  • Larry
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                      Here is a rough translation taken from the Koll's Intro portion of the
                      book on Maerklin Z scale.

                      Please excuse all the errors. I did say rough

                      Quote:

                      From the outset there were toy railways in different sizes. Also the
                      tracks had different mass, so that the locomotives and car manufacturer
                      on the tracks of the other one could not drive. That changed only, after
                      Maerklin had standardized the track widths and most offerers had adapted.

                      Already 1895 offered "l" (45 mm) to Maerklin apart from the then most
                      common track width the larger systems "2" (51 mm) and "3"(72 mm), which
                      were manufactured however in very small numbers of items after
                      vorbestellung and therefore today are extremely rare. The track width
                      "0" (32 mm), likewise already 1895 in the program, could be offered
                      clearly more cheaply. Still smaller courses were offered to 1902 by the
                      Nuernberger company Schoenner: "00" (30 mm) and "000" (23 mm). There
                      were however in addition no switches. 1912 brought then a table course,
                      the "Liliput railway" (23 mm) to Maerklin, which was offered to 1932.
                      Also it did not possess switches, which did not promote its success. The
                      production of smaller courses made problems, because one could make the
                      drive smaller at that time not yet at will.1923 appeared then the first
                      toy course in the track width 16.5 mm, of Bing in Nuernberg manufactured
                      for the Englishman W. J. Bassett Bassett-Lowke. 1925 manufactured the
                      French company JEP their "Mignon trains" with same track width. Only
                      1935, ten years later, came the companies Trix and Maerklin nearly at
                      the same time with its track width 00 (16.5 mm. Yardstick 1:87). Saving
                      in material and thus a small price, as well as space saving, were the
                      motives for the introduction on the market. The toy courses had not
                      formed themselves as table courses angepriesen at that time and yet as
                      model courses. This changed however in the run the time, when one was
                      able to manufacture ever nature-more faithful models.

                      The stationary model railway facility had become now the worthwhile goal
                      of the railway friends, but it caused a very large space requirement,
                      wanted one also only to some extent realistic railway facilities to
                      develop. Also after that 2. World war was not missing it at attempts to
                      make the toy railway smaller further. Thus the "Mignon" railway from
                      1947 to 1950 (track width 10 mm became. Yardstick 1:150) offered,
                      obviously their time too far ahead. 1950 saw many model railway friends
                      in the track width "TT" (12 mm, yardstick 1:120) the chance to carry out
                      a realistic model railway facility. The company Rokal developed within a
                      short time a rich model course program, which however 1971 was stopped.
                      In the GDR the track width "TT" came 1958 on the market and could create
                      itself a large friend circle, which is still very active also today.

                      1959 appeared Trix with unpowered soil runners "Minitrix" on a scale
                      1:180. 1961 came Arnold with the electrical "Arnold Rapido" (9 mm.
                      Yardstick 1:200), which was improved from year to year and then the
                      yardstick 1:160, track width "N" received. 1964 brought also the company
                      Piko a course in track width "N" and Minitrix electric appeared now with
                      track system.

                      Meat man came 1968 first with a truck course and one year later also
                      with tracks into track width "N". In this yardstick now a large railway
                      facility at small place could be realized very well. To today continuous
                      success of the track width "N" appeared fast and led also in Goeppingen,
                      with Maerklin to activities.

                      one began 1962 with the development of a course in track width "N",
                      which was final with production stage two years later. One was not
                      convinced however of an economic success and began with the development
                      of a still smaller model railway. Investigations on the dependence of
                      the manufacturing costs on the yardstick had resulted in that a
                      continuous lowering of the costs with the reduction took place. If one
                      made smaller however too strongly, the costs rose again dramatically.
                      Maerklin selected a yardstick, which lay still reliably in the range of
                      economy: 1:220 (track width 6.5 mm).

                      one cleared first the model course municipality in the magazine Miba for
                      1968 up over the fact that Maerklin had the trace "N" in the drawer, but
                      is evenly not convinced of this track width. That worked something
                      disconcerting, where itself nevertheless straight only meat man had
                      decided to mix together with "N" could not however success in the long
                      run not stop.

                      The considerations assumed with Maerklin

                      1. should be obtained during the introduction of a new track width a
                      maximum space gain. Here the yardstick 1:220 of the track width "Z"
                      offers clear advantages in relation to the yardstick 1:160 of the track
                      width "N".

                      2. It would be more economical to create its own standard to be than an
                      offerer under many with the track width "N".

                      3. The however position with the superlativ "smallest electric train of
                      the world" would offer large advantages in press and advertisement.

                      4. It could not be correct for a market leader with large tradition to
                      attach itself to a trend but one would have to make a trend.

                      5. One would select children as a Kem target group not, but adults.

                      6. The "mini club" should be positioned as gift.

                      7. One the women strengthened to respond, because Mrs. small, nice
                      things to like.

                      Unquote.

                    • dks2855
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                        And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.

                        A few others:
                        Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.

                        Regards,
                        David

                        > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
                        > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
                        > > and fertilizers ;>)
                        >
                        > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                        > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
                        > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
                        > that space.

                      • Uwe Liermann
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 2, 2012
                          Hello Larry,

                          thank you for your translation...

                          > Please excuse all the errors. I did say rough

                          that's ok with me, until I came to this line:

                          > Meat man came 1968 first with a truck course...

                          "Meat man" means the modeltrain manufacturer "Fleischmann":

                          http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28Unternehmen%29

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28model_railroads%29

                          ...but I have to admit that "Meat man" is the direct translation for the
                          pure words. I don't know which translation software you used, since I
                          got the correct result ("Fleischmann" = "Fleischmann") in Google.

                          An interesting detail for Fleischmann can be found in the German
                          Wikipedia text. Fleischmann also had a slotcar system from 1967 until
                          1989, which is stated to be better then the market leader Carrera:

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrera_%28slot_car_brand%29

                          and that the model quality from Fleischmann slotcars were better then
                          all other brands, except the Maerklin Sprint system.

                          GreetingZ

                          Uwe
                        • mark2playz
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
                            All,
                            Thanks for a lot of interesting info. I was hoping for an "interesting" story: a rational fraction of some obsure european scale (like "O" vs. "HO") or a story like David's that rolling stock had to fit in the pocket.

                            Mark

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dks2855" <david@...> wrote:

                            > And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.
                            >
                            > A few others:
                            > Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > David
                            >
                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
                            > > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
                            > > > and fertilizers ;>)
                            > >
                            > > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                            > > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
                            > > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
                            > > that space.

                          • Rick Saviano
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
                              Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
                              switch CDs:

                              Sony had initially preferred a smaller diameter, but soon after the
                              beginning of the collaboration started to argue vehemently for a
                              diameter of 120mm. Sony’s argument was simple and compelling: to
                              maximize the consumer appear of a switch to the new technology, any
                              major piece of music needed to fit on a single CD…Beethoven’s Ninth
                              Symphony was quickly identified as the point of reference — according to
                              some accounts, it was the favorite piece of Sony vice-president Norio
                              Ohga’s wife. And thorough research identified the 1951 recording by the
                              orchestra of the Bayreuther Festspiele under Wilhelm Furtwängler, at
                              seventy-four minutes, as the slowest performance of the Ninth Symphony
                              on record. And so, according to the official history, Sony and Philips
                              top executives agreed in their May 1980 meeting that “a diameter of 12
                              centimeters was required for this playing time.”

                              http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/03/what-determined-the-length-of-an-audio-cd/

                              - Rick Saviano

                              On 9/4/2012 9:48 AM, mark2playz wrote:
                              > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                              > particular classical piece.
                            • FT. Dewey
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 5, 2012
                                "Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
                                switch CDs:"

                                Good thing it wasn't Wagner's Ring Cycle !!
                                                                                                                             DEWEY

                                _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`