Re: [Z_Scale] Why 1:220 ?

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hi Loren,
      I also suspect that it had something to do with the
      track gauge of exactly 6.5 mm that Marklin came up with
      and the diameter of the available motors that would
      work within that range.

      We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
      for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
      and fertilizers ;>)

      Reynard
      http://www.micronart.com

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
        I had heard that Marklin engineers looked at the smallest trains that was
        feasible to produce with the technology at the time. Their calculations came
        up with a track gauge of 6.5mm, which equated to 1:220. This was over 25%
        smaller than N scale which was still in it's infancy.

        Marklin had actually looked at producing N scale in 1968 but stopped
        production in lieu of going to Z scale. They had a few prototypes that showed off
        during that period.

        Another interesting note is the motors Marklin uses. These originated as
        slot car motors. They were readily available at that time.

        Somewhere in my notes. I have the name of the chief engineer who developed
        Z. His is the true father of Z scale.

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        Distributor American Z Line
        Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
        and Rokuhan dealer.
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        www.ztrackresale.com
        www.rokuhan-store.com
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • Lee Barry
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
          I thought you were. Boy how disheartened you made me, ha ha.

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
            Hi all,
            True! In late 60's and early 70's I and several friends had HO size
            slot cars(Aurora)?Which as one can imagine had tiny motors,which we use to
            modify for -speed- :-) So I think that was the reason for M to go about
            Z,.....

            Kev

            On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM, <ztrack@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I had heard that Marklin engineers looked at the smallest trains that was
            > feasible to produce with the technology at the time. Their calculations
            > came
            > up with a track gauge of 6.5mm, which equated to 1:220. This was over 25%
            > smaller than N scale which was still in it's infancy.
            >
            > Marklin had actually looked at producing N scale in 1968 but stopped
            > production in lieu of going to Z scale. They had a few prototypes that
            > showed off
            > during that period.
            >
            > Another interesting note is the motors Marklin uses. These originated as
            > slot car motors. They were readily available at that time.
            >
            > Somewhere in my notes. I have the name of the chief engineer who developed
            > Z. His is the true father of Z scale.
            >
            > Rob
            >
            > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            > Distributor American Z Line
            > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
            > and Rokuhan dealer.
            > www.ztrack.com
            > www.ztrackcenter.com
            > www.ztrackresale.com
            > www.rokuhan-store.com
            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
            > Dublin OH 43016
            > (614) 764-1703

            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
              Hi all,

              see:http://www.guidetozscale.com/html/history_of_z-scale.html

              Best,Kev

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                thanks for the info Kevin

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                  Thanks for posting the link! I was looking for that...

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                    Hi Lee,all,
                    Your most welcome!
                    All the best,Kevin.

                    --
                    Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                      Reynard,

                      Some good and interesting info has been posted and I think we are all
                      enjoying catching up on our Z history.

                      We certainly have a wealth of product lines compared to the early days of Z.

                      A great time to be modeling,

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                        On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 14:53:09 -0400 (EDT)
                        ztrack@... wrote:

                        > I had heard that Marklin engineers looked at the smallest trains that was
                        > feasible to produce with the technology at the time. Their calculations came
                        > up with a track gauge of 6.5mm, which equated to 1:220. This was over 25%
                        > smaller than N scale which was still in it's infancy.

                        On the business side it's been said in several places they did it because
                        they wanted their "own" scale or system so they could get more money out
                        of it than joining the standards. Just as they've always done with their
                        weird AC HO control systems.

                        Alan
                      • Alan Cox
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                          > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
                          > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
                          > and fertilizers ;>)

                          But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                          particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
                          looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
                          that space.
                        • Kevin Brady
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                            Hi Alan,all,
                            Read 'Prey" by Michael Crichton.

                            That might help or hurt. :-)

                            Best,Kev

                            --
                            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

                          • Larry
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                              Here is a rough translation taken from the Koll's Intro portion of the
                              book on Maerklin Z scale.

                              Please excuse all the errors. I did say rough

                              Quote:

                              From the outset there were toy railways in different sizes. Also the
                              tracks had different mass, so that the locomotives and car manufacturer
                              on the tracks of the other one could not drive. That changed only, after
                              Maerklin had standardized the track widths and most offerers had adapted.

                              Already 1895 offered "l" (45 mm) to Maerklin apart from the then most
                              common track width the larger systems "2" (51 mm) and "3"(72 mm), which
                              were manufactured however in very small numbers of items after
                              vorbestellung and therefore today are extremely rare. The track width
                              "0" (32 mm), likewise already 1895 in the program, could be offered
                              clearly more cheaply. Still smaller courses were offered to 1902 by the
                              Nuernberger company Schoenner: "00" (30 mm) and "000" (23 mm). There
                              were however in addition no switches. 1912 brought then a table course,
                              the "Liliput railway" (23 mm) to Maerklin, which was offered to 1932.
                              Also it did not possess switches, which did not promote its success. The
                              production of smaller courses made problems, because one could make the
                              drive smaller at that time not yet at will.1923 appeared then the first
                              toy course in the track width 16.5 mm, of Bing in Nuernberg manufactured
                              for the Englishman W. J. Bassett Bassett-Lowke. 1925 manufactured the
                              French company JEP their "Mignon trains" with same track width. Only
                              1935, ten years later, came the companies Trix and Maerklin nearly at
                              the same time with its track width 00 (16.5 mm. Yardstick 1:87). Saving
                              in material and thus a small price, as well as space saving, were the
                              motives for the introduction on the market. The toy courses had not
                              formed themselves as table courses angepriesen at that time and yet as
                              model courses. This changed however in the run the time, when one was
                              able to manufacture ever nature-more faithful models.

                              The stationary model railway facility had become now the worthwhile goal
                              of the railway friends, but it caused a very large space requirement,
                              wanted one also only to some extent realistic railway facilities to
                              develop. Also after that 2. World war was not missing it at attempts to
                              make the toy railway smaller further. Thus the "Mignon" railway from
                              1947 to 1950 (track width 10 mm became. Yardstick 1:150) offered,
                              obviously their time too far ahead. 1950 saw many model railway friends
                              in the track width "TT" (12 mm, yardstick 1:120) the chance to carry out
                              a realistic model railway facility. The company Rokal developed within a
                              short time a rich model course program, which however 1971 was stopped.
                              In the GDR the track width "TT" came 1958 on the market and could create
                              itself a large friend circle, which is still very active also today.

                              1959 appeared Trix with unpowered soil runners "Minitrix" on a scale
                              1:180. 1961 came Arnold with the electrical "Arnold Rapido" (9 mm.
                              Yardstick 1:200), which was improved from year to year and then the
                              yardstick 1:160, track width "N" received. 1964 brought also the company
                              Piko a course in track width "N" and Minitrix electric appeared now with
                              track system.

                              Meat man came 1968 first with a truck course and one year later also
                              with tracks into track width "N". In this yardstick now a large railway
                              facility at small place could be realized very well. To today continuous
                              success of the track width "N" appeared fast and led also in Goeppingen,
                              with Maerklin to activities.

                              one began 1962 with the development of a course in track width "N",
                              which was final with production stage two years later. One was not
                              convinced however of an economic success and began with the development
                              of a still smaller model railway. Investigations on the dependence of
                              the manufacturing costs on the yardstick had resulted in that a
                              continuous lowering of the costs with the reduction took place. If one
                              made smaller however too strongly, the costs rose again dramatically.
                              Maerklin selected a yardstick, which lay still reliably in the range of
                              economy: 1:220 (track width 6.5 mm).

                              one cleared first the model course municipality in the magazine Miba for
                              1968 up over the fact that Maerklin had the trace "N" in the drawer, but
                              is evenly not convinced of this track width. That worked something
                              disconcerting, where itself nevertheless straight only meat man had
                              decided to mix together with "N" could not however success in the long
                              run not stop.

                              The considerations assumed with Maerklin

                              1. should be obtained during the introduction of a new track width a
                              maximum space gain. Here the yardstick 1:220 of the track width "Z"
                              offers clear advantages in relation to the yardstick 1:160 of the track
                              width "N".

                              2. It would be more economical to create its own standard to be than an
                              offerer under many with the track width "N".

                              3. The however position with the superlativ "smallest electric train of
                              the world" would offer large advantages in press and advertisement.

                              4. It could not be correct for a market leader with large tradition to
                              attach itself to a trend but one would have to make a trend.

                              5. One would select children as a Kem target group not, but adults.

                              6. The "mini club" should be positioned as gift.

                              7. One the women strengthened to respond, because Mrs. small, nice
                              things to like.

                              Unquote.

                            • dks2855
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 1, 2012
                                And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.

                                A few others:
                                Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.

                                Regards,
                                David

                                > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
                                > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
                                > > and fertilizers ;>)
                                >
                                > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                                > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
                                > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
                                > that space.

                              • Uwe Liermann
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 2, 2012
                                  Hello Larry,

                                  thank you for your translation...

                                  > Please excuse all the errors. I did say rough

                                  that's ok with me, until I came to this line:

                                  > Meat man came 1968 first with a truck course...

                                  "Meat man" means the modeltrain manufacturer "Fleischmann":

                                  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28Unternehmen%29

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischmann_%28model_railroads%29

                                  ...but I have to admit that "Meat man" is the direct translation for the
                                  pure words. I don't know which translation software you used, since I
                                  got the correct result ("Fleischmann" = "Fleischmann") in Google.

                                  An interesting detail for Fleischmann can be found in the German
                                  Wikipedia text. Fleischmann also had a slotcar system from 1967 until
                                  1989, which is stated to be better then the market leader Carrera:

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrera_%28slot_car_brand%29

                                  and that the model quality from Fleischmann slotcars were better then
                                  all other brands, except the Maerklin Sprint system.

                                  GreetingZ

                                  Uwe
                                • mark2playz
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
                                    All,
                                    Thanks for a lot of interesting info. I was hoping for an "interesting" story: a rational fraction of some obsure european scale (like "O" vs. "HO") or a story like David's that rolling stock had to fit in the pocket.

                                    Mark

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dks2855" <david@...> wrote:

                                    > And the last of the floppy discs, the 3-1/2 inch, was designed to fit into a standard shirt pocket.
                                    >
                                    > A few others:
                                    > Barometric pressure in inches, temperature in Fahrenheit degrees, AM and FM broadcast bands, all were totally arbitrary--someone just made a few tick marks on a stick, or used whatever hardware was at hand to start sending and receiving radio transmissions with no regard for the frequency.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > David
                                    >
                                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > We Electro/Mechanical folks have to design around numbers
                                    > > > for solids. (Organics are another matter entirely, just add water
                                    > > > and fertilizers ;>)
                                    > >
                                    > > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                                    > > particular classical piece. T scale model trains come from someone
                                    > > looking at the top of their laptop and thinking I want my trainset to fit
                                    > > that space.

                                  • Rick Saviano
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 4, 2012
                                      Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
                                      switch CDs:

                                      Sony had initially preferred a smaller diameter, but soon after the
                                      beginning of the collaboration started to argue vehemently for a
                                      diameter of 120mm. Sony’s argument was simple and compelling: to
                                      maximize the consumer appear of a switch to the new technology, any
                                      major piece of music needed to fit on a single CD…Beethoven’s Ninth
                                      Symphony was quickly identified as the point of reference — according to
                                      some accounts, it was the favorite piece of Sony vice-president Norio
                                      Ohga’s wife. And thorough research identified the 1951 recording by the
                                      orchestra of the Bayreuther Festspiele under Wilhelm Furtwängler, at
                                      seventy-four minutes, as the slowest performance of the Ninth Symphony
                                      on record. And so, according to the official history, Sony and Philips
                                      top executives agreed in their May 1980 meeting that “a diameter of 12
                                      centimeters was required for this playing time.”

                                      http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/03/what-determined-the-length-of-an-audio-cd/

                                      - Rick Saviano

                                      On 9/4/2012 9:48 AM, mark2playz wrote:
                                      > But not always sane ones. CD capacity came from the length of a
                                      > particular classical piece.
                                    • FT. Dewey
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 5, 2012
                                        "Beethoven's 9th, to be precise; "Mrs. Sony" didn't want to have to
                                        switch CDs:"

                                        Good thing it wasn't Wagner's Ring Cycle !!
                                                                                                                                     DEWEY

                                        _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`