Re: New member

  • trainssd
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2012
      OK, enough on this subject everyone please.

      The first negative response was uncalled for in my opinion, everyone has the right to contribute. We let it sit because we don't want to be "traffic cops".

      Getting in a yelling match counterpunching is probably not helpful either, although I can't blame you (again my personal opinion).

      (moderator hat back on)
      Let's stop with the comments on both sides please, and in the future, let's give everyone some latitude, we're not all hollywood movie producers.

      Regards, Greg

      p.s. there will be no further warnings... posts will just disappear...

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hughes <michael.h100@...> wrote:

      > GUESS ITS EASY TO PICK ON SOMONE WITH MS WHO CANT DEFEND THEMSELF SOME REAL NICE GUYS ON HERE BETTER NOT BEING HERE NOT SORRY GUYS

    • David
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2012
        Hi Michael,

        Looks great. I didn't need to have sound to see more or less what you were doing. You did a good job; if I could do half that well, I'd consider it a major miracle. As the late Lawrence Welk would say, "Wunnerful, wunnerful."

        Oh, and by the way, don't let the naysayers run you off. A lot of them are just jealous, and some are just, well, snobs (have to keep it "sort of" nice on here, anyway, lol). But also keep in mind that with the written word, you can't always tell what the writer was really trying to convey. What looks like sarcasm or a cut-down on paper (or on here) may actually be a back-handed compliment, like when you introduce your new girlfriend/wife to your friends, and they say stuff like "How the heck did a schmuck like you end up with HER?!?!?!" On paper, it looks like an insult, but in reality, they're saying, "Ya done good, sir." For whatever reason, guys are like that.

        Also, some people, like myself, have what I guess you'd call an "interesting" sense of humor. As an example, if I came over to your house and saw your layout, I might say something like "I officially hate you now," or "You make me sick." You'd see the smile on my face, and know that I thought you had done a absolutely famous job on your layout (as you saw me "oooh-ing and ahh-ing, and bubbling over with childlike excitement), and that I was paying you a compliment (I actually said that ("You make me sick") to a guy who was part of a team putting together an awesome O scale layout (about a 2-3 year project) at a local hobby store. He chuckled, and said "We make ourselves sick." I complimented him and his group for the job they were doing (you'd have to see this layout; it has several positions set up where with the push of a button, you can make the trains run for a few seconds; kids go crazy over it (adults too, lol)), and he invited me to "come share in the "misery." He knew I was kidding, and was actually in awe of what they were doing (like I said, you gotta see this thing), but if he had seen this written down, he might have taken offense. Also, a friend of mind has an HO layout of downtown Atlanta that would make a master modeler drool all over him/herself (another "must-see"). His layout makes me want to donate all my train stuff to the nearest dumpster, lol).

        Just shows what you can do with a small space. Welcome aboard, and keep up the good work! And please, do stick around. This hobby is for anybody, from master modeler to master muddler (yours truly :-P).

        Sorry for the soliloquy-length post.

        David P.

        PS: My Z scale layout currently consists of one container with my trains in it, and another container for my track, just like my N scale layout (I've moved three times in five years, and haven't been able to find the time to work on anything, other than an occasional N scale Christmas layout for work. Heck, my ham shack is a bag with my radio and tuner in it, sitting in a cabinet with the rest of my ham stuff). I call it the "Boxed up & Put Up," or the "Ol' Boo & Poo" (just like IUPUI is called "Ooie-Pooie"), lol) Guess I need to get busy, eh? :-)
      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2012
          Well said David. Thanks for the encouragement to Michael and us all. We
          all need to support each other. We are not all Rembrandts of trains, but we
          are all artists.

          I like what Don Avila says when he thinks something is really well done and
          he is impressed. He says....."this so and so is nutz"

          That's Don's way of saying he is saluting the workmanship or person.

          So everyone, keep out of the heat, go grab your paintbrushes and start
          painting.

          Loren