Glues;was: Layout base

  • Kevin Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2012
      Hi Jeff,David,all,
      There are 6 ways to Sunday :-)
      White glue does have it's place in layout construction,however i have
      always preferred matte medium (ballast/trees/scenery) for these reasons:it
      will remain flexible,it has a flat/matte finish.Yes,if you have to remove
      it,it not as simple as water but it can be done.

      Wood/base boards: No matter what I have built I was treat the wood with
      sealant.Why?Wood is usually cut and then dried,there is nothing preventing
      it for re-absorbing moisture in the air.This goes for any wood being used
      in the bench work/frame.

      Best,Kev

      On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Jeff <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Regular Elmer's (and their competitors) use PVA (poly vinyl acetate) based
      > glue. Maybe 20 yrs ago it would not soften (or they did not want to tell
      > you) but for at least that amount of time, for me) it has always dissolved
      > in water. Even the yellow Wood Glue will too.
      >
      > This why you cannot use it in wet environments and must use polymer based
      > glues.
      >

      > Jeff M
      > SF Bay Area Z

      Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service