Re: [Z_Scale] Re: rokuhan bridge update.

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
      Hi Loren,
      Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
      to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
      amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
      "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
      who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
      is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
      along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
      the cross-member frames.

      The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
      refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
      their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
      I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
      I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

      Reynard

      On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

      > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
      > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
      > Loren

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
        Just measured:

        21.5' 1.13" MTL Gunderson's with containers
        20.5' 1.12" Tim's Well cars with containers
        19.5' 1.06" AZL Autorack
        17.5' 0.95" AZL Hi-cube

        Add MTL, Rokohan or Midwest cork+flex @ ~ 3.4' or 0.19""

        Jeff M
        SF Bay Area Z

        Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
        to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
        amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
        "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
        who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
        is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
        along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
        the cross-member frames.

        The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
        refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
        their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
        I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
        I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

        Reynard

        On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

        > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
        > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
        > Loren

      • hasbro
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012

          > Hi Loren,
          > Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
          > to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least.
          > Reynard

          Thank you Reynard.

          When observing Jerry's cross over, I did like the looks of the greater vertical clearance than the minimum. I'm really contemplating a long module to get the added spacing while maintaining no more than about a 1 1/2% grade.

          Then the problem will shift back again to 'how do I transport yet more modules?' Could a Peter Built big rig and 40' trailer be in my future? :o)