Re: [Z_Scale] Re: rokuhan bridge update.

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
      Thanks Mark,

      Jerry from CZM and I were talking about his cross over module and he
      actually has a much higher clearance of about 2 1/2" which makes his grade a
      bit on the high side, but the appearance is more prototypical than having
      the tracks so close vertically.

      If Jerry's module were a foot or so longer, the grade would be very
      acceptable and the eye appeal really is more pleasing.

      Looks like my cross over module may be two 4' joined securely at the middle
      or one long 8'

      Loren

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hi Loren,
        Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
        to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
        amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
        "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
        who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
        is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
        along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
        the cross-member frames.

        The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
        refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
        their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
        I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
        I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

        Reynard

        On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

        > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
        > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
        > Loren

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
          Just measured:

          21.5' 1.13" MTL Gunderson's with containers
          20.5' 1.12" Tim's Well cars with containers
          19.5' 1.06" AZL Autorack
          17.5' 0.95" AZL Hi-cube

          Add MTL, Rokohan or Midwest cork+flex @ ~ 3.4' or 0.19""

          Jeff M
          SF Bay Area Z

          Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
          to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
          amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
          "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
          who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
          is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
          along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
          the cross-member frames.

          The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
          refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
          their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
          I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
          I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

          Reynard

          On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

          > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
          > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
          > Loren

        • hasbro
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012

            > Hi Loren,
            > Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
            > to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least.
            > Reynard

            Thank you Reynard.

            When observing Jerry's cross over, I did like the looks of the greater vertical clearance than the minimum. I'm really contemplating a long module to get the added spacing while maintaining no more than about a 1 1/2% grade.

            Then the problem will shift back again to 'how do I transport yet more modules?' Could a Peter Built big rig and 40' trailer be in my future? :o)