Re: rokuhan bridge update.

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
      Loren,
      Actually, the 1 1/4" is the maximum height of the car + load (Sorry). Add 2 scale feet (.11") clearance and round up to the nearest eighth and you get 1 3/8". I'm not at home so I can't run out to the shop with the micrometer, but I checked all my stock to the NZT clearance gauge and nothing was oversized.
      As for the NMRA, I always have mixed feelings, but companies like Rokuhan are building products to the NMRA standards now. A company looking to enter the Z scale market would no doubt use the NMRA standards. If the standard is inappropriate we should look into changing it so that companies aren't try to build product that won't work.

      Mark

      > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
      > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
      > Loren

    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
        Loren,
        Actually, the 1 1/4" is the maximum height of the car + load (Sorry). Add 2 scale feet (.11") clearance and round up to the nearest eighth and you get 1 3/8". I'm not at home so I can't run out to the shop with the micrometer, but I checked all my stock to the NZT clearance gauge and nothing was oversized.
        As for the NMRA, I always have mixed feelings, but companies like Rokuhan are building products to the NMRA standards now. A company looking to enter the Z scale market would no doubt use the NMRA standards. If the standard is inappropriate we should look into changing it so that companies aren't try to build product that won't work.

        Mark

        > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
        > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
        > Loren

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
          Thanks Mark,

          Jerry from CZM and I were talking about his cross over module and he
          actually has a much higher clearance of about 2 1/2" which makes his grade a
          bit on the high side, but the appearance is more prototypical than having
          the tracks so close vertically.

          If Jerry's module were a foot or so longer, the grade would be very
          acceptable and the eye appeal really is more pleasing.

          Looks like my cross over module may be two 4' joined securely at the middle
          or one long 8'

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
            Hi Loren,
            Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
            to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
            amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
            "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
            who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
            is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
            along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
            the cross-member frames.

            The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
            refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
            their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
            I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
            I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

            Reynard

            On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

            > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
            > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
            > Loren

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
              Just measured:

              21.5' 1.13" MTL Gunderson's with containers
              20.5' 1.12" Tim's Well cars with containers
              19.5' 1.06" AZL Autorack
              17.5' 0.95" AZL Hi-cube

              Add MTL, Rokohan or Midwest cork+flex @ ~ 3.4' or 0.19""

              Jeff M
              SF Bay Area Z

              Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
              to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
              amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
              "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
              who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
              is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
              along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
              the cross-member frames.

              The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
              refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
              their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
              I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
              I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

              Reynard

              On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

              > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
              > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
              > Loren

            • hasbro
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012

                > Hi Loren,
                > Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
                > to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least.
                > Reynard

                Thank you Reynard.

                When observing Jerry's cross over, I did like the looks of the greater vertical clearance than the minimum. I'm really contemplating a long module to get the added spacing while maintaining no more than about a 1 1/2% grade.

                Then the problem will shift back again to 'how do I transport yet more modules?' Could a Peter Built big rig and 40' trailer be in my future? :o)