Re: rokuhan bridge update.

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
      A beautiful model and welcome addition. Is there enough clearance to
      handle double stack containers? If based on prototypical design probably
      so but never assume.
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
        Speaking of clearance.........what is the minimum vertical clearance when
        considering double stack? Is it still the 1 3/8" or should it be a bit
        more?

        After seeing Jerry Craig's crossover module this weekend at the N convention
        I'm wanting to do a cross over module. Matter of fact, so is Robert Ray.
        This type of module sure offers some great scenery possibilities. Only
        possible drawback is the length the module needs to be to keep the grade at
        a minimum. 6' is about the shortest length that is workable.

        Loren

        A beautiful model and welcome addition. Is there enough clearance to
        handle double stack containers? If based on prototypical design probably
        so but never assume.

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
          Loren,
          Interestingly enough, the NMRA has the "modern" clearance at 1 1/4", although I've always used 1 3/8" myself.
          Mark

          > Speaking of clearance.........what is the minimum vertical clearance when
          > considering double stack? Is it still the 1 3/8" or should it be a bit
          > more?
          >
          > After seeing Jerry Craig's crossover module this weekend at the N convention
          > I'm wanting to do a cross over module. Matter of fact, so is Robert Ray.
          > This type of module sure offers some great scenery possibilities. Only
          > possible drawback is the length the module needs to be to keep the grade at
          > a minimum. 6' is about the shortest length that is workable.
          >
          > Loren

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
            Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
            than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
              Loren,
              Actually, the 1 1/4" is the maximum height of the car + load (Sorry). Add 2 scale feet (.11") clearance and round up to the nearest eighth and you get 1 3/8". I'm not at home so I can't run out to the shop with the micrometer, but I checked all my stock to the NZT clearance gauge and nothing was oversized.
              As for the NMRA, I always have mixed feelings, but companies like Rokuhan are building products to the NMRA standards now. A company looking to enter the Z scale market would no doubt use the NMRA standards. If the standard is inappropriate we should look into changing it so that companies aren't try to build product that won't work.

              Mark

              > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
              > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
              > Loren

            • mark2playz
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                Loren,
                Actually, the 1 1/4" is the maximum height of the car + load (Sorry). Add 2 scale feet (.11") clearance and round up to the nearest eighth and you get 1 3/8". I'm not at home so I can't run out to the shop with the micrometer, but I checked all my stock to the NZT clearance gauge and nothing was oversized.
                As for the NMRA, I always have mixed feelings, but companies like Rokuhan are building products to the NMRA standards now. A company looking to enter the Z scale market would no doubt use the NMRA standards. If the standard is inappropriate we should look into changing it so that companies aren't try to build product that won't work.

                Mark

                > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
                > Loren

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                  Thanks Mark,

                  Jerry from CZM and I were talking about his cross over module and he
                  actually has a much higher clearance of about 2 1/2" which makes his grade a
                  bit on the high side, but the appearance is more prototypical than having
                  the tracks so close vertically.

                  If Jerry's module were a foot or so longer, the grade would be very
                  acceptable and the eye appeal really is more pleasing.

                  Looks like my cross over module may be two 4' joined securely at the middle
                  or one long 8'

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                    Hi Loren,
                    Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
                    to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
                    amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
                    "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
                    who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
                    is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
                    along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
                    the cross-member frames.

                    The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
                    refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
                    their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
                    I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
                    I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

                    Reynard

                    On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

                    > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                    > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
                    > Loren

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                      Just measured:

                      21.5' 1.13" MTL Gunderson's with containers
                      20.5' 1.12" Tim's Well cars with containers
                      19.5' 1.06" AZL Autorack
                      17.5' 0.95" AZL Hi-cube

                      Add MTL, Rokohan or Midwest cork+flex @ ~ 3.4' or 0.19""

                      Jeff M
                      SF Bay Area Z

                      Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
                      to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
                      amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
                      "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
                      who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
                      is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
                      along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
                      the cross-member frames.

                      The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
                      refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
                      their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
                      I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
                      I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

                      Reynard

                      On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

                      > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                      > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
                      > Loren

                    • hasbro
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012

                        > Hi Loren,
                        > Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
                        > to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least.
                        > Reynard

                        Thank you Reynard.

                        When observing Jerry's cross over, I did like the looks of the greater vertical clearance than the minimum. I'm really contemplating a long module to get the added spacing while maintaining no more than about a 1 1/2% grade.

                        Then the problem will shift back again to 'how do I transport yet more modules?' Could a Peter Built big rig and 40' trailer be in my future? :o)