rokuhan bridge update.

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012
      http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2012/06/iron-bridge-double.html

      new single lane iron bridge is introduced and first test shots of
      double lane bridge are shown.

      http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2012/06/iron-bridge-double.html

      original double lane bridge video.

      regards Garth
    • John & Sue Bartolotto
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012
        Garth,

        This is excellent! Another reason that Rokuhan is taking the lead in Z
        track.

        John

        On 6/29/12 6:56 AM, "Garth Hamilton" <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

        > http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2012/06/iron-bridge-double.html
        >
        > new single lane iron bridge is introduced and first test shots of
        > double lane bridge are shown.
        >
        > http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2012/06/iron-bridge-double.html
        >
        > original double lane bridge video.
        >
        > regards Garth

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
          A beautiful model and welcome addition. Is there enough clearance to
          handle double stack containers? If based on prototypical design probably
          so but never assume.
        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
            Speaking of clearance.........what is the minimum vertical clearance when
            considering double stack? Is it still the 1 3/8" or should it be a bit
            more?

            After seeing Jerry Craig's crossover module this weekend at the N convention
            I'm wanting to do a cross over module. Matter of fact, so is Robert Ray.
            This type of module sure offers some great scenery possibilities. Only
            possible drawback is the length the module needs to be to keep the grade at
            a minimum. 6' is about the shortest length that is workable.

            Loren

            A beautiful model and welcome addition. Is there enough clearance to
            handle double stack containers? If based on prototypical design probably
            so but never assume.

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
              Loren,
              Interestingly enough, the NMRA has the "modern" clearance at 1 1/4", although I've always used 1 3/8" myself.
              Mark

              > Speaking of clearance.........what is the minimum vertical clearance when
              > considering double stack? Is it still the 1 3/8" or should it be a bit
              > more?
              >
              > After seeing Jerry Craig's crossover module this weekend at the N convention
              > I'm wanting to do a cross over module. Matter of fact, so is Robert Ray.
              > This type of module sure offers some great scenery possibilities. Only
              > possible drawback is the length the module needs to be to keep the grade at
              > a minimum. 6' is about the shortest length that is workable.
              >
              > Loren

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                  Loren,
                  Actually, the 1 1/4" is the maximum height of the car + load (Sorry). Add 2 scale feet (.11") clearance and round up to the nearest eighth and you get 1 3/8". I'm not at home so I can't run out to the shop with the micrometer, but I checked all my stock to the NZT clearance gauge and nothing was oversized.
                  As for the NMRA, I always have mixed feelings, but companies like Rokuhan are building products to the NMRA standards now. A company looking to enter the Z scale market would no doubt use the NMRA standards. If the standard is inappropriate we should look into changing it so that companies aren't try to build product that won't work.

                  Mark

                  > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                  > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
                  > Loren

                • mark2playz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                    Loren,
                    Actually, the 1 1/4" is the maximum height of the car + load (Sorry). Add 2 scale feet (.11") clearance and round up to the nearest eighth and you get 1 3/8". I'm not at home so I can't run out to the shop with the micrometer, but I checked all my stock to the NZT clearance gauge and nothing was oversized.
                    As for the NMRA, I always have mixed feelings, but companies like Rokuhan are building products to the NMRA standards now. A company looking to enter the Z scale market would no doubt use the NMRA standards. If the standard is inappropriate we should look into changing it so that companies aren't try to build product that won't work.

                    Mark

                    > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                    > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
                    > Loren

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                      Thanks Mark,

                      Jerry from CZM and I were talking about his cross over module and he
                      actually has a much higher clearance of about 2 1/2" which makes his grade a
                      bit on the high side, but the appearance is more prototypical than having
                      the tracks so close vertically.

                      If Jerry's module were a foot or so longer, the grade would be very
                      acceptable and the eye appeal really is more pleasing.

                      Looks like my cross over module may be two 4' joined securely at the middle
                      or one long 8'

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                        Hi Loren,
                        Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
                        to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
                        amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
                        "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
                        who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
                        is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
                        along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
                        the cross-member frames.

                        The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
                        refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
                        their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
                        I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
                        I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

                        Reynard

                        On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

                        > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                        > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
                        > Loren

                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                          Just measured:

                          21.5' 1.13" MTL Gunderson's with containers
                          20.5' 1.12" Tim's Well cars with containers
                          19.5' 1.06" AZL Autorack
                          17.5' 0.95" AZL Hi-cube

                          Add MTL, Rokohan or Midwest cork+flex @ ~ 3.4' or 0.19""

                          Jeff M
                          SF Bay Area Z

                          Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
                          to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least. That
                          amounts to about 22' + actual and since our scale is not always
                          "to scale" that would be advisable. The best standard for most US railroads
                          who have converted their bridges and tunnels for double stack service
                          is 20' 2" min. This avoids minor stope sagging and seismic displacements
                          along tunnels and for the truss bridge failures of some components, like
                          the cross-member frames.

                          The US Railroads have spent between 10 and 12 billion dollars
                          refitting all their those areas needing clearance improvements for
                          their own double stack service routes. (My estimate is low since
                          I have only seen a sample listing of those railway lines costs).
                          I'll stick to the little trains but always admire the big ones!

                          Reynard

                          On Jul 1, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

                          > Do you think that is adequate for stack cars or is there anything taller
                          > than that? Should we listen to NMRA?.........I doubt it :o)
                          > Loren

                        • hasbro
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012

                            > Hi Loren,
                            > Mark is correct. For Z scale the clearance between the "top-of-rail"
                            > to any obstructions above should be 1.25" at least.
                            > Reynard

                            Thank you Reynard.

                            When observing Jerry's cross over, I did like the looks of the greater vertical clearance than the minimum. I'm really contemplating a long module to get the added spacing while maintaining no more than about a 1 1/2% grade.

                            Then the problem will shift back again to 'how do I transport yet more modules?' Could a Peter Built big rig and 40' trailer be in my future? :o)