Re: [Z_Scale] Question

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 64 , Jun 21, 2012
      On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 23:17:29 -0000
      "David" <iplayfhorn@...> wrote:

      > I was in my friendly neighborhood big-box home/hardware store the other day (it seems like we have 2-4 within eyesight of each other), and happened to be in the electrical section, around the light switches, dimmers, etc. (if you know where this is going, just humor me for a second :-) ). I was wondering if anybody had ever tried using a light switch and a dimmer switch (push on/off type) as a controller setup for their layout. What I had in mind was the dimmer switch would turn the setup on, and control the speed, while the light switch would control the direction. Would such a setup even be possible?

      If the dimmer is based on a thyristor chopper circuit as is usual then
      it's not going to be much use. You can build a power supply out of a
      simple variable resistor and switch setup but that tends to be very power
      inefficient.

      Alan
    • martin soll
      Message 64 of 64 , Oct 6, 2013
        Thanks to all who responded to my question about insulating rail joiners for DC block wiring using Rokuhan track.

        Several good ideas, not sure yet which one I will use when the time comes.

        Marty in Estacada, OR