anyone have Merten red stags/ reindeer for sale?

  • PFL
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 8, 2012
      have been lurking for a while and have never posted. Coming back to modeling after a hiatus of many years. Reason I am back- my son- who has a creative streak. So we are building a winter wonderland based on his favorite stories and ballets, and we have been searching for some Merten reindeer for the White Witch of Narnia and for Santa, of course. I have tried all the usual outlets- out of stock.
      If any has some lying around, we would be most grateful.
      Cheers,
      Paula
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2012
        Hi Paula,all,
        You might want to search eBay and Preiser purchased
        Merten some time ago,...

        Best,Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2012
          Paula, I have order some white tail deer for Trofuchus. The look pretty
          good. The set consist of a male, female, and bamby, and cost around $15.

          John

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2012
            Trafofuchse would be the first place to go. (Germans dont really know white tailed deer, they did some research and made some)
            For a red stag, what they call Rothirsch, I talked these guys into making one of these doing its mating call. Used to be a pretty standard picture behind a couch, sort of like our pool playing dogs.http://www.klingenhoefer.com/
            Third choice, I am using the smaller Bambies and does from the Noch/Woodland Scenic guys, and tune them up into Z deer.
            Those Merten ones have been backorderd for years and I kind of think Preiser is just selling off old stock and not making anything. Nobody in the hobby shops seem to know how to order them and they have a hard time dealing with Preiser Even though the details are not as good as Preiser, Merten had some very unique figures that are hard to come by now. Z is not what it was 20 years ago, when there were 3 or 4 companies making figures, and now even the Preiser Z figures are not as crisp as they used to be.
          • david.davidksmith
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2012
              This is just a guess, mind you, but my suspicion is that the Merten deer mold is gone. The last few sets I've found had quite a lot of flash, which leads me to suspect the molds are shot. Again, this is just a guess (as an owner of a few deer sets--which are not for sale).

              Incidentally, Preiser quality may be dropping just slightly (remember, molds have a lifetime, and they've also moved their painting from Germany to Mauritius), but curiously Merten quality is improving somewhat; in particular, their painting has improved, even if their molds have not.

              Regards,
              David

              http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

              P.S. I collect N and Z figures (N more than Z). I have every Preiser N set except for one extremely rare discontinued set.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 10, 2012
                Thanks- I have some older Merten sets but have had a hard time finding newer one. I asked Trafofuchs to make some ballerinas and they look great- may ask them to do the deer. What is a winter scene with a reindeer?

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 10, 2012
                  Thanks for the info- interesting to know about the molds. I have been doing a certain amount of repainting of figures to make them fit my son's ideas. The White Witch of Narnia is the most work right now, but I found a figure that coverted into Billy Elliot rather plausibly.

                  But if anyone else has some they are willing to part with, please let me know.

                  by the way, has anyone else noted that Z-scale buildings site (Tammy Oram) has disappeared. Sigh....

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 11, 2012
                    Not to get too far into the weeds, but white tailed deer, elk (Hirsch) and reindeer are extremely different animals. (Think GP7 vs SD40-2) The deer the Germans know are elk, fallow deer, and roe deer. Reindeer are also so very different, so make sure you are asking for the right thing.