Safeways 70 ton ore jimmies update.

  • flyerbait
    Message 1 of 16 , May 18, 2012
      Ok, my ore jimmies arrived today : ) had me worried if they would arrive in time for the exhibition this June, but here they are. I have done 3 today, weighted, and running, nothing as yet has decals, I got some N scale ones in a box somewhere, and will search later. u can see them here on my site.

      http://www.dieselsaurus.com/ZscaleTaconite70ToneOreCar.html

      please note that they are F**king fragile and i pretty much crushed one first go, and damaged a couple of others while trimming them up.

      Some feedback suggestions for the rebuild..

      do a second design minus the dummy couplers, with higher bolsters so that the trucks can be added easily. this version can also have the holes specifically drilled with a draw bar per car so we can make up strings. It would make it so much easier.

      I'm holding off making up the rest until i figure out the draw bar distance and find enough small screws to attach them without killing the cars.

      other than that, fantastic detail, I am very impressed. I ran the three i made around my layout for a solid 5 minutes without any derails.

      Lee
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 16 , May 18, 2012
        > please note that they are F**king fragile and i pretty much crushed one first go, and damaged a couple of others while trimming them up.

        The old trick with plastics is to make the walls thicker but taper them
        out at the top. That looks really thin but isn't. It seems to work nicely
        with FUD too.

        If I was always putting a load in to such a design I'd print two
        bars across the inside of the main body of the hopper part of
        the way up. It doesn't add much to the print cost but they will make it
        far more rigid. Unlike plastics where you usually can't do that with 3D
        print you don't get the shrinkage problem so it won't distort the outer
        wall.

        > I'm holding off making up the rest until i figure out the draw bar distance and find enough small screws to attach them without killing the cars.

        WSF works fine for screws but the Shapeways FUD behaves like most resins
        - it'll snap rather than extend. It's better at 70-80C - in fact if you
        put it in near boiling water you can reshape the stuff in all sorts of
        cool ways.

        In practice I'd thus look at having pins and retaining bits sticking
        out of the model with glue on "caps" to hold stuff in place rather than
        screws. That approach does seem to work as the FUD is never stretched.

        Looks really good.

        Alan
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 16 , May 18, 2012
          Very nice. I got my six a few days ago, but have done nothing with them. You have set a very high bar to beat. How did you get those cast-in couplers off?

          Michael

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "flyerbait" <flyerbait@...> wrote:

          > Ok, my ore jimmies arrived today : ) had me worried if they would arrive in time for the exhibition this June, but here they are. I have done 3 today, weighted, and running, nothing as yet has decals, I got some N scale ones in a box somewhere, and will search later. u can see them here on my site.
          >
          > http://www.dieselsaurus.com/ZscaleTaconite70ToneOreCar.html
          >
          > please note that they are F**king fragile and i pretty much crushed one first go, and damaged a couple of others while trimming them up.
          >
          > Some feedback suggestions for the rebuild..
          >
          > do a second design minus the dummy couplers, with higher bolsters so that the trucks can be added easily. this version can also have the holes specifically drilled with a draw bar per car so we can make up strings. It would make it so much easier.
          >
          > I'm holding off making up the rest until i figure out the draw bar distance and find enough small screws to attach them without killing the cars.
          >
          > other than that, fantastic detail, I am very impressed. I ran the three i made around my layout for a solid 5 minutes without any derails.
          >
          > Lee

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 16 , May 18, 2012
            Fragile? And you want to drawbar them so you can pick up a string without twisting and torquing them apart - literally?

            Jeff M
            SF Bay Area Z

            Message 5 of 16 , May 18, 2012
              both scales look very nice

              Message 6 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                Hey Lee and Gang,

                WOW, nicely done!!!
                You'll have a great set of ore cars.
                Unfortunately you also materialized my fears. No decals, with an N scale car next to the Z scale car, I think at best, N decals on Z cars will look silly, sorry.
                I'm pretty confident most won't like that statement either.
                So the quest for Z scale decals for ore cars has begun.
                Again, Lee they look great!
                Enjoy the day all,

                Dave Mummery

                http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
                http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

                Message 7 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                  Hi Dave,all,
                  Weather them!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

                  Best,Kev

                  On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM, David Mummery <d_mummery@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Lee and Gang,
                  >
                  > WOW, nicely done!!!
                  > You'll have a great set of ore cars.
                  > Unfortunately you also materialized my fears. No decals, with an N scale
                  > car next to the Z scale car, I think at best, N decals on Z cars will look
                  > silly, sorry.
                  > I'm pretty confident most won't like that statement either.
                  > So the quest for Z scale decals for ore cars has begun.
                  > Again, Lee they look great!
                  > Enjoy the day all,
                  >
                  > Dave Mummery
                • flyerbait
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                    heh.. yup.. I don't think mine are gonna be to "prototypical" I found some N scale box car decals, with a little modification.. well.. they dont look half bad, if i could only get em on straight > < anyways give me about a half hour and i will have a pic of them up on the page,.. I like the way they look.. but would sante fe?

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Mummery " <d_mummery@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Lee and Gang,
                    >
                    > WOW, nicely done!!!
                    > You'll have a great set of ore cars.
                    > Unfortunately you also materialized my fears. No decals, with an N scale car next to the Z scale car, I think at best, N decals on Z cars will look silly, sorry.
                    > I'm pretty confident most won't like that statement either.
                    > So the quest for Z scale decals for ore cars has begun.
                    > Again, Lee they look great!
                    > Enjoy the day all,
                    >
                    > Dave Mummery
                    >
                    > http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
                    > http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/
                    >
                    > Sent from my U.S. Cellular BlackBerry® smartphone

                  • flyerbait
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                      Hehe thats totally going to happen, but i only had them for about 12 hours so far.. o.k i know sante fe did brown ones, but i like these black jimmies with the herald, matches my caboose ; ) Im looking at the 3 of them ripping around the track at the moment fighting the urge to start painting up the rest of them ... I got some NYC badge decals standing by... did they paint theirs that box car green at all?

                      Oh also, Im doing loops with them using my new RC-02 Rokuhan controller with its 8 AAA batteries and a geep, I found its great with the Bo Bo locos, but really doesnt like the marklin mikado very much when it shorts out on a couple of the switches, the auto short circuit protection kicks in. I'm gonna head down to the local electronics store this week sometime and see if I can find me a 10v 800mA power supply, I suspect I may have to order in. still 29$ and shipping is a great price.

                      Lee

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Dave,all,
                      > Weather them!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
                      >
                      > Best,Kev
                      >

                      > On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM, David Mummery <d_mummery@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hey Lee and Gang,
                      > >
                      > > WOW, nicely done!!!
                      > > You'll have a great set of ore cars.
                      > > Unfortunately you also materialized my fears. No decals, with an N scale
                      > > car next to the Z scale car, I think at best, N decals on Z cars will look
                      > > silly, sorry.
                      > > I'm pretty confident most won't like that statement either.
                      > > So the quest for Z scale decals for ore cars has begun.
                      > > Again, Lee they look great!
                      > > Enjoy the day all,
                      > >
                      > > Dave Mummery

                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                        You won't find a 10v supply. Way too unique a voltage. And 8 batteries = 12v. Do *NOT* get a 'wall-wart' heavy square cube style ! They are unregulated, poorly filtered and only deliver near the voltage *at-the-rated-current*. About 1.4x higher when no-load.
                        Get a 'regulated' one. If it says 'switching' or is quite small (more like narrow) and light weight, like what you get with your mobile phone and modern electronics. Then you get your 12v always. Surplus stores have them for $5 everywhere. Try MPJA (www.mpja.com/plug-supplies/products/37/). Try 19091 or 19146.

                        Jeff M
                        SF Bay Area Z

                        Hehe thats totally going to happen, but i only had them for about 12 hours so far.. o.k i know sante fe did brown ones, but i like these black jimmies with the herald, matches my caboose ; ) Im looking at the 3 of them ripping around the track at the moment fighting the urge to start painting up the rest of them ... I got some NYC badge decals standing by... did they paint theirs that box car green at all?

                        Oh also, Im doing loops with them using my new RC-02 Rokuhan controller with its 8 AAA batteries and a geep, I found its great with the Bo Bo locos, but really doesnt like the marklin mikado very much when it shorts out on a couple of the switches, the auto short circuit protection kicks in. I'm gonna head down to the local electronics store this week sometime and see if I can find me a 10v 800mA power supply, I suspect I may have to order in. still 29$ and shipping is a great price.

                        Lee

                        http://www.dieselsaurus.com/ZscaleTaconite70ToneOreCar.html

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Dave,all,
                        > Weather them!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
                        >
                        > Best,Kev
                        >

                        > On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM, David Mummery <d_mummery@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hey Lee and Gang,
                        > >
                        > > WOW, nicely done!!!
                        > > You'll have a great set of ore cars.
                        > > Unfortunately you also materialized my fears. No decals, with an N scale
                        > > car next to the Z scale car, I think at best, N decals on Z cars will look
                        > > silly, sorry.
                        > > I'm pretty confident most won't like that statement either.
                        > > So the quest for Z scale decals for ore cars has begun.
                        > > Again, Lee they look great!
                        > > Enjoy the day all,
                        > >
                        > > Dave Mummery

                      • StonyS
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 18, 2012
                          I saw that you gave honorable mention to my Rail King Rail Car Mover at the bottom of your page.. I'm glad you like it. Did you manage to keep the wheels free so that they'll turn? (GRIN)

                          There's no real place for me to document this: On the side of the engine housing for the Rail King is a "clip" that can be cut off and used to hold the street wheels in the up or down position... the street wheels are on swing arms that will actually change positions.

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "flyerbait" <flyerbait@...> wrote:

                          > Ok, my ore jimmies arrived today : ) had me worried if they would arrive in time for the exhibition this June, but here they are. I have done 3 today, weighted, and running, nothing as yet has decals, I got some N scale ones in a box somewhere, and will search later. u can see them here on my site.
                          >
                          > http://www.dieselsaurus.com/ZscaleTaconite70ToneOreCar.html
                          >
                          > Lee

                        • nscalenarrowgauge
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 19, 2012
                            There is a hole in the body that is correctly sized and placed for MT 905 body-mount couplers. Trucks are included, and I highly recommend using Fox Valley metal wheelsets due to the added weight and reduced rolling resistance. Due to the size of the MT coupler the cars would be about 20 feet apart, and to me that destroys the visual effect of a string of short cars. But to each their own. I will upload a version of the cars without the cast coupler. The mounting hole could also be used for a styrene drawbar.
                            The acrylic is certainly more brittle than the injection molded delrin that we are used to, and some care needs to be made while handling, particularly when inserting the truck pin. I put the truck pin on the tip of an x-acto knife and wiggle it in until the truck is secure but not tight. This is a design flaw copied from Micro-Trains Nn3 cars, and I hope to correct it in the near future.

                            Roy Stevens
                            http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rtrains
                          • Loren Snyder
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 19, 2012
                              Yeah, I was thinking that some really well used cars would be pretty beat up
                              and not likely to show much lettering anyway.

                              Weather em good.

                              Dirt if beautiful.

                              Loren

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 19, 2012
                                Can we call these by their right names?

                                Jenny, or Jennies is the correct term.

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopper_car - third paragraph

                                Jimmy is slang for prying something apart, a condom or what it goes on.

                                http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/jimmy

                                PLEASE! ;-)

                                Greg
                              • Michael
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 19, 2012
                                  And while we're at it, we might remember that the name of the company that makes these Jennies is Shapeways, not Safeway. While the grocer might appreciate the free advertising, in all fairness it should be the producer that gets the credit.

                                  Michael

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "trainssd" <greg@...> wrote:

                                  > Can we call these by their right names?
                                  >
                                  > Jenny, or Jennies is the correct term.
                                  >
                                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopper_car - third paragraph
                                  >
                                  > Jimmy is slang for prying something apart, a condom or what it goes on.
                                  >
                                  > http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/jimmy
                                  >
                                  > PLEASE! ;-)
                                  >
                                  > Greg

                                • flyerbait
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 19, 2012
                                    Hahahahah, I am totally to blame for that, sorry, I dive into my excuse pack of playing cards and throw down my "had a blond moment" card > <

                                    As my friend always used to say, "advertising doesn't affect me!"

                                    I still think they are a cool model, and yes, on further inspection there is a super tiny little guide hole for screwing in a MT coupler box. I am still thinking of using brass linkages (more added weight) in groups of 3 or 6, with every 3rd or 6th one has a steel pin that just drops into the connection (like a marklin tender). I am betting it would be possible to make trains of 9-21 cars a possibility without killing them.

                                    StoneyS' Rail king tractor really does drop it's wheels (which turn as well) into another position! now.. where do i squeeze in the drive motor and DCC chip? : ) thats a seriously great little model.
                                    will take some more close up pics when i got a moment and post them on my site (along with the SHAPEWAYS correction, mybad). I had always heard the little cars being talked about as "jimmies" but it was likely they guys were saying jennies and i heard jimmies.

                                    Stoney, post your shop link again so i can copy it to my site, thanks buddy : )

                                    Lee