Model Railroad News

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2001
      The last issue (November 2001, Vol 7, #11) of Model Railroad News features a
      very nice article on pages 30, 31. The article reviews Märklin's American
      freight starter set and the Casey Jones set. It is a detailed article
      highlighting the advantages of both sets.

      Also, I just picked up the just released Märklin 2001/2002 catalog. Though no
      surprises, it is still a great resource!

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
    • webffm@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2001
        How'd the review turn out, generally positive? We don't get that mag
        around here.
      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2001
          The review was quite positive. It went into quite a bit of detail discussing
          the contents of the starter set. Twelve photos accompany the article. The
          review is honest, pointing out that the boxcars are long and skinny with 2
          brake wheels. Surprisingly, it missed the fact the trucks are pushed back.
          The article was definitely angled for assembly of the set on a table, not
          necessarily with consideration for use in layout. For instance,
          recommendation for putting the turnout in the front of the loop to avoid
          running wires under the track.

          The review of the Casey Jones was also quite positive. "Those accustomed to Z
          scale's finicky operation will get a fine surprise with this model" states
          the article. This is related to the 4-6-0 in the set with the heavier shell.

          The final paragraph is a good summary of the article. It states: "Z scale is
          not often thought of as a modeler's scale, as operating scale, or even a
          scale for train sets. Thought not necessarily kid oriented, Märklin's
          American Starter Set may be just the ticket for those railroad lovers that
          want something different. For those folks wanting a train running under the
          Christmas tree, but the tree is on top of the entertainment center, then this
          set may be just the ticket."

          Model Railroad News has always been a Z friendly publication. This is quite
          welcome and they have done a good job in the past reporting on new Z scale
          items and the occasional review.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
        • ddechamp71
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2002
            As some model-railroading magazines (I won't say the name but you
            all folks know which I mean, with the latest posts) always give the
            feeling to consider Z scale as something not very serious, I would
            like to congratulate the guys of Model Railroad News: I have bought
            this magazine only twice for 1 year, and each time I found something
            about Z: this time, with the march 2002 issue, there is a very
            interresting review of the AZL Alco PA1....
            Dominique from Paris, France
          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
              To the complainers of MRR you might want to subscribe to Model
              Railroad News. Month after month they have had a lot of nice coverage
              on Z. Again this month. The fact they are located in Oregon might
              help. This month a little extra was throen in about a video "Tiny
              Life Forms Found on Z-Scale Layout; Experts Baffled" is better than
              most <BUT> you might also look at the date of this issue April - like
              in April 1. Cute though!!! ...don
            • saundebn@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
                Note, if you go to their website (http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/), they have a link at the bottom of the home page that offers a free 3 issue trial subscription to potential new subscribers with USA mail addresses. Canadian mail addresses can get one single free issue. Apparently no other international offers are available.

                I just signed up for the free trial.

                Brad

              • Fred Ladd
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
                  Groupers,
                  Just got MRN and on the cover is the New MTL PS-2 covered hopper and a
                  good artical write up. Last month AZL's F59PHI was on the cover with an
                  extensive review of the passenger trains. Z certainly is getting
                  coverage in this magazine and I would encourage all zer's to check it
                  out and express appreciation for their recognition of Z.
                  The magazine covers all scales from G all the way up to Z.
                  Best,
                  Fred
                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
                    Fred,
                    I second the motion. When I saw the cover and then read the article, I
                    realized that indeed, Z is getting some great coverage. It is only a matter
                    of time until the smart folks wake up and change over to Z scale.....well,
                    for the sake of you G scalers out there, that is ok too, (I own some).

                    I feel like those of us who are currently enjoying the varied bennefits of Z
                    scale are like those folks who got in on the ground floor of a new stock
                    that is about to take off through the roof. In this case we won't get rich,
                    but our enjoyment will have started much sooner than the fellow's who
                    discovers Z scale the day he retires.

                    > Just got MRN and on the cover is the New MTL PS-2 covered hopper and a
                    > good artical write up. Last month AZL's F59PHI was on the cover with an
                    > extensive review of the passenger trains. Z certainly is getting
                    > coverage in this magazine and I would encourage all zer's to check it
                    > out and express appreciation for their recognition of Z.
                    > The magazine covers all scales from G all the way up to Z.
                    > Best,
                    > Fred
                  • mofwcaboose
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2 10:36 AM
                      The December 2006 issue of the subscription-only Model Railroad News
                      has lots to please Z scalers:

                      On page 12, the announcement for new Micro-Trains cars.

                      On pages 27 - 29, an extensive write-up for the Noch "Winterzauber
                      Advent" layout.

                      On pages 32 - 33, a write-up of Maerklin's Z scale starter train set.

                      And best of all, the Winterzauber is on the cover - full page, with
                      nothing else except copy.

                      Granted, it's all European stuff...but it's Z!

                      John C. La Rue, Jr.
                      Bonita Springs, FL