Re: [Z_Scale] RE: THE BIG NEWS AT DENVER...

  • Kevin Brady
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2012
      Hi all,
      There was a Z-scale modeler in England,I recall years ago who did
      exactly that.

      Dr D

      the point where things like wheel flanges cannot be in scale because
      > it would never run reliably.

    • Lee Barry
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2012
        Malcolm,

         I was in N for a goodly number of years and when I came to Z, I disposed of all my N stuff but a little I still have all of my Kato track.

        I'd love to have been able to go out there for 2 reasons: #1) to enjoy meeting a lot of the people I have talked to and dealt with in the scale and #2) to catch one of the Rockies home games to see if I could speak to Michael Cuddyer, right fielder of the Rockies coming over this year from the Twins. I knew his father when I lived in Norfolk,Va., my hometown, he , my brother, and I worked for The A&P grocery store chain and sometimes we would go the "Kings Head Inn", a pub near Old Dominion University on Hampton Blvd. But alas I had no funds so I had to remain home, but did get to see Michael Cuddyer hit a Grand Slam Homerun, a feat that has not been accomplished many times im the MLB. This was the 6th of his career.

        Maybe the Z scale community should look at having a convention in Atlanta next year. You know I think there are a lot of us here EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. In Atlanta my wife and I could stay with one of my 2 sisters who live in Athens,Ga. a 60 mile drive to Atlanta

        Lee Barry CEO LZPMRR Bristol,Va.
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2012
          There's nothing to prevent scaling down wheels and rails precisely to 1:220 (long ago I did it for N scale). For it to function, however, the trackwork must be nothing less than absolutely perfect, and the cars weighted well above standard practice. Sprung trucks and drivers are also a necessity. By this time, costs would be astronomical--over a hundred dollars per wheelset; a few hundred for one truck; perhaps a thousand for one car, and the track--I cannot even imagine it. In the end, though, for someone with bottomless pockets, completely accurate wheels and track are indeed feasible. Practical, however, they are not.

          Regards,
          David

          http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > There was a Z-scale modeler in England,I recall years ago who did
          > exactly that.
          >
          > Dr D
          >

          > the point where things like wheel flanges cannot be in scale because
          > > it would never run reliably.

        • de Champeaux
          Message 4 of 11 , May 9, 2012
            Hi folks. NZT's' announcement is really great news. I do concur, it'll be great improvement over non-MTL couplers, such as AZL's Autolatch. However, as most of my rolling stock is MTL's Magnematic equipped, I can say that switching operations are already a reality on my layout... What I'm hoping with NZT's news? Non-MTL cars (AZL, FT, IM, etc), RTR with "switching-compatible" couplers, such as were FR and AZL's items prior to weird MTL's policy regarding coupler licencing.

            Dom

            From: Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...>
            Sender: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:57:27 -0500 (CDT)
            To: <Z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [Z_Scale] RE: THE BIG NEWS AT DENVER...
            Folks,

            Cannot agree more. The moment I saw the flyer, the words "Game changer"
            flashed through my mind. If anyone can do it, it's David K. Smith.

            Since most Z scale rolling stock now has integral truck+coupler combos
            instead of the more prototypical body mount couplers, it will be a
            necessity for NZT to partner with AZL or some other truck+coupler producer
            to make OEM rolling stock and convert old rolling stock from AZL,
            Intermountain and Full Throttle. Who is going to step up to that
            challenge? If NZT does come out with a truck+coupler combo as well as a
            standalone coupler, I foresee a massive conversion job.

            The prospect of practical switching in Z with AZL, Full Throttle and
            Intermountain rolling stock is incredible. Most model RRers in the other
            scales do not see Z as a credible model RRing venue because very few Z
            scalers do operating. This could be the game changer. Not that we need
            validation from all those other scales, but we might gain some converts.

            CheerZ,
            -- Malcolm Z
          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 11 , May 9, 2012
              HI David,
              I worked in Nn3 for a while and all in all, it's pretty close to actual "scale parameters" modeling...
              (turnouts hand-built with code 40 or code 30 rail, etc) but even then, there are always fudge
              factors to up with put. Hand building track and turnouts is very time consuming but it's fun
              once you've collimated all the adjustments that make the layout operational.

              I agree: To do similar "fine-scale" modeling in Z scale would require the resources
              of a Swiss watchmaker and a layout built and operating in an Intel "clean room".
              Even now, accumulations of dust and dander adversely affect my "off-the-shelf"
              Z scale operations. And I can't imagine building code 20 track and turnouts!

              Your new design for a Z scale coupler looks very promising and I wish you the
              greatest success in manufacturing this elegant solution to our coupling & de-coupling woes.

              Viva the innovator!

              Reynard Wellman
              http://www.micronart.com