Re: [z_scale] Ztrack - latest issue

  • Helmut Paule
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
      From: D. A. Karp <z@...>
      To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 6:28 PM
      Subject: [z_scale] Ztrack - latest issue

      Hi Z Fans,
      Like allways, Florida takes the longest to receive the Ztrack, via snake
      mail,
      so I am usually late with my praising for the incredible pictures and
      writing.
      I underline David's congrat's, to make a long story short -:)

      "Z" Greetings Helmut

    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
        Unfortunately having my place of residence in a 'foreign' country, I
        will have to wait until next week for my copy of Ztrack. You guys
        just make my wait all the more excruciating!

        Keep the encouragement coming, though, we all need it ;-)

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan

        > Like allways, Florida takes the longest to receive the Ztrack, via
        snake
        > mail,
        > so I am usually late with my praising for the incredible pictures
        and
        > writing.
        > I underline David's congrat's, to make a long story short -:)
        >
        > "Z" Greetings Helmut
        >

        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > My congratulations go out to Rob Kluz for getting another
        excellent issue
        > > of Ztrack magazine into the hands of its subscribers.
        Naturally, I'm
        > > pleased with the way my review of the new PA-1 turned out,
        but my
        > > proverbial hat goes off to Rob, Jeffrey MacHan, Will Wright,
        and everyone
        > > else involved. I found John K. Bartolotto's "Near Z Scale"
        article to be
        > > especially valuable.
        > >
        > > -David
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
          Hello Helmut,
          You've got it better than me, it's Nov. 2 and I just got mine. I think that
          people whose last names start with "W" are on the bottom of the mail pile at
          the post office or something.

          What's with those funny looking locomotives from Railex? Are they Z scale or
          not? Do they run? Do they cost more than 50 bucks? I noticed Reynauld's
          isn't bothering to advertise them on the back page. Early last year there
          was a Railex Z scale old time Spanish loco advertised and I ordered one and
          never heard from them again. Extremely limited quantities, how 'bout no
          quantities?

          Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
            Maybe California is now a "foreign" country also. I haven't gotten
            mine yet either. BUT i did get my Boxcab Diesel from Harald. It is
            by far the best runner I have, or have seen. Pulls 4 PZ hoppers up
            an 8% grade at the same voltage it takes to start on the level Just
            a crack on a Marklin Power Supply. (my meters broke)
            Ed Scullin
            --- jmac_han@... wrote:
            > Unfortunately having my place of residence in a 'foreign' country,
            > will have to wait until next week for my copy of Ztrack. You guys
            > just make my wait all the more excruciating!
            >
            > Keep the encouragement coming, though, we all need it ;-)
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Jeffrey MacHan

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
              Reynard,

              Yes, all the items from Railex shown in the last issue of Ztrack are Z scale.
              Obtaining them is another issue. I have seen some Railex items in person and
              can honestly say that it is some amazing work. As for price, expect high,
              very high if you can actually find them.

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com
            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                Rob,

                Really? You've actually seen one? Was it running? This is something I'm very
                interested in because I want to someday build some small boiler locos for Z
                scale and I would like to see some good examples of working ones.

                You know that a lot this tiny Z scale stuff is like building Swiss watches.
                I have no doubt they're expensive, not so much for the materials but as for
                the labor involved. I also know that a lot bugs have to be squashed before
                one goes about placing them onto the rails of the model railroading world.
                Many a manufacturer has had one devil of a time overcoming a bad word of
                mouth reputation for some of their ill performing equipment, specifically
                during the 1970's period of N scale equipment.

                If these Railex locos can run even fairly well, it would be worth
                investigating.
                Tell me about how they perform if you know.

                Thanks again and by-the-way, your latest issue is very professional, well
                organized and shows how Z scale is starting to mature like a fine wine.

                Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

                Reynard,

                Yes, all the items from Railex shown in the last issue of Ztrack are Z
                scale.
                Obtaining them is another issue. I have seen some Railex items in person and
                can honestly say that it is some amazing work. As for price, expect high,
                very high if you can actually find them.

                Rob Kluz

                Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016
                Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                www.ztrack.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • D. A. Karp
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                  Reynard,

                  I have a few Railex items - see http://www.zscale.org/reviews/railex.html

                  I got all of them on eBay over the past couple of years. Those tiny
                  locomotives in the latest sets aren't powered; Railex puts Faulhaber motors
                  in "ghostwagons," usually immediately behind the engine, that push the
                  trains. The Adler was, I believe, the first such set, and all of the train
                  sets shown in the latest issue of Ztrack appear to work similarly. It's
                  simply amazing to see it tootle around the track; it doesn't run as
                  smoothly as, say, an AZL dash-9, but it's not bad considering the size. I
                  can post some pictures of the Adler and its ghostwagon if anyone is interested.

                  Also, Discount Train recently added this page:
                  http://www.discount-train.com/trains/railex/railex_z_1.html

                  Beware, however, that Railex is nearly impossible to obtain; I've heard of
                  orders placed at dealers that were unfulfilled a year later.

                  -David

                  http://www.zscale.org/
                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
                    Reynard,

                    Yes, as stated, the Railex locomotives aren't self propelled. A motorized
                    pusher car move the locomotive around the track. In the past, Märklin and
                    even Micro-Trains motors were used to propel the pusher car. This is a good
                    solution for small locomotives. Since the Railex locomotive tend to be heavy
                    (brass) you don't have to worry about the pusher driving them off the track.

                    I was fortunate enough to be able to see the items listed in the last issue
                    of Ztrack in person. The "Wuppertaler Schwebebahn" system is incredible. The
                    huge coaling tower is amazingly impressive. The historic train series is
                    awesome, though I was a little disappointed in the US "Wild West" set. This
                    set seemed a bit stylized.

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.