RE: [z_scale] Improving Locomotive Traction

  • Greg Elmassian
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
      Well, if it's not moved in 4 months, seems to be
      somewhat stable, or reeeelll slow moving.. sounds safe so far!

      The lead putty was nice and heavy... I'll look in the
      hobby shop again... very close to the solid itself..

      the lead shot works well... also you can dump a little
      in a box car or gon, etc. if you want to experiment..
      you can get them less than 1mm in diameter...

      Greg

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
        List
        Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
        one)
        Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
        golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
        John

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
          Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
          which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

          Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
          tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
          Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

          Operations - Locomotives  Tungsten powder to add weight to
          locos  Kronenberger, Bill  Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
          and can be used to add weight to locos.  It is available from
          Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/%c2%a0

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey MacHan

          --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
          > List
          > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
          which
          > one)
          > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
          powder in
          > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
          > John
        • John Jabour
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
            Sorry
            They both start with T's

            Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
            which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

            Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
            tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
            Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

            Operations - Locomotives Tungsten powder to add weight to
            locos Kronenberger, Bill Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
            and can be used to add weight to locos. It is available from
            Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan

            --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
            > List
            > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
            which
            > one)
            > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
            powder in
            > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
            > John

          • Helmut Paule
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
              John, I think its Tungsten from the Golf-shops ?
              "Z" Greetings
              Helmut

              > List
              > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
              > one)
              > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
              > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
              > John

            • Franz Kerschbaum
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                The german company:

                http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/

                put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.

                Cheers
                Franz
              • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                  Franz
                  i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                  and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                  German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                • Bahls@t-online.de
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001

                  • Bahls@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                      td25scorpio@... schrieb:
                      > Franz
                      > i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                      > and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                      > German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                      Don't be disappointed, please!

                      Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                      recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                      reason!

                      Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                      received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will inform you
                      and we deliver to the United States, too.

                      If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to the
                      list); my adress is:

                      Bahls@...

                      I hope we can solve all the problems.

                      Cheers,

                      Michael
                    • Greg Elmassian
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                        There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                        Lokomotiven" under products...
                        it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                        with valve gear...

                        Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                        gondola... wow..

                        Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                        Greg

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                          I think there is a holiday over there... many of our sales offices in europe
                          said they would be closed for a week..

                          Greg

                          i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                          and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                          German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                          --- In z_scale@y..., "Franz Kerschbaum" <kerschbaum@a...> wrote:
                          > The german company:
                          >
                          > http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/
                          >
                          > put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                          > Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Franz

                        • D. A. Karp
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                            >There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                            >Lokomotiven" under products...

                            There's another picture of the Schmidt Mallet here:

                            >it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                            >with valve gear...

                            I don't think it moves, but it looks nice just the same.

                            >Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                            I've purchased directly from Michael Bahls, who works with Mr. Schmidt (and
                            who also posts frequently to this list), and the service to the USA was
                            great. Some pictures of what I purchased:
                            http://www.zscale.org/reviews/bahls.html

                            -David

                            http://www.zscale.org/
                          • D. A. Karp
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                              Michael,

                              Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                              Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                              as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                              engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?

                              Thanks,

                              -David

                              At 02:42 PM 11/3/2001 +0100, you wrote:
                              >Don't be disappointed, please!
                              >
                              >Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                              >recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                              >reason!
                              >
                              >Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                              >received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will
                              >inform you
                              >and we deliver to the United States, too.
                              >
                              >If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to
                              >the
                              >list); my adress is:
                              >
                              >Bahls@...
                              >
                              >I hope we can solve all the problems.
                              >
                              >Cheers,
                              >
                              >Michael

                              http://www.zscale.org/
                            • Greg Elmassian
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                gear moves!!!

                                Greg

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                  Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                  > There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                                  > Lokomotiven" under products...
                                  > it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                                  > with valve gear...
                                  >
                                  > Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                                  > gondola... wow..
                                  >
                                  > Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?
                                  >
                                  > Greg

                                  Greg,

                                  of course we have American customers. I should tell you that the valve gear does
                                  not move. Whilst it would be feasable for me to build it like that, the first
                                  touch by anybody would make the whole work in vain.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Michael
                                • Bahls@t-online.de
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                    D. A. Karp schrieb:
                                    > Michael,
                                    >
                                    > Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                                    > Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                                    > as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                                    > engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > -David

                                    David, at first thanks for the nice PR! ;-)

                                    The smoke generators are principally built in by Schmidt, so the price does
                                    include the conversion. This is indeed a "conversion", as the boiler and the
                                    chassis and the lighting have to be modified to get the generator in. As well, I
                                    should add, as this is an itemn which produces heat, one should not let the loco
                                    run for longer times on full speed without liquid, for this might shorten the
                                    lifespan of the generator ( as with a light bulb).

                                    (not) "funny": the BR 89 conversion is the most costly as it takes the most time
                                    and will leave the loco with added lighting.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Michael
                                  • Bahls@t-online.de
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                      Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                      > I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                      > gear moves!!!
                                      >
                                      > Greg

                                      Greg,

                                      if you are "crazy enough" to pay extra for moving driving rods, I will be crazy
                                      enough to persuade my boss to accept your special wish, and to build it. It
                                      would be the rod from the cylinder to the second axle( as in the Märklin BR 89),
                                      and the rest of the valve gear will still be in place...

                                      Cheers,

                                      Michael
                                    • Greg Elmassian
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 7, 2001
                                        I'll wait until all the gear can move... is that a good
                                        challenge?

                                        Greg