Re: Improving Locomotive Traction

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
      David, Greg and company,

      I too have used the lead putty with great success in the Railbus
      shell and inside the TEE electric locomotive shell. There was
      noticeable improvement in pulling power and running over
      turnout frogs. The only minor and temporary problem I ran into
      was a short circuit in the Railbus due to an overenthusiastic (i.e.
      overabundant) application of lead putty. I repositioned the
      offending putty with my finger and all was well.

      I still have quite a lot left for future projects. It comes in a
      package of 2 - 3 or 4 little cylinders (don't remember how many
      but probably 2!). If I manage to stumble across it when next I
      rummage through my supplies, I'll let you know who the maker
      is.

      In the meantime, I suggest that interested parties might be able
      to find it in the Walthers catalog. ;-)

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey

      SNIP

      > >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby
      shops that
      > >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in
      my N scale
      > >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...
      >
      > Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will
      be the
      > guinea pig again...
      >
      > >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
      > >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last
      you a lifetime
      > >for cheap!
      >
      > Great! I'll add it to the page...
      >
      > -David
    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
        Well, if it's not moved in 4 months, seems to be
        somewhat stable, or reeeelll slow moving.. sounds safe so far!

        The lead putty was nice and heavy... I'll look in the
        hobby shop again... very close to the solid itself..

        the lead shot works well... also you can dump a little
        in a box car or gon, etc. if you want to experiment..
        you can get them less than 1mm in diameter...

        Greg

        >Have you looked at the engine with the silly putty in it
        >recently?

        The Silly Putty was inserted four months ago. The photo was taken this
        morning.

        >The silly putty I have here at home will visibly flatten out overnight,

        What's true for a large mass isn't necessarily true for a small amount
        pressed into a tight space. Try it yourself; if you're not comfortable
        with a locomotive, try a boxcar...

        >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby shops that
        >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in my N scale
        >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...

        Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will be the
        guinea pig again...

        >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
        >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last you a lifetime
        >for cheap!

        Great! I'll add it to the page...

        -David
      • John Jabour
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
          List
          Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
          one)
          Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
          golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
          John

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
            Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
            which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

            Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
            tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
            Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

            Operations - Locomotives  Tungsten powder to add weight to
            locos  Kronenberger, Bill  Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
            and can be used to add weight to locos.  It is available from
            Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/%c2%a0

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan

            --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
            > List
            > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
            which
            > one)
            > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
            powder in
            > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
            > John
          • John Jabour
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
              Sorry
              They both start with T's

              Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
              which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

              Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
              tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
              Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

              Operations - Locomotives Tungsten powder to add weight to
              locos Kronenberger, Bill Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
              and can be used to add weight to locos. It is available from
              Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/

              Cheers,
              Jeffrey MacHan

              --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
              > List
              > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
              which
              > one)
              > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
              powder in
              > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
              > John

            • Helmut Paule
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                John, I think its Tungsten from the Golf-shops ?
                "Z" Greetings
                Helmut

                > List
                > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
                > one)
                > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
                > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
                > John

              • Franz Kerschbaum
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                  The german company:

                  http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/

                  put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                  Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.

                  Cheers
                  Franz
                • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                    Franz
                    i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                    and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                    German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                  • Bahls@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001

                    • Bahls@t-online.de
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                        td25scorpio@... schrieb:
                        > Franz
                        > i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                        > and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                        > German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                        Don't be disappointed, please!

                        Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                        recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                        reason!

                        Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                        received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will inform you
                        and we deliver to the United States, too.

                        If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to the
                        list); my adress is:

                        Bahls@...

                        I hope we can solve all the problems.

                        Cheers,

                        Michael
                      • Greg Elmassian
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                          There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                          Lokomotiven" under products...
                          it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                          with valve gear...

                          Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                          gondola... wow..

                          Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                          Greg

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                            I think there is a holiday over there... many of our sales offices in europe
                            said they would be closed for a week..

                            Greg

                            i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                            and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                            German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                            --- In z_scale@y..., "Franz Kerschbaum" <kerschbaum@a...> wrote:
                            > The german company:
                            >
                            > http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/
                            >
                            > put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                            > Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            > Franz

                          • D. A. Karp
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                              >There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                              >Lokomotiven" under products...

                              There's another picture of the Schmidt Mallet here:

                              >it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                              >with valve gear...

                              I don't think it moves, but it looks nice just the same.

                              >Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                              I've purchased directly from Michael Bahls, who works with Mr. Schmidt (and
                              who also posts frequently to this list), and the service to the USA was
                              great. Some pictures of what I purchased:
                              http://www.zscale.org/reviews/bahls.html

                              -David

                              http://www.zscale.org/
                            • D. A. Karp
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                Michael,

                                Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                                Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                                as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                                engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?

                                Thanks,

                                -David

                                At 02:42 PM 11/3/2001 +0100, you wrote:
                                >Don't be disappointed, please!
                                >
                                >Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                                >recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                                >reason!
                                >
                                >Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                                >received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will
                                >inform you
                                >and we deliver to the United States, too.
                                >
                                >If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to
                                >the
                                >list); my adress is:
                                >
                                >Bahls@...
                                >
                                >I hope we can solve all the problems.
                                >
                                >Cheers,
                                >
                                >Michael

                                http://www.zscale.org/
                              • Greg Elmassian
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                  I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                  gear moves!!!

                                  Greg

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                    Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                    > There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                                    > Lokomotiven" under products...
                                    > it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                                    > with valve gear...
                                    >
                                    > Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                                    > gondola... wow..
                                    >
                                    > Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?
                                    >
                                    > Greg

                                    Greg,

                                    of course we have American customers. I should tell you that the valve gear does
                                    not move. Whilst it would be feasable for me to build it like that, the first
                                    touch by anybody would make the whole work in vain.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Michael
                                  • Bahls@t-online.de
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                      D. A. Karp schrieb:
                                      > Michael,
                                      >
                                      > Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                                      > Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                                      > as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                                      > engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > -David

                                      David, at first thanks for the nice PR! ;-)

                                      The smoke generators are principally built in by Schmidt, so the price does
                                      include the conversion. This is indeed a "conversion", as the boiler and the
                                      chassis and the lighting have to be modified to get the generator in. As well, I
                                      should add, as this is an itemn which produces heat, one should not let the loco
                                      run for longer times on full speed without liquid, for this might shorten the
                                      lifespan of the generator ( as with a light bulb).

                                      (not) "funny": the BR 89 conversion is the most costly as it takes the most time
                                      and will leave the loco with added lighting.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Michael
                                    • Bahls@t-online.de
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                        Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                        > I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                        > gear moves!!!
                                        >
                                        > Greg

                                        Greg,

                                        if you are "crazy enough" to pay extra for moving driving rods, I will be crazy
                                        enough to persuade my boss to accept your special wish, and to build it. It
                                        would be the rod from the cylinder to the second axle( as in the Märklin BR 89),
                                        and the rest of the valve gear will still be in place...

                                        Cheers,

                                        Michael
                                      • Greg Elmassian
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 7, 2001
                                          I'll wait until all the gear can move... is that a good
                                          challenge?

                                          Greg