RE: [z_scale] Improving Locomotive Traction

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
      Greg,

      >Have you looked at the engine with the silly putty in it
      >recently?

      The Silly Putty was inserted four months ago. The photo was taken this
      morning.

      >The silly putty I have here at home will visibly flatten out overnight,

      What's true for a large mass isn't necessarily true for a small amount
      pressed into a tight space. Try it yourself; if you're not comfortable
      with a locomotive, try a boxcar...

      >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby shops that
      >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in my N scale
      >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...

      Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will be the
      guinea pig again...

      >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
      >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last you a lifetime
      >for cheap!

      Great! I'll add it to the page...

      -David

      http://www.zscale.org/
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
        David, Greg and company,

        I too have used the lead putty with great success in the Railbus
        shell and inside the TEE electric locomotive shell. There was
        noticeable improvement in pulling power and running over
        turnout frogs. The only minor and temporary problem I ran into
        was a short circuit in the Railbus due to an overenthusiastic (i.e.
        overabundant) application of lead putty. I repositioned the
        offending putty with my finger and all was well.

        I still have quite a lot left for future projects. It comes in a
        package of 2 - 3 or 4 little cylinders (don't remember how many
        but probably 2!). If I manage to stumble across it when next I
        rummage through my supplies, I'll let you know who the maker
        is.

        In the meantime, I suggest that interested parties might be able
        to find it in the Walthers catalog. ;-)

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        SNIP

        > >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby
        shops that
        > >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in
        my N scale
        > >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...
        >
        > Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will
        be the
        > guinea pig again...
        >
        > >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
        > >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last
        you a lifetime
        > >for cheap!
        >
        > Great! I'll add it to the page...
        >
        > -David
      • Greg Elmassian
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
          Well, if it's not moved in 4 months, seems to be
          somewhat stable, or reeeelll slow moving.. sounds safe so far!

          The lead putty was nice and heavy... I'll look in the
          hobby shop again... very close to the solid itself..

          the lead shot works well... also you can dump a little
          in a box car or gon, etc. if you want to experiment..
          you can get them less than 1mm in diameter...

          Greg

          >Have you looked at the engine with the silly putty in it
          >recently?

          The Silly Putty was inserted four months ago. The photo was taken this
          morning.

          >The silly putty I have here at home will visibly flatten out overnight,

          What's true for a large mass isn't necessarily true for a small amount
          pressed into a tight space. Try it yourself; if you're not comfortable
          with a locomotive, try a boxcar...

          >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby shops that
          >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in my N scale
          >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...

          Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will be the
          guinea pig again...

          >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
          >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last you a lifetime
          >for cheap!

          Great! I'll add it to the page...

          -David
        • John Jabour
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
            List
            Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
            one)
            Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
            golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
            John

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
              Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
              which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

              Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
              tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
              Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

              Operations - Locomotives  Tungsten powder to add weight to
              locos  Kronenberger, Bill  Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
              and can be used to add weight to locos.  It is available from
              Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/%c2%a0

              Cheers,
              Jeffrey MacHan

              --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
              > List
              > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
              which
              > one)
              > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
              powder in
              > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
              > John
            • John Jabour
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                Sorry
                They both start with T's

                Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
                which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

                Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
                tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
                Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

                Operations - Locomotives Tungsten powder to add weight to
                locos Kronenberger, Bill Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
                and can be used to add weight to locos. It is available from
                Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/

                Cheers,
                Jeffrey MacHan

                --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
                > List
                > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
                which
                > one)
                > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
                powder in
                > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
                > John

              • Helmut Paule
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                  John, I think its Tungsten from the Golf-shops ?
                  "Z" Greetings
                  Helmut

                  > List
                  > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
                  > one)
                  > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
                  > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
                  > John

                • Franz Kerschbaum
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                    The german company:

                    http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/

                    put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                    Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.

                    Cheers
                    Franz
                  • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                      Franz
                      i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                      and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                      German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                    • Bahls@t-online.de
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001

                      • Bahls@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                          td25scorpio@... schrieb:
                          > Franz
                          > i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                          > and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                          > German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                          Don't be disappointed, please!

                          Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                          recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                          reason!

                          Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                          received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will inform you
                          and we deliver to the United States, too.

                          If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to the
                          list); my adress is:

                          Bahls@...

                          I hope we can solve all the problems.

                          Cheers,

                          Michael
                        • Greg Elmassian
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                            There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                            Lokomotiven" under products...
                            it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                            with valve gear...

                            Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                            gondola... wow..

                            Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                            Greg

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                              I think there is a holiday over there... many of our sales offices in europe
                              said they would be closed for a week..

                              Greg

                              i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                              and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                              German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                              --- In z_scale@y..., "Franz Kerschbaum" <kerschbaum@a...> wrote:
                              > The german company:
                              >
                              > http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/
                              >
                              > put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                              > Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              > Franz

                            • D. A. Karp
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                >There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                                >Lokomotiven" under products...

                                There's another picture of the Schmidt Mallet here:

                                >it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                                >with valve gear...

                                I don't think it moves, but it looks nice just the same.

                                >Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                                I've purchased directly from Michael Bahls, who works with Mr. Schmidt (and
                                who also posts frequently to this list), and the service to the USA was
                                great. Some pictures of what I purchased:
                                http://www.zscale.org/reviews/bahls.html

                                -David

                                http://www.zscale.org/
                              • D. A. Karp
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                  Michael,

                                  Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                                  Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                                  as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                                  engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?

                                  Thanks,

                                  -David

                                  At 02:42 PM 11/3/2001 +0100, you wrote:
                                  >Don't be disappointed, please!
                                  >
                                  >Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                                  >recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                                  >reason!
                                  >
                                  >Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                                  >received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will
                                  >inform you
                                  >and we deliver to the United States, too.
                                  >
                                  >If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to
                                  >the
                                  >list); my adress is:
                                  >
                                  >Bahls@...
                                  >
                                  >I hope we can solve all the problems.
                                  >
                                  >Cheers,
                                  >
                                  >Michael

                                  http://www.zscale.org/
                                • Greg Elmassian
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                    I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                    gear moves!!!

                                    Greg

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                      Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                      > There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                                      > Lokomotiven" under products...
                                      > it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                                      > with valve gear...
                                      >
                                      > Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                                      > gondola... wow..
                                      >
                                      > Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?
                                      >
                                      > Greg

                                      Greg,

                                      of course we have American customers. I should tell you that the valve gear does
                                      not move. Whilst it would be feasable for me to build it like that, the first
                                      touch by anybody would make the whole work in vain.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Michael
                                    • Bahls@t-online.de
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                        D. A. Karp schrieb:
                                        > Michael,
                                        >
                                        > Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                                        > Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                                        > as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                                        > engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks,
                                        >
                                        > -David

                                        David, at first thanks for the nice PR! ;-)

                                        The smoke generators are principally built in by Schmidt, so the price does
                                        include the conversion. This is indeed a "conversion", as the boiler and the
                                        chassis and the lighting have to be modified to get the generator in. As well, I
                                        should add, as this is an itemn which produces heat, one should not let the loco
                                        run for longer times on full speed without liquid, for this might shorten the
                                        lifespan of the generator ( as with a light bulb).

                                        (not) "funny": the BR 89 conversion is the most costly as it takes the most time
                                        and will leave the loco with added lighting.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Michael
                                      • Bahls@t-online.de
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                          Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                          > I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                          > gear moves!!!
                                          >
                                          > Greg

                                          Greg,

                                          if you are "crazy enough" to pay extra for moving driving rods, I will be crazy
                                          enough to persuade my boss to accept your special wish, and to build it. It
                                          would be the rod from the cylinder to the second axle( as in the Märklin BR 89),
                                          and the rest of the valve gear will still be in place...

                                          Cheers,

                                          Michael
                                        • Greg Elmassian
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 7, 2001
                                            I'll wait until all the gear can move... is that a good
                                            challenge?

                                            Greg