Re: [z_scale] Ztrack - latest issue

  • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
      Ditto.

      Will
      --- "D. A. Karp" <z@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > My congratulations go out to Rob Kluz for getting
      > another excellent issue
      > of Ztrack magazine into the hands of its
      > subscribers. Naturally, I'm
      > pleased with the way my review of the new PA-1
      > turned out, but my
      > proverbial hat goes off to Rob, Jeffrey MacHan, Will
      > Wright, and everyone
      > else involved. I found John K. Bartolotto's "Near Z
      > Scale" article to be
      > especially valuable.
      >
      > -David
      > http://www.zscale.org/

      =====
      WILLIAM BROCK

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • Helmut Paule
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
        Like allways, Florida takes the longest to receive the Ztrack, via snake
        mail,
        so I am usually late with my praising for the incredible pictures and
        writing.
        I underline David's congrat's, to make a long story short -:)

        "Z" Greetings Helmut

      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
          Unfortunately having my place of residence in a 'foreign' country, I
          will have to wait until next week for my copy of Ztrack. You guys
          just make my wait all the more excruciating!

          Keep the encouragement coming, though, we all need it ;-)

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey MacHan

          > Like allways, Florida takes the longest to receive the Ztrack, via
          snake
          > mail,
          > so I am usually late with my praising for the incredible pictures
          and
          > writing.
          > I underline David's congrat's, to make a long story short -:)
          >
          > "Z" Greetings Helmut
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > My congratulations go out to Rob Kluz for getting another
          excellent issue
          > > of Ztrack magazine into the hands of its subscribers.
          Naturally, I'm
          > > pleased with the way my review of the new PA-1 turned out,
          but my
          > > proverbial hat goes off to Rob, Jeffrey MacHan, Will Wright,
          and everyone
          > > else involved. I found John K. Bartolotto's "Near Z Scale"
          article to be
          > > especially valuable.
          > >
          > > -David
        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
            Hello Helmut,
            You've got it better than me, it's Nov. 2 and I just got mine. I think that
            people whose last names start with "W" are on the bottom of the mail pile at
            the post office or something.

            What's with those funny looking locomotives from Railex? Are they Z scale or
            not? Do they run? Do they cost more than 50 bucks? I noticed Reynauld's
            isn't bothering to advertise them on the back page. Early last year there
            was a Railex Z scale old time Spanish loco advertised and I ordered one and
            never heard from them again. Extremely limited quantities, how 'bout no
            quantities?

            Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
              Maybe California is now a "foreign" country also. I haven't gotten
              mine yet either. BUT i did get my Boxcab Diesel from Harald. It is
              by far the best runner I have, or have seen. Pulls 4 PZ hoppers up
              an 8% grade at the same voltage it takes to start on the level Just
              a crack on a Marklin Power Supply. (my meters broke)
              Ed Scullin
              --- jmac_han@... wrote:
              > Unfortunately having my place of residence in a 'foreign' country,
              > will have to wait until next week for my copy of Ztrack. You guys
              > just make my wait all the more excruciating!
              >
              > Keep the encouragement coming, though, we all need it ;-)
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jeffrey MacHan

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                Reynard,

                Yes, all the items from Railex shown in the last issue of Ztrack are Z scale.
                Obtaining them is another issue. I have seen some Railex items in person and
                can honestly say that it is some amazing work. As for price, expect high,
                very high if you can actually find them.

                Rob Kluz

                Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016
                Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                www.ztrack.com
              • Reynard Wellman
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                  Rob,

                  Really? You've actually seen one? Was it running? This is something I'm very
                  interested in because I want to someday build some small boiler locos for Z
                  scale and I would like to see some good examples of working ones.

                  You know that a lot this tiny Z scale stuff is like building Swiss watches.
                  I have no doubt they're expensive, not so much for the materials but as for
                  the labor involved. I also know that a lot bugs have to be squashed before
                  one goes about placing them onto the rails of the model railroading world.
                  Many a manufacturer has had one devil of a time overcoming a bad word of
                  mouth reputation for some of their ill performing equipment, specifically
                  during the 1970's period of N scale equipment.

                  If these Railex locos can run even fairly well, it would be worth
                  investigating.
                  Tell me about how they perform if you know.

                  Thanks again and by-the-way, your latest issue is very professional, well
                  organized and shows how Z scale is starting to mature like a fine wine.

                  Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

                  Reynard,

                  Yes, all the items from Railex shown in the last issue of Ztrack are Z
                  scale.
                  Obtaining them is another issue. I have seen some Railex items in person and
                  can honestly say that it is some amazing work. As for price, expect high,
                  very high if you can actually find them.

                  Rob Kluz

                  Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                  www.ztrack.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • D. A. Karp
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                    Reynard,

                    I have a few Railex items - see http://www.zscale.org/reviews/railex.html

                    I got all of them on eBay over the past couple of years. Those tiny
                    locomotives in the latest sets aren't powered; Railex puts Faulhaber motors
                    in "ghostwagons," usually immediately behind the engine, that push the
                    trains. The Adler was, I believe, the first such set, and all of the train
                    sets shown in the latest issue of Ztrack appear to work similarly. It's
                    simply amazing to see it tootle around the track; it doesn't run as
                    smoothly as, say, an AZL dash-9, but it's not bad considering the size. I
                    can post some pictures of the Adler and its ghostwagon if anyone is interested.

                    Also, Discount Train recently added this page:
                    http://www.discount-train.com/trains/railex/railex_z_1.html

                    Beware, however, that Railex is nearly impossible to obtain; I've heard of
                    orders placed at dealers that were unfulfilled a year later.

                    -David

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
                      Reynard,

                      Yes, as stated, the Railex locomotives aren't self propelled. A motorized
                      pusher car move the locomotive around the track. In the past, Märklin and
                      even Micro-Trains motors were used to propel the pusher car. This is a good
                      solution for small locomotives. Since the Railex locomotive tend to be heavy
                      (brass) you don't have to worry about the pusher driving them off the track.

                      I was fortunate enough to be able to see the items listed in the last issue
                      of Ztrack in person. The "Wuppertaler Schwebebahn" system is incredible. The
                      huge coaling tower is amazingly impressive. The historic train series is
                      awesome, though I was a little disappointed in the US "Wild West" set. This
                      set seemed a bit stylized.

                      Rob Kluz

                      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.