Improving Locomotive Traction

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi all,

      My "Improving Locomotive Traction" article, which has shown up as a "coming
      soon" attraction on my site for some time, is now ready:
      http://www.zscale.org/articles/traction.html

      Comments are welcome!

      -David

      http://www.zscale.org/
    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
        David....

        Have you ever made a little ball of Silly Putty (a mixture of boron power
        and silicon oil),
        and left it sitting on a table? It will slowly flatten out...

        Have you ever put silly putty in a loco and seen what happens after a day or
        so?

        I cannot believe that it stays put, unless it is freezing at your layout...

        Please comment on actual experience... I saw the picture of the loco
        shell...

        Greg

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
          Greg,

          Thanks for writing - you make a good point. It's true that Silly Putty is
          technically a liquid, and will deform to fit the shape of its container
          (then again, so is glass). However, I put the Silly Putty in my Marklin
          8846 (the one in the photo) about four months ago, and have been running it
          that way ever since. It has required no adjustment, most likely because I
          didn't use that much of it, and what I did use was pressed firmly against
          the inside of the shell. Perhaps the adhesive of the SP is strong enough
          to hold it in place; the heat doesn't seem to have had an effect (although
          the plastic shell doesn't conduct much heat).

          The weight gain in this instance turned out to be a little less than 1/10
          of an ounce, which I know doesn't sound like much. But when you consider
          the weight of the entire locomotive is about 0.85 ounces, we're talking
          about a 10% increase.

          I don't know if Silly Putty will work in all situations, but considering
          how easy it was, I think it's a good alternative. I'm looking forward to
          any suggestions or additions any of you have about the solutions I've
          included on my site!

          -David

          At 06:24 PM 11/1/2001 -0800, you wrote:
          >David....
          >
          >Have you ever made a little ball of Silly Putty (a mixture of boron power
          >and silicon oil),
          >and left it sitting on a table? It will slowly flatten out...
          >
          >Have you ever put silly putty in a loco and seen what happens after a day or
          >so?
          >
          >I cannot believe that it stays put, unless it is freezing at your layout...
          >
          >Please comment on actual experience... I saw the picture of the loco
          >shell...
          >
          >Greg

          http://www.zscale.org/
        • Greg Elmassian
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
            Wild... I am familiar with the fact that glass is also
            a really thick liquid at room temperature... just look
            at windows in 50 year old buildings, the glass is thicker
            on the bottom than the top, if you remove a pane... but
            we are not talking about glass...

            Have you looked at the engine with the silly putty in it
            recently? just curious... if the picture is 4 months old, a
            recent picture could be used as a comparasion..

            The silly putty I have here at home will visibly flatten out overnight,
            it takes a while, but it spreads out flat eventually... that's what scares
            me, because if you have ever gotten the stuff mixed in to a mechanism, it
            takes a really stong solvent to get it out! Trust me, I have done it!

            Maybe a thinner coat in a loco moves more slowly, but I think I
            will let you be the guinea pig!

            Let us know how it looks in another 4 months!

            Regards

            Greg

            p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby shops that
            does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in my N scale
            hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...

            another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
            works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last you a lifetime
            for cheap!

            Thanks for writing - you make a good point. It's true that Silly Putty is
            technically a liquid, and will deform to fit the shape of its container
            (then again, so is glass). However, I put the Silly Putty in my Marklin
            8846 (the one in the photo) about four months ago, and have been running it
            that way ever since. It has required no adjustment, most likely because I
            didn't use that much of it, and what I did use was pressed firmly against
            the inside of the shell. Perhaps the adhesive of the SP is strong enough
            to hold it in place; the heat doesn't seem to have had an effect (although
            the plastic shell doesn't conduct much heat).

            The weight gain in this instance turned out to be a little less than 1/10
            of an ounce, which I know doesn't sound like much. But when you consider
            the weight of the entire locomotive is about 0.85 ounces, we're talking
            about a 10% increase.

            I don't know if Silly Putty will work in all situations, but considering
            how easy it was, I think it's a good alternative. I'm looking forward to
            any suggestions or additions any of you have about the solutions I've
            included on my site!

            -David

            At 06:24 PM 11/1/2001 -0800, you wrote:
            >David....
            >
            >Have you ever made a little ball of Silly Putty (a mixture of boron power
            >and silicon oil),
            >and left it sitting on a table? It will slowly flatten out...
            >
            >Have you ever put silly putty in a loco and seen what happens after a day
            or
            >so?
            >
            >I cannot believe that it stays put, unless it is freezing at your layout...
            >
            >Please comment on actual experience... I saw the picture of the loco
            >shell...
            >
            >Greg

          • D. A. Karp
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
              Greg,

              >Have you looked at the engine with the silly putty in it
              >recently?

              The Silly Putty was inserted four months ago. The photo was taken this
              morning.

              >The silly putty I have here at home will visibly flatten out overnight,

              What's true for a large mass isn't necessarily true for a small amount
              pressed into a tight space. Try it yourself; if you're not comfortable
              with a locomotive, try a boxcar...

              >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby shops that
              >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in my N scale
              >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...

              Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will be the
              guinea pig again...

              >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
              >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last you a lifetime
              >for cheap!

              Great! I'll add it to the page...

              -David

              http://www.zscale.org/
            • jmac_han@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
                David, Greg and company,

                I too have used the lead putty with great success in the Railbus
                shell and inside the TEE electric locomotive shell. There was
                noticeable improvement in pulling power and running over
                turnout frogs. The only minor and temporary problem I ran into
                was a short circuit in the Railbus due to an overenthusiastic (i.e.
                overabundant) application of lead putty. I repositioned the
                offending putty with my finger and all was well.

                I still have quite a lot left for future projects. It comes in a
                package of 2 - 3 or 4 little cylinders (don't remember how many
                but probably 2!). If I manage to stumble across it when next I
                rummage through my supplies, I'll let you know who the maker
                is.

                In the meantime, I suggest that interested parties might be able
                to find it in the Walthers catalog. ;-)

                Cheers,
                Jeffrey

                SNIP

                > >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby
                shops that
                > >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in
                my N scale
                > >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...
                >
                > Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will
                be the
                > guinea pig again...
                >
                > >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
                > >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last
                you a lifetime
                > >for cheap!
                >
                > Great! I'll add it to the page...
                >
                > -David
              • Greg Elmassian
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
                  Well, if it's not moved in 4 months, seems to be
                  somewhat stable, or reeeelll slow moving.. sounds safe so far!

                  The lead putty was nice and heavy... I'll look in the
                  hobby shop again... very close to the solid itself..

                  the lead shot works well... also you can dump a little
                  in a box car or gon, etc. if you want to experiment..
                  you can get them less than 1mm in diameter...

                  Greg

                  >Have you looked at the engine with the silly putty in it
                  >recently?

                  The Silly Putty was inserted four months ago. The photo was taken this
                  morning.

                  >The silly putty I have here at home will visibly flatten out overnight,

                  What's true for a large mass isn't necessarily true for a small amount
                  pressed into a tight space. Try it yourself; if you're not comfortable
                  with a locomotive, try a boxcar...

                  >p.s. I have found a deformable lead "putty" in some hobby shops that
                  >does a good job and is not conductive.. and after 10 years in my N scale
                  >hasn't moved... I will look to see if I can find the vendor...

                  Is it heavy? If you can provide a name or stock number, I will be the
                  guinea pig again...

                  >another trick is small lead shot with a bit of glue mixed in... it
                  >works great, and a bag from the local ammo shop will last you a lifetime
                  >for cheap!

                  Great! I'll add it to the page...

                  -David
                • John Jabour
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                    List
                    Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
                    one)
                    Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
                    golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
                    John

                  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                      Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
                      which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

                      Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
                      tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
                      Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

                      Operations - Locomotives  Tungsten powder to add weight to
                      locos  Kronenberger, Bill  Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
                      and can be used to add weight to locos.  It is available from
                      Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/%c2%a0

                      Cheers,
                      Jeffrey MacHan

                      --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
                      > List
                      > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
                      which
                      > one)
                      > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
                      powder in
                      > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
                      > John
                    • John Jabour
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                        Sorry
                        They both start with T's

                        Sorry John, you must have meant tungsten rather than titanium
                        which is reknown for its strenght and lightness.

                        Bill Kronenberger gave a masterful tip concerning using
                        tungsten powder available from Golfsmith. Check the Z Tips of Z
                        Trade database on this list. Here is Bill's tip:

                        Operations - Locomotives Tungsten powder to add weight to
                        locos Kronenberger, Bill Tungsten powder is heavier than lead
                        and can be used to add weight to locos. It is available from
                        Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/

                        Cheers,
                        Jeffrey MacHan

                        --- In z_scale@y..., John Jabour <jjabour@o...> wrote:
                        > List
                        > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember
                        which
                        > one)
                        > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a
                        powder in
                        > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
                        > John

                      • Helmut Paule
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                          John, I think its Tungsten from the Golf-shops ?
                          "Z" Greetings
                          Helmut

                          > List
                          > Just a reminder (I saw this on some list - don't remember which
                          > one)
                          > Titanium is much heavier than lead and is available as a powder in
                          > golf shops. I assume you would just glue it in.
                          > John

                        • Franz Kerschbaum
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                            The german company:

                            http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/

                            put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                            Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.

                            Cheers
                            Franz
                          • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                              Franz
                              i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                              and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                              German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                            • Bahls@t-online.de
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001

                              • Bahls@t-online.de
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                  td25scorpio@... schrieb:
                                  > Franz
                                  > i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                                  > and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                                  > German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                                  Don't be disappointed, please!

                                  Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                                  recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                                  reason!

                                  Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                                  received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will inform you
                                  and we deliver to the United States, too.

                                  If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to the
                                  list); my adress is:

                                  Bahls@...

                                  I hope we can solve all the problems.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Michael
                                • Greg Elmassian
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                    There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                                    Lokomotiven" under products...
                                    it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                                    with valve gear...

                                    Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                                    gondola... wow..

                                    Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                                    Greg

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                      I think there is a holiday over there... many of our sales offices in europe
                                      said they would be closed for a week..

                                      Greg

                                      i emailed them over a week ago about smoke units AND railex items,
                                      and they havent emailed me back yet, also mailed them again in
                                      German, but no reply im dissapointed to say the least.

                                      --- In z_scale@y..., "Franz Kerschbaum" <kerschbaum@a...> wrote:
                                      > The german company:
                                      >
                                      > http://www.schmidt-spurzpartner.de/
                                      >
                                      > put rubber tires on your locos for not to much money.
                                      > Moreover they have smoke units for some Märklin z-locos.
                                      >
                                      > Cheers
                                      > Franz

                                    • D. A. Karp
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                        >There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                                        >Lokomotiven" under products...

                                        There's another picture of the Schmidt Mallet here:

                                        >it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                                        >with valve gear...

                                        I don't think it moves, but it looks nice just the same.

                                        >Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?

                                        I've purchased directly from Michael Bahls, who works with Mr. Schmidt (and
                                        who also posts frequently to this list), and the service to the USA was
                                        great. Some pictures of what I purchased:
                                        http://www.zscale.org/reviews/bahls.html

                                        -David

                                        http://www.zscale.org/
                                      • D. A. Karp
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                          Michael,

                                          Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                                          Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                                          as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                                          engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?

                                          Thanks,

                                          -David

                                          At 02:42 PM 11/3/2001 +0100, you wrote:
                                          >Don't be disappointed, please!
                                          >
                                          >Mr. Schmidt himself is sorry that he never learned the english language, and
                                          >recently, they have changed some computer installations. May be that's the
                                          >reason!
                                          >
                                          >Usually, Mr. Schmidt gives me the emails to translate, and so far I have not
                                          >received an email from your side. Of course we will help you, we will
                                          >inform you
                                          >and we deliver to the United States, too.
                                          >
                                          >If the email problem persists, just feel free to email me directly (NOT to
                                          >the
                                          >list); my adress is:
                                          >
                                          >Bahls@...
                                          >
                                          >I hope we can solve all the problems.
                                          >
                                          >Cheers,
                                          >
                                          >Michael

                                          http://www.zscale.org/
                                        • Greg Elmassian
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 3, 2001
                                            I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                            gear moves!!!

                                            Greg

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                              Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                              > There is a very cool looking 0-4-4-0 mallet there under "Schmidt
                                              > Lokomotiven" under products...
                                              > it actually has valve gear! I think I need one! I have never seen a z loco
                                              > with valve gear...
                                              >
                                              > Also on the "Schmidt Wagen" page, there is a long, american-looking open
                                              > gondola... wow..
                                              >
                                              > Anyone ever buy from them? Do they ship to US?
                                              >
                                              > Greg

                                              Greg,

                                              of course we have American customers. I should tell you that the valve gear does
                                              not move. Whilst it would be feasable for me to build it like that, the first
                                              touch by anybody would make the whole work in vain.

                                              Cheers,

                                              Michael
                                            • Bahls@t-online.de
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                                D. A. Karp schrieb:
                                                > Michael,
                                                >
                                                > Just a quick question about the Rauchgenerator (steam generator) on Mr.
                                                > Schmidt's page. I've been looking for something like this for some time,
                                                > as I always loved the steam generators in some of my Marklin HO
                                                > engines. Is this a kit, or is does the price include installation?
                                                >
                                                > Thanks,
                                                >
                                                > -David

                                                David, at first thanks for the nice PR! ;-)

                                                The smoke generators are principally built in by Schmidt, so the price does
                                                include the conversion. This is indeed a "conversion", as the boiler and the
                                                chassis and the lighting have to be modified to get the generator in. As well, I
                                                should add, as this is an itemn which produces heat, one should not let the loco
                                                run for longer times on full speed without liquid, for this might shorten the
                                                lifespan of the generator ( as with a light bulb).

                                                (not) "funny": the BR 89 conversion is the most costly as it takes the most time
                                                and will leave the loco with added lighting.

                                                Cheers,

                                                Michael
                                              • Bahls@t-online.de
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 6, 2001
                                                  Greg Elmassian schrieb:
                                                  > I wouldn't mind pushing it, as all of that pretty valve
                                                  > gear moves!!!
                                                  >
                                                  > Greg

                                                  Greg,

                                                  if you are "crazy enough" to pay extra for moving driving rods, I will be crazy
                                                  enough to persuade my boss to accept your special wish, and to build it. It
                                                  would be the rod from the cylinder to the second axle( as in the Märklin BR 89),
                                                  and the rest of the valve gear will still be in place...

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Michael
                                                • Greg Elmassian
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 7, 2001
                                                    I'll wait until all the gear can move... is that a good
                                                    challenge?

                                                    Greg