Re: [Z_Scale] Helix

  • David Mummery
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2012
      Hey Eric & Gang,

      With out question, Ashlin, they are beautiful and idiot proof! That was not directed at you but right back to myself.

      Dave

      Dave Mummery

      http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
      http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

      From: proverbs30789 <proverbs30789@...>
      Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:51:59
      To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Helix

      Fellow Z Scalers,

      My layout requires (or may) a use of a Helix or 2. Has anyone used one on a Z scale layout? I know there are to companies that manufactuer Z scale helix(es): ashlintrains.com & Noch. Does anyone have experience with either of those premade helix or has anyone built their own and may still have bluebrints or something they could share? Thanks.

      Eric
    • Paul Murphy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2012
        Hi, I live in Salt lake city and have met the owner of ashlintrains at shows. I can not remember his name, but he has Z layout he brings to shows and it has one of his helix. Although I have not used his helix they look top notch. I have bought other Z stuff from him and I highly recommend him.
        Paul In
        Utah

        Sent from my iPad

        On Mar 31, 2012, at 3:51 PM, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@...> wrote:

        > Fellow Z Scalers,
        >
        > My layout requires (or may) a use of a Helix or 2. Has anyone used one on a Z scale layout? I know there are to companies that manufactuer Z scale helix(es): ashlintrains.com & Noch. Does anyone have experience with either of those premade helix or has anyone built their own and may still have bluebrints or something they could share? Thanks.
        >
        > Eric
      • nscalenarrowgauge
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
          I concur, although I believe the layout Ashlin shows has two helixes in it. Because I have a string, a pen, and a reciprocating saw I never looked at his items too closely. There are a couple approaches to helixes you can take. The standard stacked helix will burn through a lot of wood and you end up with at least one, usually two joints per loop that you have to deal with. The other approach is the spiral helix. The problem with that design is that the place where you need the most vertical separation (the top at the inner-most loop) is the place where you have the least room for it. The advantage is easy access and easier build.
          BTW, the first test-print of 70 ton ore jennies has been ordered.

          Roy

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Paul Murphy <faceter37@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I live in Salt lake city and have met the owner of ashlintrains at shows. I can not remember his name, but he has Z layout he brings to shows and it has one of his helix. Although I have not used his helix they look top notch. I have bought other Z stuff from him and I highly recommend him.
          > Paul In
          > Utah
          >
          > Sent from my iPad
          >
          > On Mar 31, 2012, at 3:51 PM, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Fellow Z Scalers,
          > >
          > > My layout requires (or may) a use of a Helix or 2. Has anyone used one on a Z scale layout? I know there are to companies that manufactuer Z scale helix(es): ashlintrains.com & Noch. Does anyone have experience with either of those premade helix or has anyone built their own and may still have bluebrints or something they could share? Thanks.
          > >
          > > Eric

        • afazzara
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14
            Has anyone used a helix on their set? Maybe hidden in s tunnel?

            Anthony
          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14
              I have.  2% grade using foam riser.  Requires a "tunnel" under each loop <<OR>> the radius keeps changing which is no problem.  Give me your email and I'll send some photos with descriptions.  With lots of scenery the results are quite good.

              ...don

              On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 6:52 AM, afazzara@... [z_scale] <z_scale@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Has anyone used a helix on their set? Maybe hidden in s tunnel?

              Anthony

            • thomas cipelle