Re: [z_scale] z museum

  • Daniel Baechtold
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi Z-gang,

      and what about a virtual z museum? I think there won't occur any rubbery!
      Well, I know: to see those models is much more exciting and it'll also be a
      place to meet other Z-heads.

      was just an idea!

      best wishes, Daniel

      --
      Daniel Baechtold
      Jurastrasse 37

      http://dbaechtold.gmxhome.de
      d.baechtold@...
      daniel.baechtold@...
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
        Great idea, Daniel!

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2001
          This post is directed for David Karp for consideration.

          I really like this idea of a virutal museum from Daniel Baechtold.
          I think he is really on to something. Now here is what I was
          thinking...
          David, your web site www.zscale.org is probably one of the most
          professional looking and best conceived sites in any model
          railroad scale. The content has already become a reference for
          Z_Scale members and it continues to develop at a good clip.

          I have also noticed that you have a growing collection of US and
          relatively scarce European models. Hmmm...

          So...how much space do you have available on your server?
          Would you like to host a photo gallery of Z items as a reference
          source for the Z universe?

          I would be happy to supply photos of the NMRA Heritage cars as
          well as my scratch built stuff. I'm sure that Hans Riddervold,
          Harald Freudenreich, Rob Kluz, Reynard Wellman, Chris Miller,
          Bob Olsen et al would agree to have their products posted in the
          "MuZeum".

          What say you?

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey MacHan
          SIG disturber!

          --- In z_scale@y..., Daniel Baechtold <d.baechtold@g...> wrote:
          > Hi Z-gang,
          >
          > and what about a virtual z museum? I think there won't occur
          any rubbery!
          > Well, I know: to see those models is much more exciting and
          it'll also be a
          > place to meet other Z-heads.
          >
          > was just an idea!
          >
          > best wishes,
          > Daniel Baechtold
        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2001
            Jeffrey,

            Well, thanks for the compliment! The server belongs to me, so there's as
            much space available as I need. I'm happy to host a muZeum of the scarcer
            models. Now, there's already several sites on the web that list every car
            Marklin ever made, so I don't see much point in duplicating that. But, I
            think the world needs a place to see the art produced by the Z community.

            Now, my main concern is bandwidth, so resolution would have to be kept
            down. I'll think about a way to set this up. I encourage any suggestions!

            -David

            At 05:39 PM 11/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >This post is directed for David Karp for consideration.
            >
            >I really like this idea of a virutal museum from Daniel Baechtold.
            >I think he is really on to something. Now here is what I was
            >thinking...
            >David, your web site www.zscale.org is probably one of the most
            >professional looking and best conceived sites in any model
            >railroad scale. The content has already become a reference for
            >Z_Scale members and it continues to develop at a good clip.
            >
            >I have also noticed that you have a growing collection of US and
            >relatively scarce European models. Hmmm...
            >
            >So...how much space do you have available on your server?
            >Would you like to host a photo gallery of Z items as a reference
            >source for the Z universe?
            >
            >I would be happy to supply photos of the NMRA Heritage cars as
            >well as my scratch built stuff. I'm sure that Hans Riddervold,
            >Harald Freudenreich, Rob Kluz, Reynard Wellman, Chris Miller,
            >Bob Olsen et al would agree to have their products posted in the
            >"MuZeum".
            >
            >What say you?
            >
            >Cheers,
            >Jeffrey MacHan
            >SIG disturber!

            http://www.zscale.org/
          • Edward Scullin
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2001
              David, If you do it, you could provide links to the page that have
              the Marklin and Micro trains stuff shown alraeady (Z world etc).
              What i would like to se is either three or four pictures of the same
              thing (Side, End, Top and if needed an Obverse). That way we could
              get a better handle on how things might appear if we had one to look
              at. This would apply to cars as well as locomotives.
              just a thought
              Ed Scullin

              SNIP

              > Now, my main concern is bandwidth, so resolution would have to be
              > kept
              > down. I'll think about a way to set this up. I encourage any
              > suggestions!
              >
              > -David
              >

              > At 05:39 PM 11/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              > >This post is directed for David Karp for consideration.
              > >
              > >I really like this idea of a virutal museum from Daniel Baechtold.
              > >I think he is really on to something. Now here is what I was
              > >thinking...
              > >David, your web site www.zscale.org is probably one of the most
              > >professional looking and best conceived sites in any model
              > >railroad scale. The content has already become a reference for
              > >Z_Scale members and it continues to develop at a good clip.
              > >
              > >I have also noticed that you have a growing collection of US and
              > >relatively scarce European models. Hmmm...
              > >
              > >So...how much space do you have available on your server?
              > >Would you like to host a photo gallery of Z items as a reference
              > >source for the Z universe?
              > >
              > >I would be happy to supply photos of the NMRA Heritage cars as
              > >well as my scratch built stuff. I'm sure that Hans Riddervold,
              > >Harald Freudenreich, Rob Kluz, Reynard Wellman, Chris Miller,
              > >Bob Olsen et al would agree to have their products posted in the
              > >"MuZeum".
              > >
              > >What say you?
              > >
              > >Cheers,
              > >Jeffrey MacHan
              > >SIG disturber!

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • D. A. Karp
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2001
                Ed,

                All the links are listed here:
                http://www.zscale.org/links/moreinfo.html#links

                As for top/bottom/side views, I was fantasizing about a Quicktime-VR
                system, where several pictures of each item could be taken allowing
                visitors to "rotate" the object as though they were holding it in their
                hands. It would afford more of the feeling of a real museum, as opposed to
                simply an online catalog.

                -David

                http://www.zscale.org/