3 newest Cylindrical Hoppers

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
      InterMountain Railway Company has released 3 more photos of it's newest Z scale Cylindrical Hoppers. InterMountain has N scale photos shown on their website but we have updated our blog, Facebook, and Twitter pages with the current Z scale photos:

      Blog:

      http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.blogspot.com

      Facebook:

      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hobby-Crafts-N-More/113419992065541?ref=tn_tnmn

      Twitter:

      https://twitter.com/HobbyCrafts

      Please feel free to follow any or all to stay informed on all news and updates.

      Kevin
      Hobby Crafts N More
      http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
        When and how did they announce it to the dealers?

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
          Loren,
          � I was gonna one each of the blue colored hoppers from you but it is my understanding the are 64' in length. Lee

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
            I have to ask the same question... since this is the only announcement I can find. Is this more IM "vapor-ware"? I've had an initial deposit paid for over two years. Don't get me wrong... I very much want to see IM get into Z. I would like to see them release the ACF 2-bay covered hopper in all the paint schemes they have done for N-scale.

            I'm not holding my breath...

            Alex
            Tokyo

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 17, 2012
              Ah, 'vapor-ware' is an apt description for sure. I'm starting to feel like
              this is similar to campaign speeches......a lot of hot air.

              I do believe IM is still planning on the Z releases, but the silence sure is
              deafening and frustrating.

              I'm calling IM yet again next week to try to get more campaign rhetoric....
              I need another infusion of 'just a little longer'.

              I've heard nothing from IM so where Kevin got his info is a mystery to me.

              IM is a big company so I can see no logical reason for the delay. Certainly
              they have the money and moxy to get Z going, but I've a sneaking suspicion
              that the initial orders were not to their liking and they just aren't sure
              if they want to invest the money in Z or not.

              I personally think they should have chosen a different body style to begin
              with and I told Frank of IM just that.

              I'm now somewhat of a 'doubting Thomas' Wait and see.

              Loren

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 17, 2012
                Loren, the way I read this and the conversations at NTS, they *are* making the cars. These are the 'prototypes' i.e. the 'confirmation' that these are right? shipment. Now they make the runs! Weeks to maybe a few months for those production runs. This is what AZL goes thru. The delays can be for a lot of reasons: less volume runs getting push back a notch here and there, mistakes in the samples that require corrections, revalidation, more corrections, etc. This is what AZL has gone thru.

                They are making these cars. Even N and HO have felt delays over the past few years. But some manufactures can design the cars better so there are less issues during the initial run. Some have on-site Eng to follow it every step of the way to try and correct it before it is too far along.

                Jeff M
                SF Bay Area Z

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 17, 2012
                  Jeff,

                  You are correct on all your observations. I guess I'm just expressing the
                  disappointment in the delay that so many feel. Did I do an accurate
                  representation?

                  We Z scalers are known for being a very impatient lot aren't we!!!

                  Loren

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 18, 2012
                    The word is. The production sample are in CO. IM is inspection and if all goes good they will arrive in May for distribution in early June. This is straight from the horses mouth.

                    Norman Rockwell
                    Norm's Train World
                    401 E. Hughson / PO Box 635
                    Randolph, NE 68771-0635
                    PHONE 402-337-0424 / FAX 402-337-0424
                    www.normstrainworld.com www.pre-size.com
                    email: grpa@...

                  • mompey
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 18, 2012
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

                      > Loren, the way I read this and the conversations at NTS, they *are* making the cars. These are the 'prototypes' i.e. the 'confirmation' that these are right? shipment. Now they make the runs! Weeks to maybe a few months for those production runs. This is what AZL goes thru. The delays can be for a lot of reasons: less volume runs getting push back a notch here and there, mistakes in the samples that require corrections, revalidation, more corrections, etc. This is what AZL has gone thru.
                      >
                      > They are making these cars. Even N and HO have felt delays over the past few years. But some manufactures can design the cars better so there are less issues during the initial run. Some have on-site Eng to follow it every step of the way to try and correct it before it is too far along.

                      Jeff, I dont think we can compare IM to AZL, IM have kept everyone in the dark told dealers to take deposits and here we are many many months later and still no news, AZL & MTL seem to always be on the front foot in letting modellers know why and when, untill the IM release all they have done is tease us...how hard would it be for them to go to one of the discussion boards and let everyone know whats happening, this only frustrates buyers and irritates dealers. It seems to have become a joke, thats not good for business, if they release news on new items to come I will take it with a big pinch of salt.

                      Mike..
                    • Don Fedjur
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 18, 2012
                        Mike,

                        I fully concur with your commentary as I have tried on multiple occasions to contact IM via e-mails, letters and phone calls. Leaving detailed messages with no replies, not one. They never once returned a single phone call or replied to my letter or e-mails.

                        I gave a general nod to my favorite Z-Scale dealer for one each of everything when it comes out and now I am thinking of backing out. I have lost the "want " for this product as what little trust I had is now gone. Frankly, if they don't care enough about their business to return calls or keep to their commitments especially here in the begining, what are they gong to be like moving forward.

                        I want new Z-scale product, competition, new vendors in Z-Scale to build upon the current offerings and grow our great hobby.....but not with a partner that cannot simply communicate.

                        Don Fedjur
                        mobile phone; 760-861-5161

                        Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

                        On Mar 18, 2012, at 5:06 AM, "mompey" <mompey@...> wrote:

                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Loren, the way I read this and the conversations at NTS, they *are* making the cars. These are the 'prototypes' i.e. the 'confirmation' that these are right? shipment. Now they make the runs! Weeks to maybe a few months for those production runs. This is what AZL goes thru. The delays can be for a lot of reasons: less volume runs getting push back a notch here and there, mistakes in the samples that require corrections, revalidation, more corrections, etc. This is what AZL has gone thru.
                        > >
                        > > They are making these cars. Even N and HO have felt delays over the past few years. But some manufactures can design the cars better so there are less issues during the initial run. Some have on-site Eng to follow it every step of the way to try and correct it before it is too far along.
                        > >

                        > Jeff, I dont think we can compare IM to AZL, IM have kept everyone in the dark told dealers to take deposits and here we are many many months later and still no news, AZL & MTL seem to always be on the front foot in letting modellers know why and when, untill the IM release all they have done is tease us...how hard would it be for them to go to one of the discussion boards and let everyone know whats happening, this only frustrates buyers and irritates dealers. It seems to have become a joke, thats not good for business, if they release news on new items to come I will take it with a big pinch of salt.
                        >
                        > Mike..

                      • Don
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 18, 2012
                          I think Uncle Will's private Navy is stopping Container Ships carrying IM Cylindrical Stuff from entering any West Coast Port. I have photos of IM "preliminary" models from about 3 1/2 to 4 years ago up until last year. On close examination I think the pieces are the same in each photo. I've run into Vaporware before in Computers, but this takes the all time record.

                          ...d

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

                          > Mike,
                          >
                          > I fully concur with your commentary as I have tried on multiple occasions to contact IM via e-mails, letters and phone calls. Leaving detailed messages with no replies, not one. They never once returned a single phone call or replied to my letter or e-mails.
                          >
                          > I gave a general nod to my favorite Z-Scale dealer for one each of everything when it comes out and now I am thinking of backing out. I have lost the "want " for this product as what little trust I had is now gone. Frankly, if they don't care enough about their business to return calls or keep to their commitments especially here in the begining, what are they gong to be like moving forward.
                          >
                          > I want new Z-scale product, competition, new vendors in Z-Scale to build upon the current offerings and grow our great hobby.....but not with a partner that cannot simply communicate.
                          >
                          > Don Fedjur
                        • Ell
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 18, 2012
                            Loren,

                            Two year wait by Alex? That doesn't seem too impatient to me.

                            Ell

                            > Jeff,
                            >
                            > You are correct on all your observations. I guess I'm just expressing the
                            > disappointment in the delay that so many feel. Did I do an accurate
                            > representation?
                            >
                            > We Z scalers are known for being a very impatient lot aren't we!!!
                            >
                            > Loren

                          • Alexis
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 18, 2012
                              Don... your words perfectly describe my thoughts and attitude towards this. In my book, customer service is equally as important as quality. There is another Z manufacture that is lacking in both... so, my Z money goes else where.

                              When IM first announced they were sticking their foot into Z... I was estatic. I rushed to put in my deposit with my favorite dealer... to support IM's entrance into the Z market. I was hoping IM would start with a body style lacking in the Z world... ACF 2-bay covered hoppers, in all the different paint schemes they offer in N.

                              I can fully understand about delays... in all aspects of design, tooling, production, etc. But, to totally blow off your customer base from the start is just not acceptable... nor, is it any way to build customer loyality.

                              Alex
                              Tokyo

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

                              > Mike,
                              >
                              > I fully concur with your commentary as I have tried on multiple occasions to contact IM via e-mails, letters and phone calls. Leaving detailed messages with no replies, not one. They never once returned a single phone call or replied to my letter or e-mails.
                              >
                              > I gave a general nod to my favorite Z-Scale dealer for one each of everything when it comes out and now I am thinking of backing out. I have lost the "want " for this product as what little trust I had is now gone. Frankly, if they don't care enough about their business to return calls or keep to their commitments especially here in the begining, what are they gong to be like moving forward.
                              >
                              > I want new Z-scale product, competition, new vendors in Z-Scale to build upon the current offerings and grow our great hobby.....but not with a partner that cannot simply communicate.
                              >
                              > Don Fedjur
                            • de Champeaux Dominique
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 19, 2012
                                While looking at the pics I've the feeling that this car is equipped with Bettendorf trucks. Am I right? And if I'm right, is it prototypical? Anyway it's no matter for me as I guess I'm gonna replace these trucks with MTL rollerbearings in order to benefit of magnematic couplers.

                                Dom

                              • Alexis
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 19, 2012
                                  Hello Dom... I think your observation is correct. They look like AZL trucks/couplers, but I'm not stating that as fact.

                                  Are Bettendorf trucks prototypical for four-bay cylindrical hoppers? I don't think so. Even most three-bay cylindrical hoppers are equiped with roller-bearing trucks. I have replaced most of my Full Throttle cylindrical hoppers, as such.

                                  I hope the three photos posted are pre-production models and not the final release. I'm see quite a few flaws that will keep me from buying more than my few pre-orders.

                                  Alex
                                  Tokyo

                                • ztrack@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 19, 2012
                                    Dom,

                                    The prototype cars are being shown with AZL's Bettendorfs. They production
                                    run will come equipped with AZL's roller-bearing trucks. I am looking
                                    forward to seeing these cars in person during the Z Scale Convention.

                                    Rob

                                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                    Distributor American Z Line
                                    Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                                    and Rokuhan dealer.
                                    www.ztrack.com
                                    www.ztrackcenter.com
                                    www.ztrackresale.com
                                    www.rokuhan-store.com
                                    6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                    Dublin OH 43016
                                    (614) 764-1703

                                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 20, 2012
                                      Thanks for the statement Alex. Good trip back to Tokyo?
                                      Dom

                                      ________________________________
                                      De : Alexis <techrepjapan@...>
                                      À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                      Envoyé le : Lundi 19 mars 2012 9h57
                                      Objet : Re : [Z_Scale] Re: 3 newest Cylindrical Hoppers

                                      Hello Dom... I think your observation is correct. They look like AZL trucks/couplers, but I'm not stating that as fact.

                                      Are Bettendorf trucks prototypical for four-bay cylindrical hoppers? I don't think so. Even most three-bay cylindrical hoppers are equiped with roller-bearing trucks. I have replaced most of my Full Throttle cylindrical hoppers, as such.

                                      I hope the three photos posted are pre-production models and not the final release. I'm see quite a few flaws that will keep me from buying more than my few pre-orders.

                                      Alex
                                      Tokyo

                                      > While looking at the pics I've the feeling that this car is equipped with Bettendorf trucks. Am I right? And if I'm right, is it prototypical? Anyway it's no matter for me as I guess I'm gonna replace these trucks with MTL rollerbearings in order to benefit of magnematic couplers.
                                      >
                                      > Dom

                                    • Alexis
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 20, 2012
                                        Dom... not really. Long-haul on an ANA 777-300 was poor service. First, and hopefully last time I fly on ANA.

                                        Alex
                                        Tokyo

                                        > Thanks for the statement Alex. Good trip back to Tokyo?
                                        > Dom
                                      • Alexis
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 21, 2012
                                          I'd sure like to see BLMA come out with some Z-scale rolling-stock.
                                        • Loren Snyder
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 21, 2012
                                            I'll second that motion. Their product would be top notch without a doubt.
                                            BLMA don't make no junk.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 22, 2012
                                              Folks,

                                              On Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am (PDT) "Alexis" techrepjapan@...
                                              wrote:

                                              > I'd sure like to see BLMA come out with some Z-scale
                                              > rolling-stock.

                                              I certainly agree! And they could start with the modern 64' Trinity
                                              reefers that they have released in N and HO. In Z scale we are all set
                                              for reefers, **IF** you want to model the 20s to the 50s. But there's
                                              nothing modern available. A few years ago I suggested to MTL that they do
                                              a modern reefer. Know what the response was? "Why not take one of our
                                              plug door 50' boxcars without roofwalk and convert it to a reefer?" Not a
                                              bad idea except for the little facts that it wouldn't look much like a
                                              modern reefer and you'd have to repaint it if you couldn't find the right
                                              undecorated, which can be scarcer than hens' teeth. And, of course, there
                                              is the ever present problem of procuring appropriate Z decals. Makes a
                                              pretty hefty project and you don't wind up with a very good result.

                                              AZL, are you listening?

                                              Does anyone know what the distribution of time periods is that Z scalers
                                              model? Has there ever been a survey taken? I model 1996 just after the
                                              merger of BN and ATSF so I can use BN, ATSF and BNSF and it's late enough
                                              for modern rolling stock (especially if you're willing to fudge a little).
                                              If there aren't many modern era modelers, then the MTL reluctance to
                                              produce modern rolling stock is explained. On the other hand, AZL seems
                                              to be selling all the modern rolling stock that they can produce, modern
                                              tank cars, autoracks, hi-cube boxcars, NSC well cars, etc. So there is a
                                              market.

                                              CheerZ,
                                              -- Malcolm Z
                                            • de Champeaux Dominique
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 22, 2012
                                                Interresting thoughts.... As MTL's Joe d'Amato may relay it to his headquarters, I'm starting a poll about Z scalers' favourite / modelling era.
                                                Dom

                                                ________________________________
                                                De : Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...>
                                                À : Z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                                Envoyé le : Jeudi 22 mars 2012 18h11
                                                Objet : [Z_Scale] Re: 3 newest Cylindrical Hoppers

                                                wrote:

                                                > I'd sure like to see BLMA come out with some Z-scale
                                                > rolling-stock.

                                                I certainly agree! And they could start with the modern 64' Trinity
                                                reefers that they have released in N and HO. In Z scale we are all set
                                                for reefers, **IF** you want to model the 20s to the 50s. But there's
                                                nothing modern available. A few years ago I suggested to MTL that they do
                                                a modern reefer. Know what the response was? "Why not take one of our
                                                plug door 50' boxcars without roofwalk and convert it to a reefer?" Not a
                                                bad idea except for the little facts that it wouldn't look much like a
                                                modern reefer and you'd have to repaint it if you couldn't find the right
                                                undecorated, which can be scarcer than hens' teeth. And, of course, there
                                                is the ever present problem of procuring appropriate Z decals. Makes a
                                                pretty hefty project and you don't wind up with a very good result.

                                                AZL, are you listening?

                                                Does anyone know what the distribution of time periods is that Z scalers
                                                model? Has there ever been a survey taken? I model 1996 just after the
                                                merger of BN and ATSF so I can use BN, ATSF and BNSF and it's late enough
                                                for modern rolling stock (especially if you're willing to fudge a little).
                                                If there aren't many modern era modelers, then the MTL reluctance to
                                                produce modern rolling stock is explained. On the other hand, AZL seems
                                                to be selling all the modern rolling stock that they can produce, modern
                                                tank cars, autoracks, hi-cube boxcars, NSC well cars, etc. So there is a
                                                market.

                                                CheerZ,
                                                -- Malcolm Z

                                              • Gert Velthuizen
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 22, 2012
                                                  I am of the SD40-2 era!
                                                  More specific the late SD40-2 era.

                                                  Have fun.

                                                  Gert

                                                  To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                                  From: ddechamp71@...
                                                  Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 06:56:09 +0000
                                                  Subject: New Poll: what's your era? (was:Re : [Z_Scale] Re: 3 newest Cylindrical Hoppers)

                                                  De : Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...>
                                                  � : Z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Envoy� le : Jeudi 22 mars 2012 18h11

                                                • ladyrejoicer@charter.net
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 23, 2012
                                                    Well that is easy for me; if it says ARR then its my ERA (: