Re: [z_scale] Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars?? Email poll.

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 30 5:26 PM
      Ed,

      I've heard references to the passenger cars PennZee made/makes, but I've
      never seen a photo. Can you provide more information?

      Thanks,

      -David

      http://www.zscale.org/
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 30 6:43 PM
        Bill,

        The cars came from a gentleman named Bob Marrota. He is the same guy making
        the Ztrack well cars, transformers and accessories. They are great cars, even
        being made from cast resin. Bob is meticulous and his work shows it.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 30 7:40 PM
          The cars are resin castings. They consist of the floor, two sides ,
          two ends, and roof. They have Baggage, Combine, Coach, Diner, and
          Pullman. They come unassembled, and without trucks. Bob Olsen
          recommends Marklin Passenger Trucks, but I'm using Micro Trains. My
          price list a few years old, and at that time the kits were $25 each,
          5 for $100. Pre made and painted $60 each and 5 for $280. I wish
          they had better detail, and not so much cleanup. One day I will
          finish the ones I have started. They look Good so far.
          Ed Scullin

          --- "D. A. Karp" <z@...> wrote:
          > Ed,
          >
          > I've heard references to the passenger cars PennZee made/makes, but
          > I've
          > never seen a photo. Can you provide more information?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > -David
          >

          > At 05:09 PM 10/30/2001 -0800, you wrote:
          > >PennZee makes and sells as either made up or kit the older
          > >"heavyweight" passenger cars. Not to bad, but a bit pricey.
          > Would
          > >like to see somebody make real metal sides for them (Micron Arts
          > or
          > >Micro Structures are you listening?)
          > >Ed Scullin

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Scott A. Whitmire
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 30 10:04 PM
            At 10/30/01 08:36 AM, you wrote:
            >*************************
            >Now for the question: What North American rolling stock would you
            >like to see on the market?
            >*************************
            >
            >Send your suggestions to the list. I will compile them and later
            >start a poll to see which ones get the most votes.
            >
            >Ok, just to get the ball rolling, here are a few of my favorites:
            >- 3 bay covered hopper
            >- depressed center flat car
            >- cylindrical hopper
            >- express reefer (52')
            >- 50' flat
            >
            >So jump right in!
            >
            >Cheers,
            >Jeffrey MacHan

            17,000, 23,000 gal tankers
            60' 8" Centerbeam flat car (Gunderson or Thrall) (I need about two dozen in
            different road numbers :-)
            Thrall all-door box cars
            60' Bulkhead flat cars
            Hi-Cube 50-60' box cars
            Autorailers!
            A variety of articulated container cars (Husky, etc.)
            Containers of all kinds
            And the locos to pull them, of course (C44-9W that I can afford, SD70,
            SD60Ms, etc.)

            Scott Whitmire
          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31 6:44 AM
              Hello Ed,
              There's a lot of details that take forever to nail down. Building any kind
              of a railroad car requires research and purchasing of research materials. I
              use NMRA services for some of these things but most of the time dimensioned
              drawings and original paint standards are almost impossible to find. We have
              many requests for new products from bridges to freight cars to turnout
              motors.

              Those guys who are willing to supply detailed information get priority. And
              even though we may decide that such a project is not feasible at this time
              sometimes an idea does get all the way to production.

              "Whadda ya got?"

              Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

              > PennZee makes and sells as either made up or kit the older
              > "heavyweight" passenger cars. Not to bad, but a bit pricey. Would
              > like to see somebody make real metal sides for them (Micron Arts or
              > Micro Structures are you listening?)
              > Ed Scullin
              >
              > --- rvn20012000@... wrote:
              >> Hey Group,
              >>
              >> With regards to freight cars, I wouldn't mind seeing some covered
              >> hoppers, and some cylindrical hoppers, and some bi-level(see
              >> through)
              >> covered auto transports from the '60s?
              >>
              >> I also wouldn't mind seeing some turn of the century passenger cars
              >>
              >> like Portland Rails did? and some heavyweight '30s passenger cars.
              >> nice open platform observation car would also be nice. I actually
              >> tried that in my early days with unsatisfactory results.
              >>
              >> As always....ENJOY???
              >> Thom
              >>

              >> --- In z_scale@y..., jmac_han@h... wrote:
              >>> Hi Gang,
              >>>
              >>> Any time that a prospective Z manufacturer makes a request for a
              >>> poll, I'm happy to oblige. Unfortunately, the poll function does
              >>
              >> not
              >>> allow for open ended questions. This is not a problem! We'll
              >> simply
              >>> ask members to send in their suggestions for new North American
              >>> rolling stock.
              >>>
              >>> As you know, Micro-Trains Line, M?rklin and several small shops
              >>> have produced and continue to produce North American style
              >> rolling
              >>> stock. Here is a list of the body styles currently available
              >>> in "plastic" (AFAIK):
              >>>
              >>> Micro-Trains Line: http://www.micro-trains.com/carstyle.htm
              >>> 50' Gondola, Fishbelly Side, w/ Drop Ends
              >>> 50' Gondola, Straight Side, w/ Drop Ends
              >>> 50' Standard Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
              >>> 50' Standard Box Car, Plug Door
              >>> 50' Standard Box Car, Double Doors Operating Doors
              >>> 40' Despatch Stock Car Operating Door
              >>> 40' Double-Sheathed Wood Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
              >>> 40' Standard Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
              >>> 50' Rib Side Box Car, Single Door, w/o Roofwalk Operating Door
              >>> 40' Eight Panel Gondola
              >>> 39' Single Dome Tank Car
              >>> 40' Flat Car
              >>> 40' Bulkhead Flat Car
              >>> Caboose
              >>> 40' Standard Box Car, Double Doors Operating Doors
              >>> 40' Standard Box Car, Plug Door
              >>>
              >>> Pennzee:
              >>> 3 bay hopper
              >>> 40' reefer
              >>>
              >>> M?rklin:
              >>> 50' single door steel box
              >>> 40' gondola

            • ddechamp71@yahoo.fr
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
                --- In z_scale@y..., pat@m... wrote:
                > Hi All! Has there ever been a survey done of which North American
                > freight cars are most wanted by modellers? Could anyone point me in
                > the right direction to the results (if any)? If there hasn't been,
                > may I respectfully suggest that the moderator consider such a
                thing?
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Pat Lawless

                In my case, I would want, in the decreasing order:
                1-a covered grain hopper
                2-a covered chemical hopper
                3-a modern hi capacity tank car
                3-a tri-level autorack.
                Cheers
                Dominique
              • grumpy@gbpackers.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
                  On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:47:48 -0000 (GMT), ddechamp71@... wrote:
                  > --- In z_scale@y..., pat@m... wrote:
                  > > Hi All! Has there ever been a survey done of which North American
                  > > freight cars are most wanted by modellers? Could anyone point me in
                  > > the right direction to the results (if any)? If there hasn't been,
                  > > may I respectfully suggest that the moderator consider such a
                  > thing?
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Pat Lawless
                  >
                  > In my case, I would want, in the decreasing order:
                  > 1-a covered grain hopper
                  > 2-a covered chemical hopper
                  > 3-a modern hi capacity tank car
                  > 3-a tri-level autorack.
                  > Cheers
                  > Dominique

                  Ditto

                  Tom
                  Oz

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Get your own email account at gbpackers.com today!

                  Click here <http://www.packers.com/email/> to open your account.
                • Wild Zontar
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                    OK, here are my votes:

                    1. Covered grain hoppers
                    2. Intermodal - w/North American truck lines
                    3. Glass-lined tank cars (or tank cars in any color other than black)
                    4. Autoracks (open-sided)

                    Greg