Re: [Z_Scale] Drawing software

  • martin soll
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 5, 2012
      I am a machine design engineer, and use AutoCAD for my designs. It is a natural for me to use AutoCAD for my RR layout design, but it is pretty spendy to buy, and somewhat steep learning curve�just for this. I've also tried Anyrail, and if I didn't have ACAD, I would use it.
      Marty in Estacada, OR

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 5, 2012
        AnyRail - Up to 50 pieces of rail components free. You can do your layout as Marklin and convert to Rokuhan if you need it

        XtrackCAD: It is a good software for being free. I am sure folks spent lots of hours to develop it. So, I don't want to put it down due hard work they put.
        MAC edition: It is not Intel Compatible
        Linux Edition: It is even hard to deal for a Linux geek myself
        Windows Edition: Works even on Win7. Lots of futures but not close to
        AnyRail.

        On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Harbormaster <harbormaster@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Troop!,
        >
        > We support Don's choice for RR Track-specific software. As you know we also use Vectorworks for solid modeling, An excellent tool to use to calculate and model grades and other transitions such as the open pit mine we are building (very slowly) for a SEARAILS friend and supporter.
        >
        > BTW, did the scans work for you?
        >
        > Jim
      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
          > MAC edition: It is not Intel Compatible

          Not sure where you got that idea from - make sure you are looking at
          Xtrackcad not the old ex shareware xtrkcad version.

          > Linux Edition: It is even hard to deal for a Linux geek myself
          > Windows Edition: Works even on Win7. Lots of futures but not close to
          > AnyRail.

          I find it very useful but its way of working is idiosyncratic and you do
          need to go through the tutorials. It's not the finest most elegant app,
          it doesn't have 3D visualisation modes etc that some of the proprietary
          apps do, but for throwing stuff together quickly I find it pretty handy.

          Alan
        • david.davidksmith
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
            Malcolm--

            FWIW, my recommendation is AnyRail. It's free to try, and if you like it (seems most folks do), it's well worth the $60 fee. Professionally developed, very stable, highly intuitive interface, plus a comprehensive and up-to-date track library. The active discussion board provides great support, and most issues (what few there may be) are resolved in 48 hours or less. I've been working closely with the developer to enhance the drawing tools for more scenery options and improved appearance. Download AnyRail here:

            http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

            BTW, AnyRail was used to design the ZoCal BFY (Big Freight Yard), and the bulk of the planning work was accomplished in an afternoon. More details here:

            http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/07/definition-of-busy.html

            Regards,
            David

            http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

            > Folks,
            >
            > I'm interested in acquiring drawing software to make a layout. I've
            > heard AnyRail and 3rdplanit (sp?) mentioned. Any others? Merits and
            > drawbacks? How to acquire them? I figure on this list every available
            > drawing program, including those used professionally for non-RR purposes
            > such as AutoCad and SolidWorks, must have been tried by someone.
            >
            > CheerZ,
            > -- Malcolm Z

          • Ell
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
              I am also a Mac person. Several years ago a German firm called MacRail Soft came out with a program for the Mac to do model railroad or slot car track planning. The program is called RailModeler. The website is:

              http://www.railmodeller.com/

              This site has everything in English. The program has most of the commonly available track in railsets. They now have updated the program to include Rohukan for Z-scale. They have had Marklin from the beginning. The program is Shareware. You can download it and try it as long as you want. But it costs USD 39 (or EUR 29) to get a key that unlocks all features, such as Saving a layout or Printing.

              The program is quite easy to use, basically click and place. It has the capability of to handle flextrack. It now has the capability to add grades. There is an extensive manual that can be downloaded. I recommend it to anyone with a Mac.

              Ell Geib

              > Hi Malcolm and Folks,
              >
              > For the past 17 years I have been using PowerCadd for Macintosh computers
              > by Engineered Software Inc. See: http://engsw.com/
              >
              > Their "Tools" packages have grown exponentially over that period of time.
              > The primary package is designed for architects and mechanical engineers.
              > The Graphic User interface (GUI) is one of the easiest to learn and modify for a
              > user''s purposes. Twenty years ago most non-Apple PC users didn't even know
              > what a "mouse" was and their software packages reflected that.
              > I know this because I have had extensive training in all of them.
              >
              > For model railroad layouts I build a "symbol" for every type of track and turnouts
              > that I use. Use calipers to take measurements of the features of your track.
              > Make careful drawings of each piece, then save each with a unique ID as
              > a "symbol". You can incorporate them into your drawing at anytime, rotate them (by
              > fractions of a degree if you need to) also give them unique colors, etc. etc.
              >
              > I am not affiliated with Engineered Software and only suggesting it for folks
              > who might be interested. Go to their website for further questions as I might
              > very easily give you the wrong answer (since I don't know everything about it).
              >
              > For the amount of design work that can be accomplished using PowerCADD,
              > you will find that they are very reasonably priced as well.
              >
              > Reynard Wellman
              > http://www.micronart.com
              >

              > On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:34 AM, Malcolm Cleaveland wrote:
              >
              > > Folks,
              > >
              > > I'm interested in acquiring drawing software to make a layout. I've
              > > heard AnyRail and 3rdplanit (sp?) mentioned. Any others? Merits and
              > > drawbacks? How to acquire them? I figure on this list every available
              > > drawing program, including those used professionally for non-RR purposes
              > > such as AutoCad and SolidWorks, must have been tried by someone.
              > >
              > > CheerZ,
              > > -- Malcolm Z

            • Kevin Brady
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
                Hi all,
                Pencil and graft paper still works :-)

                Best,Kev

                On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Ell <geib@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > might
                > > very easily give you the wrong answer (since I don't know everything
                > about it).
                > >
                > > For the amount of design work that can be accomplished using PowerCADD,
                > > you will find that they are very reasonably priced as well.
                > >
                > > Reynard Wellman
                > > http://www.micronart.com
                > >

                > > On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:34 AM, Malcolm Cleaveland wrote:
                > >
                > > > Folks,
                > > >
                > > > I'm interested in acquiring drawing software to make a layout. I've
                > > > heard AnyRail and 3rdplanit (sp?) mentioned. Any others? Merits and
                > > > drawbacks? How to acquire them? I figure on this list every available
                > > > drawing program, including those used professionally for non-RR
                > purposes
                > > > such as AutoCad and SolidWorks, must have been tried by someone.

                Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

              • Thomas Creighton Sr
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
                  we only use graft paper in Chicago and Crook county, Ill everywhere else we use
                  graph paper!

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Thanks Thomas,.... :-))) my Enlish ----!

                    Best,Kev

                    On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...
                    > wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > we only use graft paper in Chicago and Crook county, Ill everywhere else
                    > we use
                    > graph paper!
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Bill Hoshiko
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
                      Track planning software is highly dependent upon your ability to learn how to use it.  Like learning to use a computer, you will be required to learn a whole new language.  If you can easily overcome the language problem then any program may be good for you.  If you think that you may have problems thinking in terms of a new language, pick the simplest (re: cheapest) program.  Programs like 3rd  Planit and CadRail can do amazing things but it can lead you into an entirely new hobby.  You may find yourself spending more time playing with the programs than doing model railroading.

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 6, 2012
                        Malcolm,

                        If you can possibly swing the trip to Z convention coming up, by all means
                        do so, as the BYM is very worthy of seeing and believing.

                        David did a great job of designing the module and with the excellent
                        construction efforts by the ZoCal group, this module is worthy of praise by
                        any and all. It almost defies description and when you see it, you just
                        can't help but whistle and say 'wow'.

                        A contingent of ZoCal boys will be ferrying this beautiful segmented module
                        out to Denver soon and will also be bringing a slew of their fine modules to
                        compliment it.

                        Anyone reading this who has opportunity to attend the Z convention, please
                        seriously consider it as it will be the best yet with much to see and do.

                        Sell the kids, mortgage the house, trade in your coin collection or whatever
                        you have to do but get to Denver for the time of your life.

                        Loren

                        FWIW, my recommendation is AnyRail. It's free to try, and if you like it
                        (seems most folks do), it's well worth the $60 fee. Professionally developed
                        very stable, highly intuitive interface, plus a comprehensive and
                        up-to-date track library. The active discussion board provides great support
                        and most issues (what few there may be) are resolved in 48 hours or less. I
                        ve been working closely with the developer to enhance the drawing tools for
                        more scenery options and improved appearance. Download AnyRail here:

                        http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

                        BTW, AnyRail was used to design the ZoCal BFY (Big Freight Yard), and the
                        bulk of the planning work was accomplished in an afternoon. More details
                        here:

                        http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/07/definition-of-busy.html

                        Regards,
                        David

                        http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

                        > Folks,
                        >
                        > I'm interested in acquiring drawing software to make a layout. I've
                        > heard AnyRail and 3rdplanit (sp?) mentioned. Any others? Merits and
                        > drawbacks? How to acquire them? I figure on this list every available
                        > drawing program, including those used professionally for non-RR purposes
                        > such as AutoCad and SolidWorks, must have been tried by someone.
                        >
                        > CheerZ,
                        > -- Malcolm Z

                      • david.davidksmith
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 7, 2012
                          Bill--

                          This is exactly why I always recommend AnyRail to people who are new to track planning software. Everyone I know who has tried using it was successful almost immediately. It is one of the easiest applications to use that I've ever seen. Many of the other applications depend on being at least somewhat familiar with how CAD software works in general, because that's what it's often based on, whereas AnyRail is designed from the ground up for ease of use. And it costs nothing to try it.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 7, 2012
                            David,

                            I went to the site. AnyRail seems to be Windows only. I am strictly Mac OS X.

                            Ell

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "david.davidksmith" <david@...> wrote:

                            > Malcolm--
                            >
                            > FWIW, my recommendation is AnyRail. It's free to try, and if you like it (seems most folks do), it's well worth the $60 fee. Professionally developed, very stable, highly intuitive interface, plus a comprehensive and up-to-date track library. The active discussion board provides great support, and most issues (what few there may be) are resolved in 48 hours or less. I've been working closely with the developer to enhance the drawing tools for more scenery options and improved appearance. Download AnyRail here:
                            >
                            > http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html
                            >
                            > BTW, AnyRail was used to design the ZoCal BFY (Big Freight Yard), and the bulk of the planning work was accomplished in an afternoon. More details here:
                            >
                            > http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/07/definition-of-busy.html
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > David
                            >
                            > http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm
                            >
                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Folks,
                            > >
                            > > I'm interested in acquiring drawing software to make a layout. I've
                            > > heard AnyRail and 3rdplanit (sp?) mentioned. Any others? Merits and
                            > > drawbacks? How to acquire them? I figure on this list every available
                            > > drawing program, including those used professionally for non-RR purposes
                            > > such as AutoCad and SolidWorks, must have been tried by someone.
                            > >
                            > > CheerZ,
                            > > -- Malcolm Z

                          • david.davidksmith
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 7, 2012
                              Lots of folks use Windows emulators on the Macs with no problems.

                              I know a couple who use AnyRail that way.

                              Kind regards,

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ell" <geib@...> wrote:

                              > David,
                              >
                              > I went to the site. AnyRail seems to be Windows only. I am strictly Mac OS X.
                              >
                              > Ell
                              >
                              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "david.davidksmith" <david@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Malcolm--
                              > >
                              > > FWIW, my recommendation is AnyRail. It's free to try, and if you like it (seems most folks do), it's well worth the $60 fee. Professionally developed, very stable, highly intuitive interface, plus a comprehensive and up-to-date track library. The active discussion board provides great support, and most issues (what few there may be) are resolved in 48 hours or less. I've been working closely with the developer to enhance the drawing tools for more scenery options and improved appearance. Download AnyRail here:
                              > >
                              > > http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html
                              > >
                              > > BTW, AnyRail was used to design the ZoCal BFY (Big Freight Yard), and the bulk of the planning work was accomplished in an afternoon. More details here:
                              > >
                              > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/07/definition-of-busy.html
                              > >
                              > > Regards,
                              > > David
                              > >
                              > > http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm
                              > >
                              > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Folks,
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm interested in acquiring drawing software to make a layout. I've
                              > > > heard AnyRail and 3rdplanit (sp?) mentioned. Any others? Merits and
                              > > > drawbacks? How to acquire them? I figure on this list every available
                              > > > drawing program, including those used professionally for non-RR purposes
                              > > > such as AutoCad and SolidWorks, must have been tried by someone.
                              > > >
                              > > > CheerZ,
                              > > > -- Malcolm Z

                            • ismail arslangiray
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 7, 2012
                                Mac edition got loaded from the main site. It is a ppc edition.
                                On Mar 6, 2012 8:53 AM, "Alan Cox" <alan@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > > MAC edition: It is not Intel Compatible
                                >
                                > Not sure where you got that idea from - make sure you are looking at
                                > Xtrackcad not the old ex shareware xtrkcad version.
                                >
                                > > Linux Edition: It is even hard to deal for a Linux geek myself
                                > > Windows Edition: Works even on Win7. Lots of futures but not close to
                                > > AnyRail.
                                >
                                > I find it very useful but its way of working is idiosyncratic and you do
                                > need to go through the tutorials. It's not the finest most elegant app,
                                > it doesn't have 3D visualisation modes etc that some of the proprietary
                                > apps do, but for throwing stuff together quickly I find it pretty handy.
                                >
                                > Alan

                              • smholt1487
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 7, 2012
                                  I have been using 3rdPlanit for many years and find this program very good for planning and simultation. The possibilty to use and mix section track and flextracks, with or without transition curves in a very flexible way, let you play around very easy to create you empire. Its also possible to simulate running trains and that could be fun in the planning stage. With the 3D-possibility, a lot of libraries available and the option to import and export dxf/dwg-files makes this product my number 1 choice in planning software.

                                  I used to work with professional CAD software for more the 25 years, and I remember I was surprised of the possibilities I had in this cheap program, compared to the CAD packages I sold and supported to the 1:1 industry, for only a very small part of the price of the professional software.

                                  Check out my page with my last layout:
                                  http://www.platelayer.com/plans-new-permanent-layout.aspx

                                  regards,
                                  Svein-Martin Holt
                                  www.platelayer.com

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Malcolm,all,
                                  >
                                  > 3rd Planit: http://www.eldoradosoft.com/
                                  >
                                  > Best,Kev
                                  >
                                  > On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...>wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > Folks,
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm interested in acquiring drawing software to make a layout. I've
                                  > > heard AnyRail and 3rdplanit (sp?) mentioned. Any others? Merits and
                                  > > drawbacks? How to acquire them? I figure on this list every available
                                  > > drawing program, including those used professionally for non-RR purposes
                                  > > such as AutoCad and SolidWorks, must have been tried by someone.
                                  > >
                                  > > CheerZ,
                                  > > -- Malcolm Z
                                • Ell
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 8, 2012
                                    David,

                                    I know people who use emulators also, I don't. I'll stick with RailModeler. It was designed from scratch to do track planning and the attributes you mention for AnyRail also apply to RailModeler. Also, it's cheaper than AnyRail.

                                    Ell

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "david.davidksmith" <david@...> wrote:

                                    > Lots of folks use Windows emulators on the Macs with no problems.
                                    >
                                    > I know a couple who use AnyRail that way.
                                    >
                                    > Kind regards,
                                    > David
                                    >
                                    > http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm
                                    >
                                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ell" <geib@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > David,
                                    > >
                                    > > I went to the site. AnyRail seems to be Windows only. I am strictly Mac OS X.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ell
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "david.davidksmith" <david@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Malcolm--
                                    > > >
                                    > > > FWIW, my recommendation is AnyRail. It's free to try, and if you like it (seems most folks do), it's well worth the $60 fee. Professionally developed, very stable, highly intuitive interface, plus a comprehensive and up-to-date track library. The active discussion board provides great support, and most issues (what few there may be) are resolved in 48 hours or less. I've been working closely with the developer to enhance the drawing tools for more scenery options and improved appearance. Download AnyRail here:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html
                                    > > >
                                    > > > BTW, AnyRail was used to design the ZoCal BFY (Big Freight Yard), and the bulk of the planning work was accomplished in an afternoon. More details here:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/07/definition-of-busy.html
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Regards,
                                    > > > David

                                  • Alan Cox
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 11, 2012
                                      On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 18:48:18 -0800
                                      ismail arslangiray <iarslangiray@...> wrote:

                                      > Mac edition got loaded from the main site

                                      Which "main site"

                                      xtrkcad and xtrackcad are two different (related) things
                                    • Don
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 11, 2012
                                        I thought xtrackcad was just the new name, and updated software, for xtrkcad, due to some copyright situation.

                                        ...don

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 11, 2012
                                          On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:13:23 -0000
                                          "Don" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                                          > I thought xtrackcad was just the new name, and updated software, for xtrkcad, due to some copyright situation.

                                          xtrkcad is the original shareware release, xtrackcad is the updated and
                                          open source one. xtrackcad is indeed derived from xtrkcad. A lot of
                                          search engines however find the xtrkcad site first still which has the
                                          old releases etc, rather than the sourceforge site.

                                          Alan